Various Li cells react with salt water?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck

Newly Enlightened
I do a lot of recreating in and around sea water. If a light containing LiCo rechargeables floods, how ugly is that going to be? If the answer is "vent with flame" or something else fairly nasty, that's really going to reduce my enthusiasm for all those AW cells I just ordered. :mecry:

There are several small dive lights that use Li primaries. What will these do when (not if) they flood?

Are LiFePO4 safe even in sea water?

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I am thinking that the problem with salt water is that it conducts electricity. If that is the extent of the problem, then protected cells would shut down if the current draw exceeds the pcb limit. Unprotected LiCo cells would probably vent with flame. LiFePO4 seems like it could go either way depending upon the resistance of the sea water and the cooling effect on the cell. They can certainly tolerate higher currents than LiCo though.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... someone should probably get an old LiIon cell they don't really care about, overcharge it or do something else abusive to it, then throw it in a bucket of saturated salt water and see what happens.

Also, if you're tihnking of using this in a metal dive light, check to see if your light has something to serve as a sacrificial anode, such as a chunk of zinc. I once read a review on here where one poster ended up turning on his light, and it corroded shut permanently.

DM51

Flashaholic
The matter is discussed quite extensively in that other thread, so to avoid cross-posting I will close this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.