Your Ultimate (Realistic) Light -- What do you wish was being produced but isn't?

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all know there are a lot of elements that go into a flashlight making it into production. Technical limitations are only one factor. Companies need to consider markets, supply chains, competition, costs, areas of primary focus. Many things can impact whether we, the users, actually get our hot little hands on a product or not. Well, I don't really care much about all that. I just want cool lights.

This thread isn't about fantasy lights (10,000 lumens for 100 hours on 1 battery, which gets turned into solid gold when the cell is depleted. Only $10!!) This thread is about what COULD be produced RIGHT NOW but ISN'T.

This is what I wish I could buy right now, but nobody will sell to me:

SureFire U1 - based on the old U2 chassis (not the UA2/UB2 chassis), just cut down to 1x123. Put a more efficient LED in it and underdrive it for a 40-60 minute runtime on high. I think is the obvious baby brother for the two new lights and a great way to continue to utilize the old platform which I am not keen to see fade away.

SureFire Regulated Incan Turbohead
- PK has stated that SF is not developing incan bulbs anymore. Fine. I don't like it, but I can deal with it. Why not take one of the existing turbohead lights and put a regulator in it? It will boost sales of the turbo lights and allow for additional revenue from an existing platform in the form of the bulbs. We know these exist in prototype form. A turbo A2 would be a wonderful thing to bestow on the world as a final parting shot to history.

McGizmo LunaSol 38 - This may very well be the light I want more than any other. I doubt it's under development, but I think my brain will explode if I learn this is being produced. The S27-PD is tied for my favorite light of all time (see below). Combine an S27 reflector with the flood of a LunaSol/Mule in one light and I will have reached flashlight nirvana. Too big for EDC, but ideal for night hiking.

HDS/RaClicky GT
- My other favorite light is my HDS U60XRGT. There is just no other light that renders colors more correctly. It is my standard reference light. I wouldn't upgrade the LED in it if someone offered me the rarest best LED in the world and said they'd do the mod for free. I really, really, REALLY want to see Henry support the GT feature in the new Ra Clickie series. He told me he will consider it in a few months and I hope he follows through. I'd like to see other makers strive to support a similar feature in their LED offerings as well.

What are the lights that YOU believe COULD be produced TODAY that would get you excited if you learned they were actually coming?

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
I would want a 50 million candlepower spotlight.
It would probably have a 15'' reflector and a 35W HID bulb. I would expect it to by roughly twice as large and heavy as my 15 million candlepower Thor.

A 50mcp spotlight like this could easily be produced, but who would need such a thing? It wouldn't sell.

The largest light I know of (and have) is this one http://www.professionalsfavorite.com/professionalsfavorite/CandleSpotlight.asp
It has a larger reflector than my 15mcp Thor, and I think its reflector is also larger than the Costco HID's reflector.

I bought the Professional's Favorite 17.5mcp from Advance Auto Parts for $40.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Proton Pro with slight tweaks:

1) Totally get rid of the red LED, but keep the same UI. That is, from off, click on for high white, then hold down to dim AND from off, press and hold to ramp from minimum white brightness to max.

2) MOP reflector instead of smooth.

3) Bump up the bin to Q5 or higher

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
single light that has a sliding adjustable body tube that can transform into 1aa - 2aa - 1cr123 - 2cr123 and had general and turbo head twist modes like fenix

user adjustable lumens
general mode levels , low low , low , med , high
turbo - max lumens & strobe or maybe max and minimum

reverse and tactical clicky tailcap both in one, select via programmed clicks like 5 rapid clicks and the 6 click press and hold ,then a blink to confirm the switch

body design and knurling grip like new LFX5T,Novatac and NDI , efficiency as good or better than a fenix,wouldnt mind a bit bigger size for heat dissipation

quality must be top notch and no issues whatsoever

willing to pay a premium as this could essentially be the last light i need :thumbsup: for general REALISTIC use of course

Last edited:

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
My ultimate light doesn't exist, but several makers have come close enough to make me think it's possible.

1) Two cell (cr123) max. The new E2L is about as long as I'd like to get for EDC

2) Two level, two beams with a floody low and a throwy high.

3) The ability to select low or high before turning the light on. (SF U2 and Fenix L1T do this well)

4) Tailcap forward clicky.

5) Ability to use different battery types and chemistries with different tubes

6) Easy enough to upgrade

So...who wants to make it?

naggalowmo

Newly Enlightened
I think I will come out of hiding :eek: and say that a focusable E1b would be perfect for me.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire U1 - based on the old U2 chassis (not the UA2/UB2 chassis), just cut down to 1x123. Put a more efficient LED in it and underdrive it for a 40-60 minute runtime on high. I think is the obvious baby brother for the two new lights and a great way to continue to utilize the old platform which I am not keen to see fade away.

This one is possible with a adapter :D

CIMG2708Small.jpg

CIMG2705Small.jpg

Sad thing is i dont remember the name of this Surefire adapter...
And i sold the lights some time ago..
I had to use a R123 to power the lights.
The Tailcap is a RPM creation but the original tailcap fits aswell.

Enjoy

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want a HX2 Typhoon with a P7 led output at least 300 lumens, a large deep reflector like the Pelican LAPD 7060 led . It runs on a rechargeable Li-Ion battery with a quick charger that goes from dead battery to fully charged in less that 60 minutesthat you can charge in the light or out. It should come with AC/DC cords. You should also be able to buy spare rechargeable batteries that aren't some weird battery configuration that you need a PhD to find.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you been following Don's sundrop? a light designed for correct color rendition using HI CRI Nichia 083 emitters.

I am enjoying the Lunasol concept as well.
IMHO a little more dynamic range and more control would be cool.
I doubt we will ever see this due to the difficulty in obtaining suitable drivers for the current design let alone drivers which offer more options like an adjustable high and low levels.

Unfortunately I doubt we will ever see a 38mm lunasol head.
Don had a bunch of the 27's and I believe the 20mm reflectors. I suspect that his preference would be to use up as many of these as possible before having more CUSTOM reflectors made.
Personally a 38mm head would be to large for me to comfortably use on any kind of regular basis.

For me the Lunasol 20 is closest to perfect. It fits in my pocket as well in a holster. I have 2 very usable beams in one light.
The High is a beam totally on a par with my prior EDC a McGizmo PD. The low is a nice soft wide beam perfect for close-up work and night vision adjusted movement.

My lunasol 27 is also darn close to perfect. I EDC it on a lanyard around my neck. The light also fits nicely at the bottom of my pocket.
Today The Lunasol 20 is in it's holster on my belt and the Lunasol 27 is in the bailout bag at the ready.

All that said.
I am really looking forward to seeing the Surefire UA2. In many ways with it's variable output, and the ability to focus and adjust the beam are functions which are very useful. The Lunasol has a wide low and a high throw beam.
My hope for the UA2 is that It will be able to produce a nice soft (out of focus) low beam as well as the ability to have an out of focus light at a much higher level. How nice. the ability to combine this with a high beam (very high) which can be focused and directed get me going when all in the same light. Having high dynamic range as well as the ability to focus the energy of the light soft and wide to hard and long. The direction that Surefire is going in is very much that I want to see more of. Next will be the ability to adjust the color of the beam from perfect white to any color of the spectrum. This will come in the future.
Yaesumofo

We all know there are a lot of elements that go into a flashlight making it into production. Technical limitations are only one factor. Companies need to consider markets, supply chains, competition, costs, areas of primary focus. Many things can impact whether we, the users, actually get our hot little hands on a product or not. Well, I don't really care much about all that. I just want cool lights.

This thread isn't about fantasy lights (10,000 lumens for 100 hours on 1 battery, which gets turned into solid gold when the cell is depleted. Only $10!!) This thread is about what COULD be produced RIGHT NOW but ISN'T.

This is what I wish I could buy right now, but nobody will sell to me:

Surefire U1 - based on the old U2 chassis (not the UA2/UB2 chassis), just cut down to 1x123. Put a more efficient LED in it and underdrive it for a 40-60 minute runtime on high. I think is the obvious baby brother for the two new lights and a great way to continue to utilize the old platform which I am not keen to see fade away.

Surefire Regulated Inca Turbohead - PK has stated that SF is not developing incan bulbs anymore. Fine. I don't like it, but I can deal with it. Why not take one of the existing turbohead lights and put a regulator in it? It will boost sales of the turbo lights and allow for additional revenue from an existing platform in the form of the bulbs. We know these exist in prototype form. A turbo A2 would be a wonderful thing to bestow on the world as a final parting shot to history.

McGizmo LunaSol 38 - This may very well be the light I want more than any other. I doubt it's under development, but I think my brain will explode if I learn this is being produced. The S27-PD is tied for my favorite light of all time (see below). Combine an S27 reflector with the flood of a LunaSol/Mule in one light and I will have reached flashlight nirvana. Too big for EDC, but ideal for night hiking.

HDS/RaClicky GT - My other favorite light is my HDS U60XRGT. There is just no other light that renders colors more correctly. It is my standard reference light. I wouldn't upgrade the LED in it if someone offered me the rarest best LED in the world and said they'd do the mod for free. I really, really, REALLY want to see Henry support the GT feature in the new Ra Clickie series. He told me he will consider it in a few months and I hope he follows through. I'd like to see other makers strive to support a similar feature in their LED offerings as well.

What are the lights that YOU believe COULD be produced TODAY that would get you excited if you learned they were actually coming?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lights i would like to see made...

Surefire Kroma,Seoul p4-U2 single cell with
Red,White Nichias,YG and UV

McGizmo Lunasol 23 :D More Nichias and a slightly bigger reflector.Implementing a virtual level using the red chip in the Dragon Led.

HDS RA Twisty Clicky pack (I know the Ra Clicky is about to be born)
Its all about the accessories. :D

Surfire L1,more heads to choose from.And colors.

Cannot think of anymore now...
Oh yes..

A small P7 light similar to the Arcmania Mega Extreme...Basically a Maxlite with a P7 run from one single CR123...I believe 1400mA to the led and 20 min Runtime :D
Pocket rocket indeed..

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Fenix P3D with a circuit that will make it work with L1D, L2D, and P2D bodies. It also needs to have a 123A body tube wide enough to fit 17670 lithium ion cells and maybe another battery tube for 18650 cells. I don't know why Fenix doesn't make this light already. Imagine Fenix being able to produce only one product (other than AAA lights) for the heads. They could cut down on production costs by mass producing only one head for four or five lights (L1D, L2D, P2D, P3D, 18650 light), and then putting on the body tube before shipping. I want to see Fenix sell just the head also as an option for those of us that already have one of the four current models.
2. PT Quad headlight with Nichia GS l.e.d.s
3. PT EOS headlight with Cree XRE Q5 or R2 l.e.d. (optic has to be made for a cree, no rings in beam)
EOS and Quad headlights have to be made of polycarbonate like older PT lights. Polymer used now is too brittle and cracks after a while.
4. Fenix headlight that incorporates existing parts from Digital series lights.

jag808808

Enlightened
My ultimate edc is the LunaSol 27. What made it ultimate is having the ability to take AA batteries on the fly. It is a Tranquility Base 2AA body with a McClicky. With a simple twist of the head, I get the medium throw I need. This is my work EDC. Perfect for underdesk work, checking underfloor, and checking in ceilings. When I need a small form factor, I put the McGizmo body back on...

P1080116Medium.jpg

P1080117Medium.jpg

maxa beam

Banned
Titanium body, 2X CR123(And takes rechargeables.) p7 driven to 550ish lumens, deep reflector. Multiple modes. Possible focusing?

A guy can dream.

Burgess

Flashaholic
In no special order . . . .

Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Luxeon --

Upgrade to a new, "modern" emitter.
While you're at it, how 'bout "turn-the head" click-stops
for variable brightness levels ( 100 %, 25%, and 5%).

(Fenix) Civictor V1 --

Keep it a single-stage light. Simplicity is the real beauty here.
Oh, and by all means, Keep this a " twisty " !

TerraLux TLE-5 module for Mini-Maglite 2AA --

This is the Original, 1-watt Luxeon model, now several years old.

This is a more modest, Longer-Runtime version
of their (current) TLE-5EX (EXtreme).

You can even "tweak" this DOWN a notch or two.
to increase runtime another coupla' hours.

_

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'd be happy with more warm led lights. I'd be happy if my HDS EDC got u bin LEDs with 3200-4000k tint and 90ish cri.

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to see the MagLed flashlights updated with a lux k2 tffc led running at a lower mahs to provide the same overall light output but with increase runtime. Another side benefit would be it wouldn't get dim after 15 mins due to lower operating temp from less mah. Oh! keep the price the same also.

A new and improved MagCharger with more battery capacity,smart charger,3 leds similar to the one that Terralux puts out. More light longer runtime.

Inova Bolt 2aa with a tfcc led ran the same as above and put the batteries in right side up this time.:whistle:

An led lantern that runs on 12v(8d's in series)with an external power jack so I can run it from the truck when I camp. Maybe with that new cree 4 die chip with Off/Nightlight/Low/Medium/High as the modes.NO STROBE OR SOS!!!!!!!

A Surefire 6P/G2 that uses 2aa batteries.
I guess that's it for now. I'll probably think up some more later after a few drinks! It is Saturday night after all.:naughty:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I guess I have pretty low expectations....:eek:

Shiningbeam Romisen RC-N3/Q5, BUT with a twist-on tailcap.

Romisen RC-C3, with a Q5 emitter.

A surefire 6P in 2AA format, for use with 2x14500 cells. The added capacity and run time over RCR123s would be nice, and it would be smaller/lighter than a 2x18650 design.

Last edited: