Need help finding a Li-Ion Charger

matt0

Enlightened
I have some cheap RCR123 made by "UltraLast" I got at FRY's. It was something like $24 for a charger and two cells. However, I would rather use something a little better.

Lately, I have been using a SureFire C3 with a Dereelight drop-in (soon to be a Malkoff M60)

Well, using primary batteries can get expensive and since I only have two rechargable cells, they wont work in a C3. I've heard that 17500's are a common setup in a 3x R123 light. What brand is the best? I hear tons of good reviews about AW cells (does batteryjunction sell these?) but I'm clueless when it comes to what charger I should get. Since you guys know so much more than me, I'm asking for your suggestions.

Things I would like in a charger:
- Multiple "bays" so I can charge more than 2 battery's at a time
- Compatablity with other sized cells (17670, 14500, and plain RCR123's)
- I would like one that charges fast... what's an approx charge time for two 17500s? I have some D-sized NiMH that take FOREVER to charge. Ideally, I would want them to charge in 2hrs or less..

Just to be on the safe side, it is 2x 17500's that I want for a C3 right? I would want protected cells right?

Anders

Enlightened
Hello matt0.

Ni-Mh can be charged fast, 1 h is safe and good for the cells but with Li-Ion it is another question.

It take 2-3 hours to charge a fully depleted Li-Ion cell to 100%.

fenix-store.com and lighthound.com also sell AW:s cells.

PILA IBC is a better choise than Ultrafire WF-139, much safer.

I think it is hard to find a charger that charge more than two cells at the same time, you can buy a RC charger with balancing options and find a multi cell holder and charge them in series if you want to spend $100+.

Here is a link describing a multi cell holder and much more info about your questions.

Anders

Last edited:

matt0

Enlightened
Thanks for everyone's help. I found one of AW's threads and he was selling the WF-139 along with his batteries so I assume they should work together pretty well.