• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Not a Flashlight! It's a Thinker's Toy

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes it's just fun to do something other than flashlights, so I agreed to make what I call the Thinker's Toy, sort of like a worry stone, but designed more for the guy deep into creative thinking, who needs something to occupy his hands, other than a cigarette. :devil:

Here's the mostly completed machined part, but before a hemisphere gets completed:

SmBlocksBigDimples.jpg

Basically, the customer wanted four different patterns around the Toy, a smooth top, and something in the bottom also.

Here's what he's getting:

BgDimplesSmBlksVert.jpg

SmDimplesLgDimplesVert.jpg

SmBlksMondrianVertPolished.jpg

I call that the Mondrian sector. :D

BigDimplesHorz.jpg

TailEnd.jpg

ShinyTop.jpg

BTW, those are not completely finished--the Toy still could be sanded and then really polished, but I just wanted to get something off to the customer, so he'd stop bugging me about it. (Just kidding.)
OK, now back to the regularly scheduled program. :crackup:

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
but I just wanted to get something off to the customer, so he'd stop bugging me about it. (Just kidding.)

:nana:

i didnt bug you THAT much did i? :whistle: hehe.

i wanted something to hold and play with while deep in thought, working or otherwise. PF's designs (especially after owning a Luce de Notte) immediately made me contact him for this. after some rough initial reqs, i let PF have at it, and this is the stunning result. cant wait to get it!

:party:

foxracer72

Newly Enlightened
wow that a beauty, really makes you think , it makes me think can i get one:thinking:

gunga

Flashaholic
Wow, that is too cool.

Good idea on the rear ballast, like those pens that rest on rounded/weighted bottoms.
Very, very cool...

:twothumbs

Err, how do you turn it on?

:confused:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Cool, Fred! :thumbsup: I love the 3rd and 4th photographs - awesome lighting (except for the goof in the reflection :nana: - Photoshop him out!)

What are the dimensions?

Nice idea Hooplehead! :wave:

john

russtang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure the customer was a "HE"? :sssh: :shakehead :)

Looks awesome. what are the inside details?

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheesh, just when you think you can go do something else, the :poke:Thinker returns asking for it to be sanded and polished. Another day of slave labor! :devil:

Next thing, he'll probably want it bored and converted to a Luce de Notte. :( :shakehead

Enough already--he's getting this:

Polished3.jpg

Polished4.jpg

Polished8.jpg

Polished9.jpg

Polished10.jpg

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see by that second photo we have finally caused Fred to lose his marbles! :nana::crazy::crackup:
Sheesh, just when you think you can go do something else, the :poke:Thinker returns asking for it to be sanded and polished. Another day of slave labor! :devil:

Next thing, he'll probably want it bored and converted to a Luce de Notte. :( :shakehead

Enough already--he's getting this:

Polished3.jpg

Polished4.jpg

Polished8.jpg

Polished9.jpg

Polished10.jpg

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Um, is that a "women's" toy?:thinking: :sssh:

"Beamshots" please! :green: :whistle:

Last edited:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dig the Mondrian look, Fred. :thumbsup: He was a fascinating character.

I like that look, too. In fact, I think it would make a nice flashlight design. Got some favorite Mondrian's that might look good? I'm thinking Ti with differently colored anodized blocks might be worth looking into.

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Got some favorite Mondrian's that might look good? I'm thinking Ti with differently colored anodized blocks might be worth looking into.

Flashback to college! :eek: I think I even wrote a paper on Mondrian.

Here's a few that I like (I made 'em all the same size):

yellowpatchna4.jpg

mondrianqg7.jpg

mondriancompositioniiinjv9.jpg

I didn't like his really late stuff - "Broadyway Boogie Woogie" (his most famous painting, apparently) was way too busy for my tastes. He did some paintings of trees and people that were breathtaking - he had MAD skills as a classical painter, which makes it all the more impressive that he went off in the total opposite direction! Modern art in general is

A Mondrian flashlight... :rock: :popcorn:

john