• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Titanium Backup - SOLD OUT (For Now)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanJ

Newly Enlightened
The Story
I don't smoke, but I have always carried a lighter. I want whatever I EDC to be the best. Bic lighters are reliable, but disposable. Zippo lighters are cool, but the fuel dries up. Butane lighters are flashy, but they are bulky. Key chain capsule lighters are small and reliable, but poorly made. To me the answer seemed obvious: a 6AL4V titanium casing to hold a key chain lighter. So, after consulting with my favorite CNC guy (and yours) I drew up some plans and headed over to the best CNC shop in town. I talked to the machinist for almost 2 hours. We went over my drawings, looked at other 'spy capsules' and a variety of key chain tools. Finally, he looked at me and agreed to move forward. It took several weeks, several phone calls, and several e-mails. But, last week I took delivery of small bag of titanium goodness.

The Titanium Backup

Smooth: I designed the Titanium Backup to be smooth so that it won't scratch anything else. It won't scratch your cell phone, your favorite leather wallet, or your skin (if hanging around your neck).

Concealed: Sun Tzu (Art of War) tells us not let our enemies know our true strengths and weaknesses. The Titanium Backup is designed so that when others look at it they will not know what it is, and will not be interested in finding out. Even the key chain/lanyard hole is designed to not attract attention.

Tough and Light: The beauty of titanium is that it is both strong and lightweight. I don't think that it would be damaged if it were run over by a car. But, it is still lightweight enough to wear comfortably as a pendant.

Versatile: The Titanium Backup can also be used as a backup survival kit (pendant) to hold a couple of bills (I hate being surprised that I don't have enough cash). Also, it can act as a pocket pill case.

Gaskets: The gaskets that usually come on these key chain lighters are thin and small. Because they are not designed to withstand heat (as in fire from a lighter), they quickly fail. The Titanium Backup is designed to be gasket free. The two titanium parts tighten together and form a great seal. Without a gasket I don't know what the waterproof rating (how many atmospheres) would be. I do know that I put some tissue in one, tightened it down, and left it in a glass of water for the night. In the morning, the tissue was 99.9% dry. However, if you want 100% protection, there is room at the base of the threads to add a gasket (your local hardware store has a selection).

Specifications
Material: 6AL-4V Titanium
Finish: Raw, some scuff marks from being in one bag together, satin/almost satin
Exterior Dimensions: 2.19" x 0.56"
Internal Diameter: 0.44"
Lanyard Hole: 0.33" x 0.28" (at widest)
Weight: 0.5 ounce (empty) 0.8 ounce (with lighter and fuel)

Price and Supply
I approached this project as a group buy of sorts. I wanted a titanium casing for my lighter, and the only way to afford it was to purchase 50. I have 10 left. If the remaining pieces sell out, and there is still interest, I will arrange to get more. If it takes more then a couple months to sell them, I will enjoy my new lighter and be done.

Price: $old
US Shipping: $old

International Sipping: $old (USPS Registered to your postal service, you assume the risk after that)
Paypal address: [email protected]
[Please include your CPF Handle in the notes of your PayPal transfer]

Extras
I thought it would be great to use the Titanium Backup as a small survival kit. So, I tracked down some 0.38" compasses (Sun Company #889B) and some 1.0" x 0.25" flint rod (ferrocerium). I love having one of the capsules with a compass, a flint, several feet of bird scare tape, and a $100 bill on my key chain. I will include a compass, and a flint with each unit. You can buy your own scare tape from the local nursery. Also, I will include a pack of flints and the spy capsule from the original lighter (on some of these the gasket is already shot/missing/worthless).

titaniumbackupmv9.jpg

titaniumbackuplighterzg2.jpg

packageci2.jpg

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Titanium Backup

Maybe I'm a bit slow on the draw here (some think so who are not here!) but,is this the Ti tube, lighter, compass....what....?

karl

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe everything you see in the last picture is what you get
Maybe I'm a bit slow on the draw here (some think so who are not here!) but,is this the Ti tube, lighter, compass....what....?

karl

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very cool.

Any plans for fully dunkable version that goes to 20 feet? Any plans for a larger model?

DeanJ

Newly Enlightened

Maybe I'm a bit slow on the draw here (some think so who are not here!) but,is this the Ti tube, lighter, compass....what....?l

Sorry, I wanted to include extra parts/options, not confuse folks.

I wanted a ti casing for my lighter. But, I was not sure anyone else would. So, you can think of it as a ti keychain lighter. But, if you prefer just, give the DX lighter away, and use the Ti Spy Capsule for whatever you want. I will send you a compass small enough to fit into it, and a chunk of flint.

The original stock was Ti round bar that was milled down to create the final piece.

Does that help?

Last edited:

DeanJ

Newly Enlightened

Very cool.

Any plans for fully dunkable version that goes to 20 feet? Any plans for a larger model?

No plans for a larger model. The seal without a gasket is surpisingly nice. I am confident it would handle anything in everyday life (including being thrown into a pool as a prank). If you added an o-ring I think it would be just fine at 20 feet.

I don't scuba, so I don't really know how I could test it that deep.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in the process of talking myslef into one of these.
Now, just curiosu....why the bird scare tape?

DeanJ

Newly Enlightened

I'm in the process of talking myslef into one of these.
Now, just curiosu....why the bird scare tape?

I was in the Army, I was an LEO, I have friends that like to prepare for the EOTWAWKI.

However, the real survival situations I have seen are simply lost hikers. If I am ever lost/stranded somewhere, I know my loved ones will have helicopters up looking for me. So, I have always packed the shiny silver mylar tape so that I will have something to hang in the trees. It is designed to scare away birds. But, I have always thought it would be a great way to summon help. (and it has effectively no weight or bulk)

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Looks very slick!

So, just to clarify: it takes the lighter insert from the DX lighter?

Hodsta

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll take 2 - Paypal incoming:thumbsup:

Do I need to include shipping for both or just for one?

EDIT: :paypal: Cheers

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Don't know if I am too late but :paypal:.

Thanks either way.

Cowley

Newly Enlightened

Slick! I'll take two if available.

Thanks, will send PP on confirmation on availability>

Cowley

kiely23+

Enlightened

I'll take one... if available.

Thanks, will send PP on confirmation on availability!
:whistle:

Chief-Yeah

Newly Enlightened

I own two of these and the fit and finish on them is superb to say the least.I've been wanting a Ti version of these for forever and Dean really hit the nail on the head with this project :thumbsup:.

Status
Not open for further replies.