Cooled vs uncooled runtime charts - a test

Citivolus

Enlightened
Something that has been nagging at me for a while is runtime charts. Some reviewers do them with a fan, and some without. This can have a very dramatic impact on the graphs and even the run times, as some drivers use thermal regulation to keep the head temperature down. This regulation can reduce their current draw, increasing their overall run time on a charge while at the same time decreasing net light output.

Justification that I have seen given by some for not cooling during testing include speculation that the human body is not a good heat sink, while others say that it is. I figured I would try to find out for myself, to see if I should really be testing with a cooling fan running. I tried to set this up in a way so as to not influence the results.

I took a Dereelight CL1H, my favourite test subject of late due to the developing mythology around it, and attached a thermocouple to the bezel. The thermocouple was attached on the outside where the pill makes contact, and held in place using a thick elastic band which also prevented the thermocouple from directly reading air temperature. The thermocouple was located about 1cm up from where my index finger contacts the barrel in a hammer grip.

Meter accuracy was about 0.3C. Ambient temperature in the room was 22.8C. My hand temperature at the start of the test was 33.1C. I had a small fan handy for the second stage of the test, with an uncalibrated air flow of between 2 and 3 metres per second.

To try to reproduce real world results, I carried the CL1H around in my pocket for about 20 minutes before connecting for testing. This raised its temperature to 26.7C, which I set as my starting temperature.

After connecting the thermocouple as described above, I gripped the CL1H in a hammer grip making certain to keep my fingers clear of the thermocouple as that could also influence results. I then started logging the data and turned on the light. I continued to log the data for 20 minutes, doing a bit of flexing every once in a while to ensure proper blood flow. Had I been active outdoors, blood flow would have been higher. The final temperature after 20 minutes of running in my hand was 39.9C, a delta of 13.2 degree Celsius.

For step two, I allowed the CL1H to fan cool to the previous starting temperature. When it reached 26.7C, I placed it on a pelican case raised off the floor, and put it again in the path of the fan. I restarted data logging, and turned on the light. Again I logged for 20 minutes. This is an identical cooling configuration to that which I use for my own previously published runtime tests. The final measured temperature was 39.4C, 0.5 degrees below the hand held test and a delta of 12.7 degrees Celsius. This is a difference in temperature rise of 3.9%.

The graph which resulted was interesting to say the least.

airvhand.png

As you can see, the air cooling had a very, very slight advantage over cooling by hand. However, I would say that the equilibrium temperatures under these conditions would have been within 1C of each other, and it is a fairly trivial difference. Had the air flow been only slightly lower, the curves would likely have been identical.

Had I been outdoors and active at the time, there would have been additional cooling air flow over the bezel, as well as my blood circulation would have been higher. These would have impacted the graph and potentially represents a source of inaccuracy.

From the graph I would conclude that at reasonable "summer" temperatures, the human body is basically as good as a fan at cooling a 5 watt power source. As mentioned previously, had my air flow rate been only slightly lower, the two curves would have ended up identical to each other.

I will continue to use a fan while testing, confident that it is not unduly impacting my test results due to thermal effects.

For those who requested an uncooled temperature graph, here it is:

cl1h-passive.png

Ambient was 4 degrees Celsius cooler by the time this test was done, which will impact the curve.

Notice how the temperature never actually plateaued, despite reaching over 48C here. When I pulled the battery out and measured it, it was still 38.4C at the positive end and 33.4C at the negative. Judging by that, at this point we were dealing with the battery partially cooling the LED and the temperature could have gone much, much higher if left to its own devices.

Regards,
Eric

Last edited:

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about open air no fan?

+1
It would be interesting to see where the equilibrium was relative to the more actively cooled options. That said your core question was hand versus moving air, and you did provide some illumination there. :thumbsup:

Citivolus

Enlightened
+1
It would be interesting to see where the equilibrium was relative to the more actively cooled options.

Added to the first post as requested. Note that the ambient temperature was lower for this test, which will mean equilibrium would be that much higher if performed at the same temperature.

Regards,
Eric

Marduke

Flashaholic
Wow, thanks a lot for that. That is exactly the sort of behavior that is so difficult to get some people to understand. Some people just don't understand and/or believe that holding a light will allow it to stay significantly cooler than stagnant air.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I don't think it is trivial at all trying to come up with a runtime test that will be a reasonable representation of typical use of a light. Hand held or set down. On and off for various lengths of duration. Temperature of battery. So many things impact the actual use time!!

I did some tests a few years back where the light was in ambient air or ambient water of the same temperature. The differences in runtimes were significant and quite a surprise to some of us!!

I believe runtime tests should be consistent in nature to allow for relative comparisons between lights but that the actual runtime one might experience in real world use could differ significantly from the bench test.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Very nice, thank our. :twothumbs

Your did this test on a "large" light, if your have any small high power 1*CR123 ,1XAA or 1XAAA, it would be fun to see their curve. I would expect a faster rise of temperature and hopefully a level off at some level (when your have cooling).

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder if Mev will bother to offer a front page retraction to all the "CPF ignoratti" now that he's been proving wrong? ;)

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's interesting the open air no fan curve shows no sign of leveling off any time soon, while the hand and fan cooled curves have both leveled off rather quickly.

I guess people would like to know what your fortuitous fan is that perfectly approximates the human touch ;)

Any pix of your test rig ?

Last edited:

Citivolus

Enlightened
It's interesting the open air no fan curve shows no sign of leveling off any time soon, while the hand and fan cooled curves have both leveled off rather quickly.

I guess people would like to know what your fortuitous fan is that perfectly approximates the human touch ;)

Any pix of your test rig ?

I too was surprised that the open air temperature curve went linear rather than hitting equilibrium. I would partially attribute it to the battery continuing to warm.

The fan I was using was a Vornado 630B at about 1m distance, on low. The CL1H was sitting on a small Pelican case.

I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Regards,
Eric