Conexxion... so whats the deal?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
The Incendio was big news when it came out. Now that the Conexxion is out, I expected quite a bit of stir over it (I know that I'm wanting one) but I havn't seen that develop.

Is there a reason for this or is it just a slow launch on a good product?

gunga

Flashaholic
I just got mine, will post a review in the next week or so...

Nice light, an AA version of the Incendio (tuned for more runtime, a bit less bright).

BirdofPrey

Enlightened

Nice light, an AA version of the Incendio (tuned for more runtime, a bit less bright).

I'm currently useing my Incendio as my night hike light. However, I'd like to move it and several CR123s into my BOB and get one of the Conexions for my hiking light since I have a ton of rechargeable batteries.

gunga

Flashaholic
Well, if you like the Incendio, you will like the Conexxion, body style and feel is the same.

Memory mode and UI is the same, beam pattern is the same (it shares the same reflector assembly/lense as the Incendio, I checked with mine).

Size is reasonable, about ths same as a Jetbeam AA, smaller than a Fenix. I still wish for a replacable clicky, but no dice.

I find the button a bit tough to use, ball-point pen style, but it works well with finger activation or cigar style (I always use o-rings on my lights for cigar style, most are too slippery otherwise).

Tuned for less power, more runtime, I think it's a great light.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened

Any word yet? I'm itching to pull the trigger and order this one. Mama is aggravated because I don't need "another light" but this one is calling my name if its as nice as the IncenDio and with all the AA rechargeables I have around here.... well, it seems ideal.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i liked the Incendio quite a bit, so i picked up a ConneXion also - liked it as well.

what might be of interest to some others, is that *IF* one doesn't need the red LED, this might just be the light to use instead of the ProtonPro.

it's just a tad shorter than the PP, and its head is essentially the same diameter. the body/battery tube appears to be just a tad larger diameter than the largest OD of the PP.

the memory mode is very nice. i really disliked that the PP always starts out on White HIGH/MAX, if one wants white light. my preference almost always is lowest o.p. level first. however, the memory allows me to choose what i want as the initial turn-on mode.

IMO, it's definitely worth a look if one doesn't need the PP red LED.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Any word yet? I'm itching to pull the trigger and order this one. Mama is aggravated because I don't need "another light" but this one is calling my name if its as nice as the IncenDio and with all the AA rechargeables I have around here.... well, it seems ideal.

I'll try to get a review out in a few days, but yes, I like it. I feel it fits better in the hand than the shorter Incendio. If you like the Incendio, you will like this one.

It is basically an AA incendio. It is a bit less bright at the gain of extra runtime. The reflector is the same and the beam pattern is the same.

Handling is very similar except the welcome extra length and slightly skinner design.

Clicky feel is about the same (same size too). CLip is also about the same tho I don't use clips.

So yes, go get one, you will be happy!

Zenster

Enlightened
I came close to getting a Connexion when they came out, but it's sort of a "ho hum" compared to either the NDI or the JetBeam I MK IBS.

While I appreciate the memory mode of the Connexion, it is NOT a programmable light.

So basically, with both the JetBeam and NDI being programmable, you can not only set the "first on" setting to be what you want, buy you can set it (and the other settings) to fine tune them to the brightness you want as well.

While the Connexion has a simpler UI simply because of the lack of programmability, the ease of programmability on the NDI and JetBeam is still very simple but also gives lots more options.

If you want a nice 1xAA light and don't have one, the Connexion would be (probably) a decent choice.
But I've got both the NDI and the JetBeam I MK IBS, so for me, the Connexion is a step backwards.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
how's the size on the NDI and JetBeam? the ConneXion is essentially the same sized as the ProtonPro, meaning that they're both the smallest AA lights that i'm aware of.

also, do you know how the burn-times compare if the other other two lights are programmed to similar levels as the ConneXion?

many thanks.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my new Connexion:

conn01qo2.jpg

It is actually very similar to the Incendio, just a bit longer but it is interesting because it uses AA cells.

Of course it is too early to pass judgement on it, I need to use it for a few days, ...er nights.:sleepy:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
it is NOT a programmable light...While the Connexion has a simpler UI simply because of the lack of programmability ....the Connexion is a step backwards.

Zenster, I totally respect your opinion. I just wanted to make sure you understood that the concept of the Incendio/Connexion family is to offer a very small, very bright, long runtime light that has a straightforward UI, forward clicky and multiple levels where you can activate on low OR on high to suit your need at any given time. This is something that CPF members have asked after for a long time.

LumaPower could easy build a multilevel programmable light but it wouldn't suit their design philosophy. Lumapower build balanced lights that are capable of high outputs and long run times which are engineered for maximum durability and efficiency. I think that Lumapower has staked out their own niche between the simple UI's and durability of Surefire/Inova and the features and enthusiast oriented details of an Olight/Fenix.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Well, I was expecting my conexion to show up today in the mail but it didn't happen so I guess I'll have to wait till Monday. :-(

Kippers

Newly Enlightened
I bought the Incendio from Battery Junction and liked it so much I got the Connexion when it came out. I have been using the Connexion for about a week and think it is a great light. The spacing between low, med, high is excellent with the very low low that so many have requested. The tint is one of the best at color definition on both the Incendio and Connexion. For me I think I will prefer the Connexion because it can be left on high for a while without becoming excessively hot like the Incendio which is brighter. The Incendio must be handheld on high to prevent overheating. The Connexion is also a little longer which I find very comfortable to hand carry. No strobe or SOS on either to click thru is a plus. Clip is unobtrusive (with no sharp edges) and provides good anti-roll. Table stand is excellent. Cree rings are very faint and not noticeable in normal use. My only complaint is the lack of HA III. Very happy so far with both lights and I think they are close to the top for EDC usefullness.

e0603

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how I almost missed this light! I really like the looks and size of it, and the level spacing looks very nice (AFAIK it has the lowest low of any non-programmable high-performance 1xAA light, which is appreciated). The beam and tint look great too and I like the idea of a forward clicky in this type of light.

I have one question about the memory mode. I've seen a few posts re: this light and the IncenDio (what's with the weird caPitalization? :confused:) that make me think the memory works differently than I originally thought it did. Can some ConneXion owner clear up what happens in the following situation:

- Stay in low for more than 2 seconds so it memorizes the setting.
- Turn off light.
- 10 seconds later, use the momentary on for < 1 second. (During this flash, it should be in low, as I understand it.)
- After releasing momentary, wait 10 seconds (light is off).
- Click to turn light on. At this point, what mode is the light in, low or medium?

I initially thought it would be in low, because it has not been in another mode for 2 seconds in order to memorize a different mode. But selfbuilt's excellent IncenDio review (here) seems to clearly state that it would have advanced to the next mode, it would be in medium. :thinking: This isn't necessarily a deal-breaker, but I want to make sure I understand how it works. Thanks for any info!

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Click to turn light on. At this point, what mode is the light in, low or medium?
To answer your question, neither! It will be in high. Each time the IncenDio or ConneXion is turned on, it has to remain on for 2 sec. in order to memorize the setting. If less than 2 sec, it skips to the next mode the next time it's turned on. And the order is High, Med, Low.

gunga

Flashaholic
Yep, just as stated. It's a weird quirk. I find a forward clicky with this type of memory mode to be kinda strange.

You are correct about a low low on a high performance/non-programmable light.

Life has been catching up on me, I gotta get a review out, likely early next week.

It's a nicely made light, good design.