The best most versatile keychain light

Highbeam101

Newly Enlightened
I currently have a gerber tempo on my key chain. It's just not cutting it.
I'm looking for high quality light that has ample power and runtime. but can also go low enough for close work and fit comfortably on a keychain. I really like the P1D, but it seems their low is still pretty high.

I don't make any decisions on buying these days without hearing you guys out first. Would appreiciate any and all suggestions. Also thinking about a rubber sleeve for added protection. Would that cause overheating problems?

Last edited:

Retral

Newly Enlightened
Re: The best most versitile keychain light

Liteflux LF2X seems like a pretty nice small light.. it's got an extremely low low & a ton of programming options.. granted, it is AAA and the runtime isn't godlike.. but it's still not a bad light.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

im 99% sure there was an exact thread like this....someone please search?

anyway, LF2X, by very far...not neccesarily best, but most versatile...

Crenshaw

HKJ

Flashaholic

The LiteFlux line of lights are the most versatile flashlights on the market, the LF2 and LF2X are small AAA lights. I do not known the LF2, but the LF2X needs a bit of adaption to be used on a keychain, it includes parts for keychain mounting, but the lock is not secure enough.

Another small and very nice light is the Fenix L0D, also a AAA light, but not as advanced as the LiteFlux (No :hairpull: finding out the user interface).

Your could also check Lummi, they have some small and very bright lights, but only high/low mode.

NetMage

Enlightened

My key chains have a Draco and a MillerMods L0P, but I don't consider them EDC lights.

I EDC a P1D and (normally) a Spy005 (using SureFire A2 while my Spy is upgraded).

David Gretzmier

Newly Enlightened

fenix lod for me, but no low low. I find low /medium on the 10440 or high on the alkaline/nimh is perfect for 90% of the outdoor work I do at night.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

:eek: you don't edc your draco? it's such a fine light not to be used.

My key chains have a Draco and a MillerMods L0P, but I don't consider them EDC lights.

I EDC a P1D and (normally) a Spy005 (using SureFire A2 while my Spy is upgraded).

Enzo Morocioli

Enlightened

I suggest the Photon Freedom Micro... It's not expensive, runs a good while on easily found batteries, level ramping and auto-off features, momentary, strobes and sos too. Also you can get the covert nose version, which limits the spill and doesn't blind you as easily.. Can be found in many LED color outputs.. I use Night-vision-red and I've had it on my keys for a long while, it's holding up great. Less importantly it's not a shame to loose one on accident either.

It doesn't have the output of the fenixes and other aforementioned lights, but for what I tend to use a keychain light for, its value can't be beat.

Last edited:

kurni

Enlightened

Depend on the size you're willing to put up with. I initially love AAA but realising the discharge capability of AAA; I switched to A123.

My 1st priority is efficiency; my 2nd is maximum brightness; hence Fenix P1D (twistie) / P2D (clickie).

I prefer clickie because the head often come off in my pocket; hence P2D. LiteFlux however, has a unique switch; you loosen the head to turn on. I haven't tried it, but in theory it should prevent the head coming off in your pocket.

I'm still tempted by LF2X every now and then; but I keep telling myself to keep my P2D for the sake of greater discharge ability.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Kurny, the LF2X is nice, but your P2D is pretty small as well. I know - I have both.

As long as you're happy with the P2D you're not missing out on not getting the LF2X. :)

HKJ

Flashaholic

Hi Kurny, the LF2X is nice, but your P2D is pretty small as well. I know - I have both.

As long as you're happy with the P2D you're not missing out on not getting the LF2X. :)

I would not agree, the LF2X has many functions that the P2D does not and it is much thinner.
I think that they are very different lights.

DSC_1224a.JPG

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would not agree, the LF2X has many functions that the P2D does not and it is much thinner.
I think that they are very different lights.

DSC_1224a.JPG
Yes I agree that they are very different lights, to picky people like us flashaholics.

But to someone who just wants a small pocketable light, either will do just fine. The P2D maybe even preferred because of the clicky, whereas the LF2X may come on accidentally in a pocket, and in high mode can overheat and damage the LED.

Retral

Newly Enlightened

The P2D maybe even preferred because of the clicky, whereas the LF2X may come on accidentally in a pocket, and in high mode can overheat and damage the LED.

Quite honestly, I'd expect the opposite. I've accidentally turned on a clicky in my pocket on several separate occasions.. it takes a bit more effort to twist a certain part of it.

HKJ

Flashaholic

Yes I agree that they are very different lights, to picky people like us flashaholics.

But to someone who just wants a small pocketable light, either will do just fine. The P2D maybe even preferred because of the clicky, whereas the LF2X may come on accidentally in a pocket, and in high mode can overheat and damage the LED.

I would say that they are very different to all people, the Fenix has a much better UI, if your want to use all the features of the light.

The LF2X is much smaller (I would not want a CR123 light in my pocket, but a AAA light is fine). It has a lot of functions, but your only need to use a simple twist when it is programmed. And that twist can be programmed so the light is safe in a pocket, even if it turns on, and I believe that a twist is safer than a push.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I consider the Freedom to be a great backup light. If need be, you can ramp it down and get tremendous runtime so then you can have more of a barn burner for a primary keychain light.

I suggest the Photon Freedom Micro... It's not expensive, runs a good while on easily found batteries, level ramping and auto-off features, momentary, strobes and sos too. Also you can get the covert nose version, which limits the spill and doesn't blind you as easily.. Can be found in many LED color outputs.. I use Night-vision-red and I've had it on my keys for a long while, it's holding up great. Less importantly it's not a shame to loose one on accident either.

It doesn't have the output of the fenixes and other aforementioned lights, but for what I tend to use a keychain light for, its value can't be beat.

FsTop

Enlightened

+1 on Draco. It's a truly amazing light.

You did say "best".