SF L4 circuit help please

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok guys, a little while ago my surefire L4 died, and instead of sending it to surefire to be fixed, i decided to sacrifice it to the gods of learning
i opened it up and found that the rattling noise that i used to hear from the head, was the heatsink/head screws coming loose - here is a photos showing where they should be
P4010005-1.jpg

the screw bouncing around the inside of the head managed to break the plastic of the ends of the inductor
P4010003-1.jpg

P4010004.jpg

Im fairly sure the Lux V has died, 2 bars in one of the die's flicker when power is applied, i think the heatsink had backed out of the head a little, breaking the thermal path to the outside world, and cooking the LED

my questions to you all are

1. will this broken bit affect the functioning of the circuit ? - it still seems to work , when i apply 3.7v to the bottom contacts i get 9v out the top
2. can i run a Cree (as described in post #23 of this thread
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...hp?t=162146#23 ) from a 17670 without frying it ? or am i better off finding a new Lux V to put in

Thanks in Advance for the help
E63

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like the circuit is fine. I just pulled my L4 apart and am going to replace the LED with a X bin Lux V. I just like the broad beam in this light. I've got a number of Cree and SSC based lights so keeping this one a Lux V appeals to me.

-LT

THE PUNISHER

Newly Enlightened
COOL PICS,and people wonder why surefire's are high in price..............:whistle:

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible to bump the current up on this circuit? Which resistors may I change & what values?

I have not done analysis of the circuit, but it would likely involve changing the inductor current sense resistors (the paralelled R100s) and the one obscured by the red wire.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if you'd want to bump the current up from what it was stock. It's my understanding that the L4 is already overdriving the led by a fair margin. Maybe if you wanted to drop a cree MCE or sscP7 in there.