AAA keychain light for fathers day

underconstruction

Newly Enlightened
I finally decided to get my dad a keychain AAA light for father's day. It will be a late gift. So what do you guys recommend?

He wants it to be bright. Runtime is not an issue as he plans on only using it for short bursts. It also has to be low maintenance and dependable.

I was looking at the DX r2 keychain light, but I have read reviews that say it flikers and that the KD v4 buckle is much brighter with the same runtime.

The KD v4 also looks interesting, but it seems like it might be too big for a keychain.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
Well Bessiebenny really likes the buckle and if runtime isnt an issue its not a badchoice. Whats your budget? You can't go wrong with the fenix lod although maybe thats a little too pricey.

warriorz

Newly Enlightened
well it all depends on what you define "big".

i had a KD v4 buckle on my keys for probably 2-3 weeks and i loved it, it is bright and very solid, but the runtime was low.

i received my Fenix E01 a few days ago, and it has taken over the KD buckle on my keys. allthough their is a massive difference in output, l like my Fenix much more.

Before i recieved my fenix, i thought the KD buckle was pretty small, but now its pretty big and chubby compared to the E01.

you where looking for a bright AAA light so the KD buckle meets your requirements, it all just depends on how big your big is:confused:

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
You can't go wrong by ordering an Arc (DS or GS) or a Peak Matterhorn.

Personally, I'd lean toward the Peak Matterhorn 3-LED version, in the Ultra-Power output since brightness (over run-time) is the criteria. They're available in stainless steel, HA aluminum, or brass ($35-45). If that's too rich, drop down to the same light in their 1-LED version (also in U-Power) and save $5-10. Still darn bright.

If you phone Peak, ask 'em if they still have any "lug" style Matterhorn bodies available. The lugs are slightly shorter than the std. key-chain version and they might be a bit more pocket-able. Either body style also works well on a neck lanyard (I prefer a beaded chain under a shirt) and the various Peaks (or an Arc) are carried that way by many CPFers for an "instantly available" but low-profile light.

Some find the brass or steel a tad heavy for key-chain/pocket duty, but they "wear" better (keys/coins abrasion-resistant) than any HA aluminum light. They're heirloom-quality construction and look super classy.

HeadCSO

Enlightened
If you want bright, Fenix's L0D Q4. Available from Fenixstore.

paulr

Flashaholic
"Bright" and "low maintenance" don't go together. The Peak 3-led Matterhorn is a nice light but isn't all that bright by flashaholic standards. The L0D Q4 is a heck of a lot brighter, but it's high maintenance in the sense that you MUST run it on lithium or nimh rechargeable batteries; alkalines will work in a pinch but except on the low brightness setting, performance and runtime will simply suck.

The Kai buckle light is a bargain alternative to the L0D but of worse quality. This is for your dad, get the best.

bobski

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking replacements for my dad's aging Mag Solitaire... The Arc lights are nice, but pricey. Is the LOD's twistie switch a loosen-on design like the Solitaire, or a tighten-on design? The Fenix-store description could be interpreted either way - clockwise and counter-clockwise looking at it from the bulb end (who looks into the bulb when turning a light on?) or looking at it from the grip end? If its a tighten-on light, I'm a little worried about the light coming apart in his pocket.

matt0

Enlightened
L0D is a "tighten on"

Along with many others, I have one on my keychain and haven't had any problems with it falling apart..

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking replacements for my dad's aging Mag Solitaire... The Arc lights are nice, but pricey. Is the LOD's twistie switch a loosen-on design like the Solitaire, or a tighten-on design? The Fenix-store description could be interpreted either way - clockwise and counter-clockwise looking at it from the bulb end (who looks into the bulb when turning a light on?) or looking at it from the grip end? If its a tighten-on light, I'm a little worried about the light coming apart in his pocket.

I havn't had any problems with my LOD coming apart and of course it is susbstantially brighter than the Solitare.The multiple modes of the LOD are kind of a nuisance sometimes especially with the twist switch.For a single stage bright light the Tiablo A1 works well (there is a low/high version but I don't have that one).As said before these lights really require lithiums or nimh rechargables to work well.For standard alkalines an ARC or something similar would probably be better.BTW the Tiablo A1 is also "tighten on"and again I've had no problems with it coming apart.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LOD from Fenix Store. Here's a couple of reasons why.

1. Fast, free shipping.
2. Excellent warranty service.
3. The light is very bright for its size.
4. Has a low, medium, and high.
5. CPF8 code for 8% off.

w143

Newly Enlightened
well it all depends on what you define "big".

i had a KD v4 buckle on my keys for probably 2-3 weeks and i loved it, it is bright and very solid, but the runtime was low.

i received my Fenix E01 a few days ago, and it has taken over the KD buckle on my keys. allthough their is a massive difference in output, l like my Fenix much more.

Before i recieved my fenix, i thought the KD buckle was pretty small, but now its pretty big and chubby compared to the E01.

you where looking for a bright AAA light so the KD buckle meets your requirements, it all just depends on how big your big is:confused:
Can you take a picture of the KD V4 buckle and the Fenix E01 next to each other? I have E01 and curious to find out how 'fat' is the KD V4 buckle. Thanks!

BlueBirdTS

Newly Enlightened
Can you take a picture of the KD V4 buckle and the Fenix E01 next to each other? I have E01 and curious to find out how 'fat' is the KD V4 buckle. Thanks!
This is straight from bessiebenny's thread:
img6424qv6.jpg

I myself got an E01 for my dad and he really likes it (although admittedly, his standards aren't high). The KD buckle might be a better option for you since you want a bright light, which the E01 definitely is not. However, 11 hour runtime from a $15 AAA is hard to beat.

Last edited:

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
I have a normal alkaline in my lod, still seems pretty damn bright to me, but I guess I should get around to buying some rechargeables and a charger.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I have a normal alkaline in my lod, still seems pretty damn bright to me, but I guess I should get around to buying some rechargeables and a charger.
I keep my E01 on key ring. Had it about a month and really have not had the need to use it much. Got an e2 in it now but have some Eneloops not being used. Would they be a better option for me with sporadic use?

john46268

Newly Enlightened
I'll be tenth to say yes on the L0D CE-Q4. Just cant be beat. I EDC mine and love it. It's everything I need it to be... and more. (ugh). :candle:
It's like having three flashlights with you at all times and being able to choose the correct one based on need. As a bonus, if you're attacked by a roomful of epileptics...

Features
• Cree 7090 XR-E LED
• Five output modes: 30 Lumens(3.5hrs) -> 11 Lumens(8.5hrs) ->75 Lumens(1hrs) ->Strobe -> SOS
Four days of survival use (two continuous hours per day on the lowest setting)
• Uses one 1.5V AAA battery (not included), inexpensive and widely available
• 7.35cm (L) x 1.4cm (D) (or 2.9 in (L) x 0.6 in (D))
• 14.5-gram (or 0.5 oz) weight (excluding batteries)
• Made of aircraft-grade aluminum
• Durable Type III hard-anodized finish
• Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with AR coating
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standards
• Capable of standing up securely on a flat surface to serve as a candle
• Input voltage: 0.8V~3.3V
• Reliable twist-switch
• Includes a spare o-ring, a split ring, and a pocket clip

Last edited:

Latest posts