UPDATE in 1st Post - HELP - Problem with AW Protected 18500's & Surefire MN11 bulb

txgp17

Enlightened
UPDATE in 1st Post - HELP - Problem with AW Protected 18500's & Surefire MN11 bulb

Hi guys,
I have a Leef 2x18500 body, a M-series head adapter, and four AW 18500 Protected Cells.

I've found that one of the 18500's will not work with the MN11 bulb. I have tried placing it in the rear with each of the other 3 on front, and no light. I put it in front with each of the other 3 in the rear, and no light.

However, the other 3 cells work no matter where you put them in the light. Also, all 4 properly power a Malkoff M60 with no problems. And I've tried powering it with four different AW 17500 Protected cells, and it's a no go.

Sounds like the amperage protection is kicking in, but why would only one 18500 cell do this with the MN11 and no others? And why will no 17500's work at all?

The MN11 bulb works fine with primary 123A's, in both the factory M3 body, and the Leef body.
-----------------UPDATE----------------
I put the bad cell back in the charger. It turned green in 5 seconds.

I put it back in behind a Malkoff M60. Turned it on and walked away. Came back a few minutes later and found it was off. I turned it off for a minute, then back on. It went dead after about 30 seconds of light.

Take the light back out, and put back in charger, it turns green in less than a minute. Looks like I'm returning the cell.

Last edited:

Aussie Cheese

Newly Enlightened
Re: HELP - Problem with AW Protected 18500's & Surefire MN11 bulb

if the aw cell is new, you should contact aw for a replacement, sounds like a trigger happy pcb.

nzgunnie

Enlightened

Have you tried putting the unserviceable cell back in the charger and charging it? It's possible this will help, I seem to remember reading somewhere about this resetting the protection circuit, might be wrong though.

As for the 17500s, they wont work because the MN11 is drawing 2.5amps, which is too too high for these smaller cells. None of my 17500s power my MN16 (same basic bulb).

txgp17

Enlightened

update in 1st post

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast

It would be very useful to get a digital multimeter when you have Li-Ons. Its the safest and most reliable way to ensure the reliable and safe operation of the Li-Ons cells.

With a DM, you can check voltages to ensure that your cells are always at its optimum charged state. If after checking the voltages of the cells, and the lamp still doesn't light, then it would be an open circuit issue where one or more of the springs are not making contact with the flashlight body.

*EDIT: After reading your update, I can confirm your cell is dead. The exact same thing happened to one of my el cheapo Ultrafire RCR123.

Email or PM AW to see if Andrew will send you a new one without the need of returning the defective one.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

This thread is about a faulty cell, not the light it is being used in, so I'm moving it to the 'Batteries' section.

txgp17

Enlightened

Email or PM AW to see if Andrew will send you a new one without the need of returning the defective one.
How can I contact him? I don't know his screen name.
Thanx again for the advice.

DM51

Flashaholic

LOL, his screen name is - wait for it - AW. That link is to his sales thread in the MarketPlace, which gives his e-mail address - or you can PM him.

c0t0d0s0

Enlightened
Re: UPDATE in 1st Post - HELP - Problem with AW Protected 18500's & Surefire MN11 bul

Funny. I seem to have worst of luck with AW 18500 cells: Out of 6 I bought, 2 developed electrolyte leaks, 1 has a "trigger happy" protection PCB, and another one refuses to charge.

I have a buch of AW cells in other sizes, and they all work fine.

Go figure.