Audi R8 Headlights

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
This belongs in the automotive section as much as here, but since I figured the LED gurus could speculate better I stuck it here. Searched but didn't see any other threads on it.

Audi R8 to offer full LED headlights

Anyone wanna speculate what sort of configuration they're running here? I couldn't find any information on the manufacturer of the lamps. I suspect they're using some sort of optic to get the beam pattern of a conventional headlight, and probably multiple LED's to get both the throw and flood.

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
This belongs in the automotive section as much as here, but since I figured the LED gurus could speculate better I stuck it here. Searched but didn't see any other threads on it.

Audi R8 to offer full LED headlights

Anyone wanna speculate what sort of configuration they're running here? I couldn't find any information on the manufacturer of the lamps. I suspect they're using some sort of optic to get the beam pattern of a conventional headlight, and probably multiple LED's to get both the throw and flood.

I am wondering on the design of the reflectors/optics with multi LEDs.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Audi claims that LEDs more accurately replicate sunlight, giving drivers better overall night vision

I find this hard to believe. Well-driven incandescent lights are much closer to sunlight than any LED that I have seen. Also, what happens in fog? Audi drivers will be driving blind with all the light bouncing straight back at them.

cars equipped with LED lights will save about a gallon of gas a week compared to a car equipped with traditional lights

That I find a bit tough to believe too. I shall go through the physics later on and see if that is viable.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree the marketing department was hard at work on that article. :shakehead

And ~$17,000? Wow that's probably the most expensive LED light I've seen at $8,500 apiece. :faint:
I do wonder what LEDs they are using as well as what optics solution they've come up with.

vincebdx

Newly Enlightened
k2r8py8.jpg

54 Luxeon K2 :faint:

Daekar

Enlightened
54 Luxeon K2 :faint:

No wonder they cost so much! They would've been better off with Ostars... I'm sure they're kicking themselves now that things like the P7 and 4-core Cree are out...

Of course... if the CRI/temperature/spectrum aren't pretty great, they would've been better off with HIR bulbs and decent wiring...

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I think they are playing very conservative there.
Just think about the Rebel thing... Something like that would be cause for a recall of the car, costing millions worth of publicity.

Also note how low they drive the leds.

d1dd1

Enlightened
"Blinkleuchte" is only the direction indicator, so I'm not sure if they use the K2s also for the headlight.
The screenshot just says they are using 8x yellow Luxeon K2 in the direction indicator

Last edited:

mds82

Enlightened
I was thinking of making myself a set of LED fog lights, using 4x cree MC-E's once then become available. It would be a very simple design, 4 led's in a row with a mirror directly above the Led facing 90 degrees ( to make the cutoff pattern). this way none of the light will project upwards and all of light will project in a wide angle forward

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
how long till the ppl from the car forums ask us here for "how to emitter swap"-guides?

:)

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
how long till the ppl from the car forums ask us here for "how to emitter swap"-guides?

:)

That would be pretty funny. Once this tech gets down to the more entry level cars like the 3 series and the A4 there will probably be a huge market for aftermarket emitter swaps.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
is'nt there a legal limit on the amount of light your headlight can produce so as not to blind oncoming traffic, i think its 55W for dipped beam on your standard halogen lamps i duno what it is, if its the same for xenons.

if this is the case swapping emitters might be illegal, number one reason to swap an emitter-to get more light.

it does make sense to ditch halogen bulbs in favour of LED but there would need to be some sort of limit to the light levels

coolwaters

Newly Enlightened
well i did some research and DOT doesnt approve on any mods...stupid people just want to make some money off us...

dont think theres a limit since theres 100w HIDs out there. but they say you have to aim them lower or you'll get a fat ticket.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
well i did some research and DOT doesnt approve on any mods...stupid people just want to make some money off us...

dont think theres a limit since theres 100w HIDs out there. but they say you have to aim them lower or you'll get a fat ticket.

Those are still illegal.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
I don't like the trend. I have no problems with LEDs used as daytime running lights, where color rendition is irrelevant, but in my opinion, replacing main headlights with LEDs is a very, very bad idea with current generation LEDs.

I do a lot of driving in deer country. My low beams are HIDs, my high beams are halogen. There is NO WAY I'm going to give up my halogen high beams for LEDs, no matter how cool they are. I want to be able to see deer in foliage on the side of the road as far as possible, and nothing - not even HID - beats oldschool halogen bulbs for that purpose. LEDs with their red-deficient spectrum just SUCK for deer identification. It's a sad fact of life. LED headlights will also suck for driving in rain and fog. Blinding effect on other drivers will also be more pronounced. Not many people realize that right now.

Unless car manufacturers specifically use high CRI LEDs for headlights - which is not going to happen because they're going for higher efficiency and that ricer blue look - it's going to become a serious safety issue. Mark my words. :thumbsdow

Last edited: