Whats the best 14500 battery?

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
edit, changed topic and new modified question.

Old question:
It looks like there are a lot of diferent naming standards for batteries, not only just european and american standards but also the diferent manufucturers have there own names.

Anybody know of a place to find a list of all the diferent namnes/numbers etc?
To make it easyer to know what is what.

For instance the manufactor Saft has a LS14500 for moderate current output max 120mA. And then theres the LS14500-CNR, -2PF and -CNA but these last 3 dosn't look like regular batteries.

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Re: 14500 -ER6 - R6 - AA list of model numbers?

The LS14500s are 3.6v batteries, unlike the normal 1.5v ones. They are AA sized but will probably fry most electronics powered by AA batteries.

14500s here usually means the AA sized Li-ion rechargeable battery(14 50 0, 14mm wide, 50 mm long, 0 round cylindrical shape), which is 3.6/3.7v normal and 4.2v fully charged(though there are some different chemistries with different voltages).

They have similar sized but are for different uses and have different voltages.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Re: 14500 -ER6 - R6 - AA list of model numbers?

Okay, thanks! I just orderd a LiteFlux LF5XT so I need some 14500 it will take up to 4.5V. Any recomendations for whats the best, and where to buy?

Illum

Flashaholic
Get AW cells, they're up to their quality.
Trustfire's protected cells where a protection PCB is slapped onto an existing unprotected cell and call it a protected cell, which does not comply with the ANSI dimension of 14500, its more like 14530...which adds unnecessary tension to battery springs and a mutual effect on the PCB board.
AW makes unprotected 14500s that are actually 14470s to compensate for the additional PCB. Theres a thread on this that, in some areas, give very useful dimensions of comparison. I'll see if I can find it:ohgeez:

Look around in Flashlight electronics about AW's cells:)

Patriot

Flashaholic
I'm also a very big AW fan these days. I uses them nearly exclusively for my li-ion needs. I've never received one that wasn't up to par.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so Betteries included means discus batteries, I thought it meant Flashlight whit built in batteries, discused here.

Thanks everybody for your help! :)

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
I have been reading up on Li-ion saftey. Is the AW the safest 14500?
And having a good charger and using them whit discharge protection on in the flashlight, what other risks is there?

DM51

Flashaholic
If you:

· Buy good quality protected Li-Ion cells
· Use a good quality charger
· Don't charge them at >1C
· Don't charge them to >4.2V
· Attend to the charge, watching out for any sign of overheating
· Don't discharge them at >2C (runtime should be >30 mins)
· Don't discharge them to <3.5V resting (or <3.0V under load)
· Make sure they are balanced with other cells when used in multi-cell applications
· Inspect them regularly for any sign of damage, dents, discoloration etc
· Recycle them when they can no longer hold ~80% of charge (4.0V)

Then you will not have a problem with them.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! That was a lot of ifs... how fast do they reach the 80% mark?

So I should always charge them fully before leaving them to rest for al longer time?

DM51

Flashaholic
It's a simple enough list, actually. If you treat Li-Ions well, not driving them too hard or discharging them fully each time, they should last you several years and 500-1,000 charge/discharge cycles.

It is better to top them up after each use than to discharge them to empty. Remember that the low-voltage protection is there for safety reasons, not as a reminder that the cell needs recharging.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you:

· Don't discharge them to <3.5V resting (or <3.0V under load)

Then you will not have a problem with them.
Didn't know about that one - thanks for the tip.
Unfortunately, my 10440s are getting quite a work out.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
As recomended I have now orderd som Protected 14500 and a WF-139 charger from AW.

Thank you all for your help!

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
old topic but i have a question above is mensioned "Don't discharge them to <3.5V resting (or <3.0V under load)"
so if i understand correct you cant drain those batteries complete? (i mean until the flashlight stop lighting up)
and this is valid for both protected and unprotected version?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Nofearek9,

Some lights have circuits built in to shut the light off when the cell voltage drops below a certain voltage.

Protected cells have a protection circuit that shuts the cell off at something around 2.50 - 2.75 volts.

There is no problem draining a Li-Ion cell all the way to 0.00 volts, but in the process of doing that there are changes in the chemistry of the cell. The problem comes when you try to recharge that cell. Over discharging a cell makes it prone to instability during charging. There are several other factors involved with this, but basically it is not a good idea, unless you plan to simply recycle the cell after using it this way.

Tom

nofearek9

Newly Enlightened
thanks you,lot of stuff to pay attention with those batteries :)

*edit*
another question is it ok ,if you have a battery on a flashlight for long period (more than 1 month) ?

Last edited: