Spyder co Atlantic Salt

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm thinking about buying one of these to use a a foldable pairing knife. I eat a lot of fruit on the go to keep awake. But I prefer it cut, At home I have a few pairing knives that work very well. I'd like to have something to bring with me. From pictures the plain edge Atlantic salt looks very close to some of the better knives I keep at home. Does anyone own one of these, how well/straight goes it cut say an apple.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Salt1 is a bit smaller with sheepsfoot blade. Good shape grip and slim (easy pocket carry) with the clip removed. Gets super sharp and holds edge well. Great utility knife.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not a wedge blade is it? I have a ckrt m16-14 with a wedge blade. It cuts in a sort of arc.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Salt 1 does NOT have a sheepsfoot blade. I happen to own one.I prefer the blade shape of The Salt 1 & pacific Salt myself. The Salt 1 IS an excellnt, excellent knife!Here is the link to the Salt 1.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=40

The Atlantic Salt DOES have a Sheepsfoot blade:
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=172
length overall 8 1/4" (210mm) blade length 3 11/16" (94 mm) blade steel H-1
length closed 4 5/8" (117 mm) cutting edge 3 3/16" (81 mm) weight 2.75 oz (77 g)
hole diameter 9/16" (14 mm) blade thickness 1/8" (3 mm) handle material FRN
And then there is the bigger Salt Saver:
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=264
length overall 7 3/16" (182mm) blade length 3 3/32" (79mm) blade steel H-1
length closed 4 3/32" (104mm) cutting edge 2 5/8" (67mm) weight 2.2oz (61g)
hole diameter 9/16" (14mm) blade thickness 1/8" (3mm) handle material FRN

I hope this helps!

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just want a fruit knife, there's really no need for a salt series knife, VG10 holds edge better and won't rust with just fruits. Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy them, of course.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just want a fruit knife, there's really no need for a salt series knife, VG10 holds edge better and won't rust with just fruits. Unless you are looking for an excuse to buy them, of course.

You caught me.:devil: A little bit of both. one thing is that I do not want to oil the blade to keep it from rusting, probably will taste funny. I have been looking at the boker wharcom as will just because of it's footprint but I'd need to figure out if 1 and 3/4 will be enough blade.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy a Salt or WharCom because you want one. If you really want a pareing knife, just buy what fits you at a kitchen store.

I think the WharCom would be pretty clumsy as a pareing knife. For small kitchen knives, we've used Chicago Cutlery carbon steel for years. Just rinse and dry when you're finished. Hit them on the steel every now and then and do a good sharpening every couple of months.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have plenty at home. I was the neighborhood produce guy for five years. None of those knives have sheaths I'd consider safe for edc. I'd prefer a folder because it's one less part to remember not to loose.

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer the blade shape of The Salt 1 & pacific Salt myself.

I've got the older Endura with no screws or liners. It looks like the Pacific Salt is that old Endura style without the "extra pointy" point. I saw the newest steel liner/screw model Endura the other day and although it's nice, I prefer my 3 oz older design for carry. Might pick up a Pacific Salt before they go screwy too. ;)

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=128

Last edited:

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, ever cut fruit with the endura? Does it cut straight or does it pull to one side or another. Thanks for the sheath as well. But it's been my experience with sharp knives and leather sheaths that kneeling down often results in a knife in the thigh.:ohgeez:

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it cut straight or does it pull to one side or another.

Couldn't tell you. I think we approach the matter on different levels ;) I'm pretty sloppy when it comes to wolfing down fruit. I've got the plain edge too. For thin slicing you'd probably prefer a flat grind blade shape rather than the Endura's saber grind.

I prefer a folder for edc too.

Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Either of them will cut as straight as you can guide them. You can't go wrong with either. I just prefer the Salts because of the super-stainless and availability of yellow handles.

Don't overlook the mini-Griptillians. Great knives, about the size of the Salt1 and feel wonderful in the hand. Cost a little more but probably worth it. And you can get yellow.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you brothers (and sistahs <- This is how we talk in the RI; it's extremely L33t) I'm not planing on getting too artsy with it, so the sabre sounds good. I haven't heard much about the griptillian, I'll have to look into it. (I think the Mac tool guy's got a few benchmades on his truck when he swings by on fridays, maybe I can demo one...)
I'm not so big on bright colors. But I am a huge fan of low maintenance.:twothumbs

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked it out. The mini grip is very nice, a definite contender, maybe even the champ. Plus blade comes in under 3in. Still I probably will just get it with the black handle though. Thanks Bigiron:thumbsup:

spoonrobot

Enlightened
The two Salt1 PE's that I own have what I call a sheepfoot blade.

The Salt 1 could be called a "modified sheepsfoot" but that is reaching as it is. It's actually more like a spear point than a sheepsfoot or wharncliffe blade because of the belly.

The Saver Salt is a smaller version of the Atlantic Salt with the sheepsfoot blade.

To the OP; the Atlantic Salt is a very poor performer on fruit. It has a thick blade with a relatively shallow hollow grind that binds in the flesh when cutting most fruits. I would recommend the Salt 1 or the Saver Salt due to the thinner blade that would reduce binding and cut better.