Looking for a foldable fruit knife whit long blade.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Going on a vacation in Greece. In July and would need a knife to cut fruits like big watermelons. So the blade needs to be about 6" / 15cm. A blade material that don't rust or get destroyed by the acidic fruit juices. And foldable for easy packing. And sheap so forgeting it or loosing it in customs don't hurt to badly.

Any sugestions?

Last edited:

paulr

Flashaholic
Going on a vacation in Greece. In July and would need a knife to cut fruits like big watermelons. So the blade needs to be about 6" / 15cm. A blade material that don't rust or get destroyed by the acidic fruit juices. And foldable for easy packing. And sheap so forgeting it or loosing it in customs don't hurt to badly.

Any sugestions?
There's an Opinel folding fish knife with a blade that long. Might be just what you want. Nice thin blade, slices very easily, fairly inexpensive, traditional wooden french-peasant style of handle, locking ring, and yet the knife doesn't look violent at all despite its size. I bought one years ago, no idea where it is now.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not just get an inexpensive knife there? I have the AG Russell and it is very nice, never tried it on a watermelon though

-LT

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
There's an Opinel folding fish knife with a blade that long. Might be just what you want. Nice thin blade, slices very easily, fairly inexpensive, traditional wooden french-peasant style of handle, locking ring, and yet the knife doesn't look violent at all despite its size. I bought one years ago, no idea where it is now.
Thank you, I orderd exactly one of these:
FIL-Bubinga-main.jpg

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just keep it dry, when the wood handle gets wet it'll swell and very very hard to open/close the blade.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just keep it dry, when the wood handle gets wet it'll swell and very very hard to open/close the blade.

A friend of mine recommends soaking them in mineral oil to combat this problem. I've had good luck doing the same thing with a really light silicone oil.

-LT

guyg

Newly Enlightened
The AG Russell is a great knife! The thin blade does much more than fruit testing. Remember, it is a slipjoint, so slice not stab.

Alexi*

Newly Enlightened
Thank you, I will oil the Bubinga whit boiled lincedoil and terpentin mix.