Newbie LED flashlight problem

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and flashlights. Just bought my first tactical type LED flashlight and I had problems right away. It's a Hugsby brand M2 CREE LED 230 lumen flashlight. Now it worked fine with some Surefire single use 123A batteries and when I tried the rechargeable batteries that came with the light I got a split instant of light then nothing. I am guessing that the LED/bulb has blown.

What I'm wondering is would you think it was a faulty LED/globe or the batteries maybe ? The batteries are Ultrafire LC 16340 880mAh 3.7v (was told they are 123A). I have tested the batteries on a multimeter and they are reporting 4.2v each. Any ideas as to what may be the problem. I don't want to keep buying bulbs/leds or the wrong batteries just for testing as they are kinda of expensive.

Thanks for any help you can give

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't be 100% certain, but it could be the LED. I checked out the flashlight and they're able to handle 2 x 3.7v from your RCR123a batteries.

Does it still run when you put your two SF CR123a batteries in?

Also, :welcome:

mighty82

Enlightened
Hi all,

I'm new to the forums and flashlights. Just bought my first tactical type LED flashlight and I had problems right away. It's a Hugsby brand M2 CREE LED 230 lumen flashlight. Now it worked fine with some Surefire single use 123A batteries and when I tried the rechargeable batteries that came with the light I got a split instant of light then nothing. I am guessing that the LED/bulb has blown.

What I'm wondering is would you think it was a faulty LED/globe or the batteries maybe ? The batteries are Ultrafire LC 16340 880mAh 3.7v (was told they are 123A). I have tested the batteries on a multimeter and they are reporting 4.2v each. Any ideas as to what may be the problem. I don't want to keep buying bulbs/leds or the wrong batteries just for testing as they are kinda of expensive.

The led itself won't blow just like that. Sounds like the circuit in your flashlight was unable to handle the higher voltage of the rcr batteries :thinking:

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help and also the welcome.

No the flashlight doesn;t seem to work with the single use SF 123A's either now. It doesn't seem to function at all.

So does this just mean I need a new LED/globe section of the flashlight and the batteries are most likely fine ? How do I know what CREE bulb would be ok/safe to use with these batteries ?

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
It was a ebay listing

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Surefire-Sty...photoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1713.m153.l1262

I can't seem to find much info on the Hugsby so hard to see what a new LED head would be/cost etc...Is there any other budget brands you folks know off that would be a good unit if I can't get a new LED section for this flashlight ?

I can't afford Surefire as they cost a couple hundred here. All I know is I need something like the Hugbsy M2 that puts out 220-300 lumen and can use the surefire red FM35 type filter.

Last edited:

mighty82

Enlightened
Thanks for the help and also the welcome.

No the flashlight doesn;t seem to work with the single use SF 123A's either now. It doesn't seem to function at all.

So does this just mean I need a new LED/globe section of the flashlight and the batteries are most likely fine ? How do I know what CREE bulb would be ok/safe to use with these batteries ?
Led's doesn't work that way like normal bulbs. There's not different led's for different batteries or voltages, they all have a forward voltage between 3 and 4 volts. If it is the led that is broken, witch I doubt it is, you will have to do some soldiering to change it. All high power flashlights have either a circuit controlling the current/voltage supplied to the led, or a resistor limiting the current. Led lights have a lot more electronics inside than old fashion lights. If you need to change the led, just pick one of the latest cree's like the Q5 or R2.

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Led's doesn't work that way like normal bulbs. There's not different led's for different batteries or voltages, they all have a forward voltage between 3 and 4 volts. If it is the led that is broken, witch I doubt it is, you will have to do some soldiering to change it. All high power flashlights have either a circuit controlling the current/voltage supplied to the led, or a resistor limiting the current. Led lights have a lot more electronics inside than old fashion lights. If you need to change the led, just pick one of the latest cree's like the Q5 or R2.

So I need to replace the whole flashlight ? I can't see where the circuitry is/would be unless it's incased in the head where the LED is. lol, I'm thinking it's all going to end up in the "too hard" basket :thinking:

jake25

Enlightened
its not a CREE bulb, its an emitter

unscrew the head and see what happens, if a lamp like assembly falls out you may just be in luck

i know nothing about this light.

PS: For that price you can buy a Surefire on ebay its not up right now but theres someone that usually sells the 6P for 43ish OTD w/ BIN.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
It really looks like a P60 style light. If you unscrew the head and get a module like that (please take a picture if possible), an upgrade can be had for as little as $10

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Here's a couple of pics.

led.jpg

led2.jpg

led3.jpg

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
its not a CREE bulb, its an emitter

unscrew the head and see what happens, if a lamp like assembly falls out you may just be in luck

i know nothing about this light.

PS: For that price you can buy a Surefire on ebay its not up right now but theres someone that usually sells the 6P for 43ish OTD w/ BIN.

Thats not Australian Dollar I'd bet, plus isn't the Surefire 6P a lower lumen Xenon ?

What I need is around 200-300 Lumen, would prefer LED and needs to be the size of the Hugsby (which I think is Surefire 6P size). Needs the same size head as I need to fit a red surefire FM35 filter. It's to be mounted on an air rifle for pestcontrol at night or low light (hence the red filter)

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
Hi all,

Why can't you get a refund or exchange on this new item? Please contact the seller and push to get your monies worth!

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
I can but seeing as I bought it overseas the postage makes it not worth it. They are too expensive locally.

I have contacted the company I bought it off but have not had a reply from them. I thought I might join here and see what i could learn, the original part may just be too cheap/crappy for all I know.

I was hoping I may find a replacement module just as bright but maybe better quality that will work with the 123A 3.7v batteries. I was thinking that the rest of the flashlight should be ok as it's just the metal casing really isn't it ?

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
That's a P60 style dropin all right. This list contains all sorts of options for you. Just pick one which suits your needs AND voltage range (4-8.4v)

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
Thats not Australian Dollar I'd bet, plus isn't the Surefire 6P a lower lumen Xenon ?

What I need is around 200-300 Lumen, would prefer LED and needs to be the size of the Hugsby (which I think is Surefire 6P size). Needs the same size head as I need to fit a red surefire FM35 filter. It's to be mounted on an air rifle for pestcontrol at night or low light (hence the red filter)
From your pictures that is a Lamp Assembly, LA that you can pull out and put new ones in very easily

Your light is the same price, USD, as a Surefire 6P

it's called P60 style flashlight and thats what the 6p is too, its a very easy "drop-in" light. all you need to do is buy a new LA and your light is as good as new

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like all will be well. Thanks everyone for all the help, just need to work out which type of drop in I need. How do you work out the lumens value of a cree led ?

I needs to be 230-290 lumen pretty much, not a wide spread beam, more spot/pencil light and needs to be able to use the 123A 4.2 volt batteries I already have

Dalork

Newly Enlightened
This is a R2 emitter which is one step above a Q5

Most P60 Lights are a bit on the floody side

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11836

it can take the 7.4V from RCR123's

This would be a cheap replacement of your P60 lamp they can get up to 60$ around

I think what was meant to originally be in my flashlight was a Q5. So that lamp assy. would be at least 200+ lumens ?

With the Surefire 6P can you just change/drop in the LA also so I'm guessing it would be easy to change from the 90lumen Xenon to a birghter more energy friendly CREE LED LA ?

Would you be able to post here or message me where the Surefire can be had for that price ?

You (and everyone) else have been a fantastic help.

One thought I have, you said all this style light are floody. Do you know of any other style flashlight like these that are more spotty/pencil beam that could be used on a rifle ?

Maybe I could keep this one for everyday use and get something with a more direct beam for the pestcontrol ?

jake25

Enlightened
a R2 is one step above a Q5, so it could and probably will have more lumens than your Q5. Then again its all about how hard the LED is being driven, the Q5 can give out 230 Lumens from the emitter if its driven at 1.0-1.2A, the R2 probably 250-260 at that current. Since both your old Q5 and this DX R2 are "chinese" made, they could carry between 750mah to 1.0A. By Chinese made i mean that they were produced quickly and not as high of a quality. there are some good Chinese companies that make great dropins such as Dereelight, see below.

about changing out the 6P to a 200 lumen dropin, yes its as easy as you pulled out your own LA.

i can't help you w/ the gun things

re: the 6p its on and off, this guy from Las Vegas, NV sometimes sells the Surefire6P for 37.99+5$ shipping

I have a Surefire C2 w/ an ebay Q5 dropin, i'll be getting a Q5 3SD from dereelight soon

http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm

Last edited: