Light of the month club?

sawlight

Enlightened
Sorry, I am a bit shocked. I even got wrapped up in it as well.
I joined up as the HDS supply died up, I wanted one, THEN all I head about was the Novatac, I REALLY WANTED ONE!!
I got one, I like the light, I am happy with the light. Sure it had it's teething problems, but I see nothing major wrong with it.
The comes the RA, WOW!!!! The Novatac is junk, got to get rid of it for this!! Now the RA clicky. better yet, and the folks on the fence are eager to sell the Novatac down the river.
The EO1, I really thought this was the ticket!! I wanted an Arc aaa, but had higher expectations for runtime, and I still think they are a bit pricey.
After seeing beam shots and reading reviews, I am glad I didn't jump on that wagon! It's now what I had expected! I may pick up one of the stupid cheap Arc's now:whistle:
The E1B, neat light, but from what I've read and seen, I'd take an L1 just so I could hold onto the sucker!
It goes on and on.
So When does it stop? I used to make fun of Smith and Wesson for releasing custom guns once a month. Nothing really that spectacular about most of them, just a small change here, and little mod here. I am seeing a lot of this with the "rush" for new lights.
Now I realize a lot of you are bashing the Novatac for Henry's sake, I respect that, but really it's tough enough and I don't want anything bigger in my pocket!
So are just chasing the next thing to chase it? Is there really enough change in that short of a time that our lights are that dated that quickly?
I don't want a flame war, I am not singling out anyone, or anyone manufacturer just trying to understand it a bit better.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the lights dated that quickly? Good question. I don't think so. I actually think there are a few luxeon and even (gasp) nichia lights that are good enough to still be contemporary. It all depends on what you want in a light. We are a forum full of mostly hobbyists, and for many people part of that hobby is having the newest or most advanced technology available and **** on everything else. Good question, though.

TECENG

Newly Enlightened
Aw, man. After reading the subject line, I thought I could sign up and have a chance to win a new light every month!

Zenster

Enlightened
Now I realize a lot of you are bashing the Novatac for Henry's sake, I respect that, but really it's tough enough and I don't want anything bigger in my pocket!
So are just chasing the next thing to chase it? Is there really enough change in that short of a time that our lights are that dated that quickly?
I don't want a flame war, I am not singling out anyone, or anyone manufacturer just trying to understand it a bit better.

Not me!
Some points:
1. I love my 120P, and if my wife gave me an ultimatum to get rid of all the lights except one, I'm pretty sure that it would be the 120P that would stay. The Novatac is the one light that does the most and works for just about any situation I've needed it for.

2. I tire of people, as you say, jumping on any new light that is announced as if it's "the perfect" one that will be the best of the best.
I don't care who makes it, a new light is a new, untested light, and "promises" and "expectations" never meet up when the new light arrives.

3. Yes, I'm watching the RA Clicky to see what comes of it. And I'll "probably" be an early customer AFTER I get a feel for exactly what's supposed to be so super about it.
At this moment in time, I don't see an improvement over the Novatac's UI, and the RA Clicky's larger size makes it a bit less "exciting" to me.
The only thing that seems to be desireable about it is that it's supposed to be more durable, but my Novatac isn't fragile by any means.

So while ya'll get excited about the next new and improved light, and you're salivating about spending yet another $200, I'll just kick back and slip my 120P in my pocket when I go out at night and feel just a little smug. ;)