Peter Atwood AirFrame Folders

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
atwood_airframe_01.jpg

Homie is pretty stoked today.

atwood_airframe_02.jpg

atwood_airframe_03.jpg

Yesterday I was the recipient of a pair of truly unique treasures. These are Peter Atwood AirFrame folders. Even by Atwood folder standards, these are a bit out of the ordinary. They are two of the earliest folders he made. Peter told me that he made either 3 or 4 of them including these two, but he isn't sure whether it was 3 or 4 total. The blue anodized one is the first flat ground knife he ever made. He described it as "a little wavy" but I describe it as AWESOME!!!!

atwood_airframe_04.jpg

This is the same design as the knife in the Peter Atwood Knifemaking Video. I have never seen that video and my desire for a copy of it has increased dramatically as I'm sure you can understand, so if you have a copy or know of one, please PM. I am also interested in the other AirFrames that are out there, just for curiosity as to where they are (or IT is!!) if for no other reason, so if you happen to know where one is, I would LOVE to talk to you.

atwood_airframe_05.jpg

Everything is handmade on these knives. The edges, grinds and AirFrame cuts are all done by hand.

atwood_airframe_06.jpg

Specs:

AirFrame #1:
Bead Blasted Ti Framelock
Bead Blasted S30V Modified Wharncliffe Blade w/ False Edge and V-Ground Hollow Grind
Dual Thumbstuds
Blade length: 3-3/16"
Sharp Length: 3-1/8"
Closed Length: 4-5/8"
Overall Length: 7-13/16"

AirFrame #2:
Satin Blue Anodized Ti Framelock
Satin S30V Modified Wharncliffe w/ Flat Grind
Dual Thumbstuds
Blade length: 3-5/16"
Sharp Length: 3-5/16"
Closed Length: 4-11/16"
Overall Length: 8-1/16"

atwood_airframe_07.jpg

Lockup on both is rock solid.

atwood_airframe_08.jpg

atwood_airframe_09.jpg

Here is another piece of historic souptree/Atwood trivia for you. The HV TiBaby I used for scale was my first custom Atwood, along with the purple HV Keyton and a green HV Keyton. If I knew then what I know now, I'd have ordered 30 instead of 3 and it wouldn't be so I could sell them!! In any event, this is still my favorite out of all of my PryBabies.

Yes, even more than this one: :p

atwood_perforated_prybaby_homie.jpg

atwood_airframe_10.jpg

As you can see, Homie is upside down with joy. Frankly, so am I.

atwood_airframe_11.jpg

atwood_airframe_13.jpg

There is no air in space, which is why there is no better knife for space travel than an Atwood AirFrame!! :thumbsup:

atwood_airframe_12.jpg

Homie and I thank you for taking the time to look at my pictures, and I hope you enjoy seeing these knives about a millionth as much as I enjoy owning them. I know there are a lot of pictures here, but if anyone would like additional photos of anything in particular, or any other info about the knives, just let me know. I have a feeling I am not going to be getting sick of looking at or talking about them anytime soon, so you will NOT be bugging me, rest assured. I still can't believe they are mine.

In any event, I am so honored to be the caretaker of these extremely special pieces and I am very happy to be able to share them with you. In case you are wondering, yes I will carry and use them from time to time. And if you are considering offering a trade, I am currently seeking an ocean view in Carmel. Thanks!!

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Duuuude...I can imagine your level of stoke right now. One wonders how much of your soul is left intact, because I'm not sure what else you could have sold/traded to get both of those.

Congrats! I miss my Xm!

paulr

Flashaholic
Those are awesome, especially the flat ground one. I've never understood why flat ground folders are so uncommon.

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dare I aks how much? And if they are still available for sale or was this a discontinued item?

Hi cutlerylover, these are extremely rare, very early handmade folders. There are only 3 or 4 total that exist and there will never be any more. It's very unfortunate too, as more people should be able to check out how nice these knives are.

Duuuude...I can imagine your level of stoke right now. One wonders how much of your soul is left intact, because I'm not sure what else you could have sold/traded to get both of those.

Congrats! I miss my Xm!

Yup, I am pretty much walking on Air. :D

Dude, my soul is INTACT!! It's funny how the soul you can manage to keep is worth so much more than the soul you can manage to sell. :devil:

Wait until you handle one of these in person. I just have no way to convey through my pictures how these feel in hand. Aside from the rarity and all, they are really killer knives!! It is a terrible shame that Peter isn't doing folders anymore, because these are fantastic knives. I hope one day he decides to do a few more, if only for fun if for no other reason. At that point, I may have to start looking at bid prices on souls. :laughing:

Your XM is still safe and sound. :twothumbs You are welcome to come visit it! :cool: I still need to do some pics of that one. That IS the most amazing knife mechanism I have experienced. That haul is another one I still haven't really been able to get my head around having actually snagged. Too much, too fast! The brain can't keep up! :faint:

Those are awesome, especially the flat ground one. I've never understood why flat ground folders are so uncommon.

paulr, I also love flat grinds!! That Pentax Soli is right here on my desk. :)

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those are like the score of the Century!! :twothumbs:twothumbs Huge CONGRATS my friend!! And thanks for sharing your excellent pix too.

cutlerylover

Banned
Ahh, thought so, I fiured it wasn'tr cheap when I saw his other folder on ebay sell for like $800 +...Anyway nice catch my friend!!!! Very nice catch...