PEAK
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie LED flashlight problem

Enlightened

Default Newbie LED flashlight problem

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and flashlights. Just bought my first tactical type LED flashlight and I had problems right away. It's a Hugsby brand M2 CREE LED 230 lumen flashlight. Now it worked fine with some Surefire single use 123A batteries and when I tried the rechargeable batteries that came with the light I got a split instant of light then nothing. I am guessing that the LED/bulb has blown.

What I'm wondering is would you think it was a faulty LED/globe or the batteries maybe ? The batteries are Ultrafire LC 16340 880mAh 3.7v (was told they are 123A). I have tested the batteries on a multimeter and they are reporting 4.2v each. Any ideas as to what may be the problem. I don't want to keep buying bulbs/leds or the wrong batteries just for testing as they are kinda of expensive.

Thanks for any help you can give

Default Re: Newbie LED flashlight problem

I can't be 100% certain, but it could be the LED. I checked out the flashlight and they're able to handle 2 x 3.7v from your RCR123a batteries.

Does it still run when you put your two SF CR123a batteries in?

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Dalork View Post
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and flashlights. Just bought my first tactical type LED flashlight and I had problems right away. It's a Hugsby brand M2 CREE LED 230 lumen flashlight. Now it worked fine with some Surefire single use 123A batteries and when I tried the rechargeable batteries that came with the light I got a split instant of light then nothing. I am guessing that the LED/bulb has blown.

What I'm wondering is would you think it was a faulty LED/globe or the batteries maybe ? The batteries are Ultrafire LC 16340 880mAh 3.7v (was told they are 123A). I have tested the batteries on a multimeter and they are reporting 4.2v each. Any ideas as to what may be the problem. I don't want to keep buying bulbs/leds or the wrong batteries just for testing as they are kinda of expensive.

The led itself won't blow just like that. Sounds like the circuit in your flashlight was unable to handle the higher voltage of the rcr batteries

Enlightened

Thanks for the help and also the welcome.

No the flashlight doesn;t seem to work with the single use SF 123A's either now. It doesn't seem to function at all.

So does this just mean I need a new LED/globe section of the flashlight and the batteries are most likely fine ? How do I know what CREE bulb would be ok/safe to use with these batteries ?

do you have a link to the flashlight?

Enlightened

It was a ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Surefire-Styl...713.m153.l1262

I can't seem to find much info on the Hugsby so hard to see what a new LED head would be/cost etc...Is there any other budget brands you folks know off that would be a good unit if I can't get a new LED section for this flashlight ?

I can't afford Surefire as they cost a couple hundred here. All I know is I need something like the Hugbsy M2 that puts out 220-300 lumen and can use the surefire red FM35 type filter.
    Last edited by Dalork; 06-02-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Thanks for the help and also the welcome.

No the flashlight doesn;t seem to work with the single use SF 123A's either now. It doesn't seem to function at all.

So does this just mean I need a new LED/globe section of the flashlight and the batteries are most likely fine ? How do I know what CREE bulb would be ok/safe to use with these batteries ?
    Led's doesn't work that way like normal bulbs. There's not different led's for different batteries or voltages, they all have a forward voltage between 3 and 4 volts. If it is the led that is broken, witch I doubt it is, you will have to do some soldiering to change it. All high power flashlights have either a circuit controlling the current/voltage supplied to the led, or a resistor limiting the current. Led lights have a lot more electronics inside than old fashion lights. If you need to change the led, just pick one of the latest cree's like the Q5 or R2.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by mighty82 View Post
    Led's doesn't work that way like normal bulbs. There's not different led's for different batteries or voltages, they all have a forward voltage between 3 and 4 volts. If it is the led that is broken, witch I doubt it is, you will have to do some soldiering to change it. All high power flashlights have either a circuit controlling the current/voltage supplied to the led, or a resistor limiting the current. Led lights have a lot more electronics inside than old fashion lights. If you need to change the led, just pick one of the latest cree's like the Q5 or R2.

So I need to replace the whole flashlight ? I can't see where the circuitry is/would be unless it's incased in the head where the LED is. lol, I'm thinking it's all going to end up in the "too hard" basket

Flashaholic*

its not a CREE bulb, its an emitter

unscrew the head and see what happens, if a lamp like assembly falls out you may just be in luck

i know nothing about this light.

PS: For that price you can buy a Surefire on ebay its not up right now but theres someone that usually sells the 6P for 43ish OTD w/ BIN.
    Last edited by jake25; 06-02-2008 at 06:11 PM.

It really looks like a P60 style light. If you unscrew the head and get a module like that (please take a picture if possible), an upgrade can be had for as little as $10

Enlightened

Here's a couple of pics.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jake25 View Post
    its not a CREE bulb, its an emitter

unscrew the head and see what happens, if a lamp like assembly falls out you may just be in luck

i know nothing about this light.

PS: For that price you can buy a Surefire on ebay its not up right now but theres someone that usually sells the 6P for 43ish OTD w/ BIN.
    Thats not Australian Dollar I'd bet, plus isn't the Surefire 6P a lower lumen Xenon ?

What I need is around 200-300 Lumen, would prefer LED and needs to be the size of the Hugsby (which I think is Surefire 6P size). Needs the same size head as I need to fit a red surefire FM35 filter. It's to be mounted on an air rifle for pestcontrol at night or low light (hence the red filter)

Hi all,

Why can't you get a refund or exchange on this new item? Please contact the seller and push to get your monies worth!

Enlightened

I can but seeing as I bought it overseas the postage makes it not worth it. They are too expensive locally.

I have contacted the company I bought it off but have not had a reply from them. I thought I might join here and see what i could learn, the original part may just be too cheap/crappy for all I know.

I was hoping I may find a replacement module just as bright but maybe better quality that will work with the 123A 3.7v batteries. I was thinking that the rest of the flashlight should be ok as it's just the metal casing really isn't it ?
    Last edited by Dalork; 06-02-2008 at 07:01 PM.

That's a P60 style dropin all right. This list contains all sorts of options for you. Just pick one which suits your needs AND voltage range (4-8.4v)
    Last edited by Marduke; 06-02-2008 at 07:15 PM.

Flashaholic*

Thats not Australian Dollar I'd bet, plus isn't the Surefire 6P a lower lumen Xenon ?

What I need is around 200-300 Lumen, would prefer LED and needs to be the size of the Hugsby (which I think is Surefire 6P size). Needs the same size head as I need to fit a red surefire FM35 filter. It's to be mounted on an air rifle for pestcontrol at night or low light (hence the red filter)
    From your pictures that is a Lamp Assembly, LA that you can pull out and put new ones in very easily

Your light is the same price, USD, as a Surefire 6P

it's called P60 style flashlight and thats what the 6p is too, its a very easy "drop-in" light. all you need to do is buy a new LA and your light is as good as new

Enlightened

Sounds like all will be well. Thanks everyone for all the help, just need to work out which type of drop in I need. How do you work out the lumens value of a cree led ?

I needs to be 230-290 lumen pretty much, not a wide spread beam, more spot/pencil light and needs to be able to use the 123A 4.2 volt batteries I already have

Flashaholic*

This is a R2 emitter which is one step above a Q5

Most P60 Lights are a bit on the floody side

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

it can take the 7.4V from RCR123's

This would be a cheap replacement of your P60 lamp they can get up to 60$ around

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by jake25 View Post
    This is a R2 emitter which is one step above a Q5

Most P60 Lights are a bit on the floody side

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

it can take the 7.4V from RCR123's

This would be a cheap replacement of your P60 lamp they can get up to 60$ around
    I think what was meant to originally be in my flashlight was a Q5. So that lamp assy. would be at least 200+ lumens ?

With the Surefire 6P can you just change/drop in the LA also so I'm guessing it would be easy to change from the 90lumen Xenon to a birghter more energy friendly CREE LED LA ?

Would you be able to post here or message me where the Surefire can be had for that price ?

You (and everyone) else have been a fantastic help.

One thought I have, you said all this style light are floody. Do you know of any other style flashlight like these that are more spotty/pencil beam that could be used on a rifle ?

Maybe I could keep this one for everyday use and get something with a more direct beam for the pestcontrol ?

Flashaholic*

a R2 is one step above a Q5, so it could and probably will have more lumens than your Q5. Then again its all about how hard the LED is being driven, the Q5 can give out 230 Lumens from the emitter if its driven at 1.0-1.2A, the R2 probably 250-260 at that current. Since both your old Q5 and this DX R2 are "chinese" made, they could carry between 750mah to 1.0A. By Chinese made i mean that they were produced quickly and not as high of a quality. there are some good Chinese companies that make great dropins such as Dereelight, see below.

about changing out the 6P to a 200 lumen dropin, yes its as easy as you pulled out your own LA.

i can't help you w/ the gun things

re: the 6p its on and off, this guy from Las Vegas, NV sometimes sells the Surefire6P for 37.99+5$ shipping

I have a Surefire C2 w/ an ebay Q5 dropin, i'll be getting a Q5 3SD from dereelight soon

http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm
    Last edited by jake25; 06-02-2008 at 07:48 PM.

For a replacement module(P60 type) look at the thread Marduke linked to.

I'd pick this one because you can be sure it will work with 2 RCR123 batteries and shipping is also included in Dealextreme's price(that goes for all products there). Shipping could take a bit of time though.

Enlightened

It normally takes 2-3 weeks shipping when I buy from china anyway. Sad thing is they are alot closer than America but items from America take like 8 days, lol thats faster than items within my own country half the time.

Thats also the same drop-in LA that Jake25 just suggested. That price works out cheaper than ebay as the one I was thinking of is that price plus $10 shipping. Will be a cheap option to get me out of trouble for now at least.

Again, many thanks everyone for all the help. I have several friends I know who are after the same set-up once I get it all sorted out.
    Last edited by Dalork; 06-02-2008 at 07:57 PM.

GUnner12's link up there is one of the best i have used...

just get that, shipping is included, and youll have a very very up to date light.

whats more, with that you CAN use rechargables...

Crenshaw

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    GUnner12's link up there is one of the best i have used...

just get that, shipping is included, and youll have a very very up to date light.

whats more, with that you CAN use rechargables...

Crenshaw

Ahhh, at last someone who has actually used the suggested module. Thank you for the input also, is it very bright ? Only thing I notice is it will use upto 18v, does that mean with the rechargeables I have 4.2v each total 8v) it wont be very bright or that I'll just get a shorter runtime ?

I think its regulated, meaning that it will stay at its brightness from 3.7v-18v... i am not exactly sure, to my eye RCR123As look brighter then CR123As, but it might just be my own wishful thinking....

either way, i can tell you that its VERY bright on either configuration.

you might want to note, that the operating V of RCR123As is around 3.6v, but off the charger they WILL measure 4.1v-4.2v.

Whats bright? its about at least as bright as the malkoff...differnt beam pattern though. THe only reason that i am using the malkoff over it, is beause i prefer the tint of the malkoff.

off topic... which part of australia are you from? i used to live on the Gold Coast...for about 5 years...

Crenshaw

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    I think its regulated, meaning that it will stay at its brightness from 3.7v-18v... i am not exactly sure, to my eye RCR123As look brighter then CR123As, but it might just be my own wishful thinking....

either way, i can tell you that its VERY bright on either configuration.

you might want to note, that the operating V of RCR123As is around 3.6v, but off the charger they WILL measure 4.1v-4.2v.

Whats bright? its about at least as bright as the malkoff...differnt beam pattern though. THe only reason that i am using the malkoff over it, is beause i prefer the tint of the malkoff.

off topic... which part of australia are you from? i used to live on the Gold Coast...for about 5 years...

Crenshaw
    Hmmm, does this mean that the 3.7v ultrafire batteries I have will end up being a tad low on power ? What happens when they drop to 3v after a little use ? Though I'm guessing it's really going to be around 6v min as there is 2 batteries.

I have no real world idea of brightness as this is my first trip into the world of flashlights lol. All I know is that people doing the same kind of thing tell me I need a min of 200 lumen and a max of 300lumen.

As to where I am, Adelaide, down in South Australia.

you will have 6v+ in there, so you really have nothing to worry about

your only problem will be if you choose to use 18650 batteries in there, those are twice the size of Cr123As, and you only use one in the battery tube. The problem is that thier v is also 3.6 and off the charger 4.2. So, considering that the Vin (input voltage) of the module is min of 3.7, you could only run the 18650 for awhile before it will need charging.

Crenshaw

Let me rain on this party.
    This is a prime example of you get what you pay for.

You will end up spending the same all over again to make it work.
    Try sending just the drop in back to the seller for replacement. Send them an email telling them it was basically DOA not working after installing the included rechargeables.
    The real issue is that the quality on these cheap clones is terrible.
    Even if they do work they will not last.

Now why do you need so many lumens? How do you know the output of the light you received? Please don't tell me that you know it because you read it on the auction.
    Lumen ratings on e-bay auctions of this nature are designed to suck you in. the products rarely deliver.

IMHO you would be well served to start from scratch. Write this off and call it a learning experience.
    Buy a surefire 6P and a drop in from a reputable dealer (malkoff comes to mind).
    Yes you will have to spend another $120.00 (US or so to get what you want but it WILL work and WILL be backed up by a REAL person who WILL answer e-mails and will CORRECT any problems. The Surefire 6P is backed up by a lifetime warranty. wel worth the few extra bucks.

Look don't worry about this. Just chalk it up to a learning experience. Heck you could probably get 25 for the body on the BST forget the drop in it is gone....
    Yaesumofo
    Support your local flashlight builder.
    Buy American. Stop crying and start Buying.
    Flashlights are tools. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by yaesumofo View Post
    Let me rain on this party.
    This is a prime example of you get what you pay for.

You will end up spending the same all over again to make it work.
    Try sending just the drop in back to the seller for replacement. Send them an email telling them it was basically DOA not working after installing the included rechargeables.
    The real issue is that the quality on these cheap clones is terrible.
    Even if they do work they will not last.

Now why do you need so many lumens? How do you know the output of the light you received? Please don't tell me that you know it because you read it on the auction.
    Lumen ratings on e-bay auctions of this nature are designed to suck you in. the products rarely deliver.

IMHO you would be well served to start from scratch. Write this off and call it a learning experience.
    Buy a surefire 6P and a drop in from a reputable dealer (malkoff comes to mind).
    Yes you will have to spend another $120.00 (US or so to get what you want but it WILL work and WILL be backed up by a REAL person who WILL answer e-mails and will CORRECT any problems. The Surefire 6P is backed up by a lifetime warranty. wel worth the few extra bucks.

Look don't worry about this. Just chalk it up to a learning experience. Heck you could probably get 25 for the body on the BST forget the drop in it is gone....
    Yaesumofo
    the simple fact is that anywhere other then the US is expensive buying surefire. Buying one from BST is cheaper, but its not THAT much cheaper. And if your primary concern is for output/price, surefire is not the way to go.

his problem is the drop-in, NOT the build of the light overall, so there is no point in telling him to buy a 6P and a led drop in when its gonna cost so much.

People will eventually want to buy a surefire or two of thier own, but everyone starts out small...so let him start with this, and later on get a C2 or something...

Crenshaw

Enlightened

Yaesumofo, what you say makes sense and we all know that the buy once/cry once rule is normally a good one.

But we all have budget limitations and our expectations of what we perceive as quality is often subjective. Just because you buy a top brand name doesn't mean you get top quality. Also there isn't much support here in Australia for Surefire products from shops/dealers and Surefire themselves wont even deal directly with Australia ATM.

I know someone whom has had many dealing with Surefire products in the past and they have had their problems just like any other product so they now no longer get Surefire. Either way, for the moment Surfire and like brands are out of my budget range. It is a tool that needs to do a certain task but will not be used that much. If I had a constant use for it maybe that would then be a different matter.

As to how bright do I know I need ? Well as I already said I know other people whom already have these set-ups and they have informed me that I need the 200+ lumens. Do I know what the actual output from the unit I bought off ebay is ? No, I don't but I did have another flashlight on loan which is bright enough and the flashlight I had bought was fractionally brighter so it was enough for my intended use.

The finish and body of this flashlight seem to be of a good general quality, certainly as good as the other brands I have looked at (including Surefire) though the electrics may certainly be differeing qualities I agree.

All in all I'm happy, the folks I bought this flashlight off have responded now and are quite happy to send me a replacement (though it cost me as much in postage as a new unit rolf) so they have been quite good to deal with.

Not everything cheap is junk and not everything expensive is good quality. Too many people rely on brand names but you do normally get what you pay for. Sadly I need to justify most the things I buy and put a use Vs dollar value upon them. Heck, if I could afford better lol I would have bought better to start off with, and I'm certain if I find enough use for it later on when I maybe able to afford/justify the cost of a top quality brand name I will most certainly grab one

I've just got to get by still till that day or I win lotto hehehe, which ever comes first.