Spy 007 in Aluminum?

ibcj

Enlightened
A titanium light is an exotic toy. Many of you have asked if there will be an aluminum 007. One of my goals is to produce more lights in aluminum. I make the titanium 007. Almost every part comes from my machine shop. I am attempting to master titanium and it is not clear to me if I will make the future aluminum SPY body parts or have my partner (Keith) do the future aluminum parts (I will probably do the turned parts as they are easy on my lathe). When depends on my partner's shop schedule.

This is from the "Introducing the Spy007" thread, second post. It was in December, so I have no idea if things have changed. I think only Dave can answer that one.

Goatee - keep saving and go for the ti, it's worth it.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look in the four thousand post Spy 007 thread, the answer is in there! :devil:

You should look before asking these questions. :laughing:

:p

I thought for 30 seconds about looking for it and then I figured that I would take the abuse in hopes that the anwers would come after it:nana:

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is from the "Introducing the Spy007" thread, second post. It was in December, so I have no idea if things have changed. I think only Dave can answer that one.

Goatee - keep saving and go for the ti, it's worth it.

Chris,

Thank you for the info! I may not be able to help myself if he makes more titanium ones but it will cause trouble with my wife:whistle:

I am interested in an aluminum HA version because of the weight savings and um... the cost savings.

paulr

Flashaholic
But there is already a very nice aluminum light in this family, the 005. I think the 007's bare metal styling is better suited for titanium than aluminum. Natural HA would look pretty uninviting. Hmm, maybe in black HA...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul,

Your endorsement keeps on playing in the back of my mind, and more and more, I have began to like the styling of the 005... still, I prefer the 007's styling the most.

paulr

Flashaholic
Paul,

Your endorsement keeps on playing in the back of my mind, and more and more, I have began to like the styling of the 005... still, I prefer the 007's styling the most.

I think it's best to get the one you really want, which in this case means the 007. If the financial consequence is that you skip a few other lights for a while, it will just make you appreciate the 007 more.

Edwood

Enlightened
I love my 007. But it is quite heavy, and to tell the truth, the Ti is not much but bling. Now that said, I love love love the Ti bling. If a diamond is a girl's best friend, Titanium is probably the closest thing to man's best friend (not counting canines).
Only reason I'd want to have an aluminum SPY is for performance reasons.
Lighter weight and better heat dissipation. I'd love to have an aluminum SPY 009 with a more powerful emitter, say, a Seoul P7, or whatever is better down the line in the future.

The industrial designer in me already sees the styling possibilities... ;)

-Ed

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
and to tell the truth, the Ti is not much but bling.

In this case, "truth" is in the eye of the beholder! :nana: The advantages that a Ti light has are many - discussion of which would probably take this thread would too far :duck: OT, not to mention revisit an often-discussed topic here on CPF. :shrug:

All that said, there are advantages and disadvantages to Al and Ti lights; and the "truth", if there is one, comes down to the user whose hand that light is in! :D

:wave: john

Last edited:

TIP AND RING

Enlightened
Another vote here for a aluminum run, I own a 005 and love it. I am in the minority in that Ti holds no fascination for me. Don't let that killer design reside in Ti only, how about Damascus????

:paypal::wave:

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Data,

Do you have any plans to do some of your 007's in aluminum HAIII?

Goatee, I don't know if there will ever be an aluminum 007, at this point I have no plans to to do it. I think titanium fits the image of the 007 best.

The next aluminum SPY is coalescing in my head but it is not yet, in any way, in my schedule. I am focused on making 007's right now and not much else. However, having said that, I appreciate all your input and I do hear you about wanting another aluminum SPY.

Cheers
Dave

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote here for a aluminum run, I own a 005 and love it. I am in the minority in that Ti holds no fascination for me. Don't let that killer design reside in Ti only, how about Damascus????

:paypal::wave:

I got quoted $450 for a piece of stainless spirograph Damascus (enough metal to make one single SPY). I said yes but the guy never got back to me. :shrug:

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
The next aluminum SPY is coalescing in my head but it is not yet, in any way, in my schedule. I am focused on making 007's right now and not much else.

Things seem to work out pretty good in that mind of yours! The 007 is a beauty. I will keep my eyes open for your next run and what is coming next.

:thumbsup:

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things seem to work out pretty good in that mind of yours! The 007 is a beauty. I will keep my eyes open for your next run and what is coming next.

:thumbsup:

Goat,

It is clear you appreciate fine lights and are more than willing to trade your gal for one [insert link here]! Check the back of the couch/sofa and I'm sure you find enough to cover the 007 plus change:poke:.

(Goat sold me my first TiPD-S and is one of the main reasons I've laughed so hard and stayed here!)

I love you man but don't distract the Dave from 'da bizness:mad:!

Aluminium smillium:scowl::p.

Hoodlum

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am focused on making 007's right now and not much else.

And I'm focused on trying to catch the next wave. Though if someone finds their Spy 7 weighing too heavily in their pocket, I'd be willing to help them lighten their load. :D
paypal-loaded.jpg