SureFire, a Brief History

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Ran across this researching the 9P's history:

SureFire is a story of what can be accomplished with light. The tale begins in 1969 when an engineer with a Ph.D. from Cal Tech decided the future lay in lasers. Dr. John Matthews founded the Newport Corporation to harness the power of the laser for industrial applications. Over the next decade, the Newport Corporation grew to become a leader in the laser field, pioneering a host of industrial uses for the laser. Patents were issued, contracts were won, business boomed.

Basking in the glow of success, ......................

Read the entire article here.

Reference
http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobs/Company/C8D1XX733YB1Q6814C1/SureFire-LLC/

Admin edit: Full article replaced with a sample to avoid copyright infringement. - Empath

Last edited by a moderator:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ran across this researching the PH50:

As a natural outgrowth of Combative Concepts Inc., Mr. [Ken J.] Good at the request of John Matthews (owner of SureFire) became the founding director of the SureFire Institute, a well-known low-light training institution that was staffed with former military and law enforcement personnel and supported by an extensive adjunct staff from around the country.

Mr. Good has now turned his attention to the development and distribution of best-of-breed HID searchlight technology and is working with Polarion of South Korea [as Polarion-USA] to move this technology forward.

"WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW." ABOUT POLARION-USA. Polarion-USA. 31 May 2008. <http://www.polarion-usa.com/media/Foundations.html>.

Last edited:

blinder switch

Newly Enlightened
Good info there. And I use two 9P's with P60L's on my AR 15's. I had a feeling it was durable years ago and it has been one durable light. Even when I did not use shock isolated bezels (sometimes I do though) with incan P90's and P91's those 9P's and parts never failed during many hundreds of rounds going through my two carbines.

Illum

Flashaholic
d00d...three job openings?
Surefire actually hires people? gee...I thought surefire was like Area 51 where brilliant engineers from private firms just disappear one day and wind up working for them.
mmm, I take it that John decided to throw his Sr. Mechanical Design Engineer in the lake:ohgeez:

Last edited: