Tenergy Protected RCR123 3.0v ..stops at 2.8v?

Joshatdot

Enlightened
Is it normal for them to "turn off" at 2.8v or there abouts?

I was doing a runtime test on my P1D CE Q5 on TURBO, and it shut off about 30mins. The thing was very hot, so I put everything in the freezer for 10mins. I checked the reading on the bat and it was at 3.48v. I let the batt run in the P1D again on LOW and let it run out again.

Anywho, it ran out, after a short while I checked the bat and it was 2.88v and slowly climbed to 2.91. I put it back in the P1D at low, and only lasted less than a min. I checked it was at 2.74

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know they have protection built in for overcharging and I believe they have the same for over discharge. My Tenergy batteires come off the charger at 3.8 volts. So I would say at 2.8 they are dead. Time to recharge.

mdocod

Flashaholic
each time you are pulling the voltage down to the same level, whatever the protection is set to, probably around 2.5-2.75V region, the voltage you are measuring is whatever the cell is rebounding to after resting. Even after the first time it tripped off, and you rested it in the freezer, rebounding to ~3.5V still means the cell is very dead. Continuing to try to drag more energy out of the cell by letting it rebound over and over is both hard on the protection circuit and hard on the "guts" of the cell itself.