Change voltage keep amperage?

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
I have an AC to 6VDC power supply with 500mA output (wall-wart), the project I'm working on requires 5VDC/500mA and was wondering what I can do to safely reduce the voltage without reducing the output current. Resistor on the output leads, or break open the adapter and swap some components to change the output, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Helmut.G

Enlightened
there are electronic components that do exactly what you want to, cut down the voltage to 5 V, but I'm not an expert and thus can't give you exact info
I'm sure someone will know and post here soon

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have an AC to 6VDC power supply with 500mA output (wall-wart), the project I'm working on requires 5VDC/500mA and was wondering what I can do to safely reduce the voltage without reducing the output current. Resistor on the output leads, or break open the adapter and swap some components to change the output, etc?

There are a couple of options:

1) A resistor, this only works at one current. I.e. it is a very unstable option, do not use it.

2) A diode, this will drop 0.6 to 0.7 volts when loaded. This is way better than a resistor, but not perfect.

3) A LDO (Low dropout) regulator, this will keep a stabilized output voltage, probably way better than the original supply, but may be to expensive (Depending on where your can get the LDO regulator).

4) A new adapter with 5 volt output, this is a very cheap solution and does not requires any skill to make it work.

shinbone

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for the replies everyone.

I am upgrading my manual mini-mill to CNC to make some flashlight parts and the breakout board for the drivers/steppers is what is needing the 5VDC. It's designed to utilize a USB power hookup but the laptop I'm using has no USB ports. It's sounding like I should cough up the big bucks and buy the proper supply.

Mr Happy, that's a good point as some designs have enough tolerance to handle slight variations. I'll first call the manufacturer and see what they say.

Thanks!

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened

Use a voltage regulator like LM7805. They been around for 30-40 years, and they have a large family of LM78XXX regulators and they work great for simple projects with a fixed voltage. You don't really need any resistors nor even capacitors (optional) despite that schematics shows caps. If you want a simple variable regulator go to the LM317 which needs two external resistors, but that allows you to set it to any voltage. If one resistor is a potentiometer, you can dial in the output voltage. Again the caps are optional for smoothing out ripples (only needed if your primary supply comes from AC, rectified, and from a transformer).

HKJ

Flashaholic
Use a voltage regulator like LM7805. They been around for 30-40 years, and they have a large family of LM78XXX regulators and they work great for simple projects with a fixed voltage. You don't really need any resistors nor even capacitors (optional) despite that schematics shows caps. If you want a simple variable regulator go to the LM317 which needs two external resistors, but that allows you to set it to any voltage. If one resistor is a potentiometer, you can dial in the output voltage. Again the caps are optional for smoothing out ripples (only needed if your primary supply comes from AC, rectified, and from a transformer).

And they can not be used for dropping 6 volt to 5 volt, they need between 1.5 and 2.5 volts above output voltage before they work.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
And they can not be used for dropping 6 volt to 5 volt, they need between 1.5 and 2.5 volts above output voltage before they work.
Yeah, but I have used them for those cheap transfomers before because most of the time a 6 volt 500 ma wall plug in is ungregulated and is at 7.5 volts open circuit and drops off as the load is added. It all depends, but I've used and designed dozens and possibly hundreds of power supplies. In reality, he probably needs nothing like someone said, and he can use the transformer directly. If he really wants to use five volts, he can make a crude 5v power source wth a large enough rated zener and a resistor in parallel to his load but he will dump current like crazy (it won't matter since he is not trying to conserve a battery). Or he can put diodes in series such as a low voltage schottky (Germanium diodes) 0.22 volts plus a silicon diode 0.77 voltage then he'll get his 1 volt drop provided the diodes are rated for at least his load. However, like I said, I doubt his Wal-mart transformer is regulated and all he will do is drop a volt not regulate voltage. He could build his own regulator using a Zener as reference at the gate of an N channel Mosfet, and those transistor generally have only a 0.8 volt drop between source and drain. Anyhow, there are 100 different ways to do it, but I think the simplest solution is just a LM7805 because I am sure the transformer is not at 6 volts.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Yeah, but I have used them for those cheap transfomers before because most of the time a 6 volt 500 ma wall plug in is ungregulated and is at 7.5 volts open circuit and drops off as the load is added.

And he states his requirement is 500mA i.e. the Wall Mart is at max. load, I would not count on it keeping the voltage up.

I believe his safest bet, is to buy a 5 volt power supply, to not risk the controller.

If he did know about electronic and had a multimeter, he could verify if the Wall Mart could be used, but without the tools and the knowledge, it is a bit risky.

Darkpower

Newly Enlightened
I believe his safest bet, is to buy a 5 volt power supply, to not risk the controller.
Precisely and cheaper too. He should get a Switcher type for 5v. Most are regulated whereas the very inexpensive ones still use a dual winding transformer, a rectifier-bridge, and a cap. Their volatges depend on the load so that a 6 volt @ 500 mA will be much higher at 100 mA.

Al Combs

Enlightened
P7 constant current regulator

Warning thread hijack attempt...
I looked at the spec on some of the LM78xx from National. Just for the heck of it, I did a search on National's site for constant current regulators and ran across LM338 (aka LM138 in a much larger package).
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM338.html

I have been waiting, with many other, for a proper regulator for the P7 LED that draws 2.8 amps. Not only does this single component seem to fit the bill for less than a buck, it allows the introduction of a dimmer if so desired. Did I miss something or will this work?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Re: P7 constant current regulator

Warning thread hijack attempt...
I looked at the spec on some of the LM78xx from National. Just for the heck of it, I did a search on National's site for constant current regulators and ran across LM338 (aka LM138 in a much larger package).
http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM338.html

I have been waiting, with many other, for a proper regulator for the P7 LED that draws 2.8 amps. Not only does this single component seem to fit the bill for less than a buck, it allows the introduction of a dimmer if so desired. Did I miss something or will this work?

Your missed the big batteries and heat sink that your need.
Check the "Dropout voltage" curve, your have to loose about 2.2 volt over the regulator. For a constant current regulation, your will also loose 1.2 volt over the resistor. Total is 3.4 volt.
I.e. your have just cut the efficiency in half.

Al Combs

Enlightened

Your missed the big batteries and heat sink that your need.
Check the "Dropout voltage" curve, your have to loose about 2.2 volt over the regulator. For a constant current regulation, your will also loose 1.2 volt over the resistor. Total is 3.4 volt.
I.e. your have just cut the efficiency in half.

Thanks for the answer.:sigh:

I figured it was too good to be true. Not knowing much about electronics, I had to ask.

shinbone

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the replies. I contacted the breakout board manufacturer and they assured me the 6VDC supply wouldn't hurt anything. So that is a go and I can finally start wiring things up.

Dave W, thanks for the link. I will keep them in mind when I seek out additional components for this project.