Thanks CPF - Ordered a Romisen RC-F4

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
I read the huge thread on best bang for the buck LED flashlights (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199062) and found it very comprehensive. Thanks!

I was disappointed that DealExtreme.com (DX) didn't carry the Cree Q5 version of the RC-F4, but I'll live. Maybe when I get my Romisen, I'll realize I need ANOTHER cool flashlight and get that one. Or maybe the RC-I3. Who knows.

I used to have an Inova X5 i got for like $60 at sharper image a few years ago, but it somehow got lost. No clue where it has gone. Was happy to see I could get a charger + grey Trustfire CR123A's + Romisen RC-F4 for under $30, and it will probably be better than my Inova.

Why is it that Inova doesn't get reviewed? Do they suck? Or just not as good for the buck as others?

Also, looking for a recommendation of a good deal on a larger, 3 C-cell or D-cell LED flashlight to replace my old trusty big-*** Maglight.

portezbie

Newly Enlightened
U checked out the q5 romisens from shining beam right? There is a discount code too.
If u are looking for something big to replace a maglite, you may just want to get a maglite drop in. That is probably what I am going to get next personally.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/193434
As far as the inova's go, ppl seem to have nothing but good things to say about them except that they don't seem to be keeping up very well with new tech. Most of their lights, although good, seem a bit outdated but I might be wrong
Enjoy the romisen tho, I love my rc-n3. Probably going to give in and get the q5 version soon or possibly the romisen rc-x5, looks neat. Then there's that new fenix e20 coming out which looks neat.....sigh....

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The newer Inovas do use a current gen LED, the TFFC K2, but right now they don't seem to be talked about as much.

They seem to be though lights that are relatively easy for the general public to get their hands on.

As for the Maglite, it might be easier to find a drop-in. This thread can help.

:welcome:

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
@Gunner12 -- Rock! That thread was great. I think the best bang for the buck is that KaiDomain pack with the lens and Cree Q5. Who knew how much fun flashlights could be? :-D

@portezbie -- Yeah, I saw the Q5, but shining beam didn't stock the CR123A rechargables (Grey Trustfires) I wanted, and I didn't want to order from two companies. XD had everything I wanted in stock, and SB was a bit pricier for the stuff I did want. If I just need a flashlight, I'll get it from SB.

I'm confused by the Cree P4 vs Q5. I get that the Q5 is brighter for not much loss in battery life, but it clearly doesn't make every flashlight better. And are there different P4's? I saw the RC-X5 you mentioned has aCree XR-E P4... is that different than another P4?

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
The newer Inovas do use a current gen LED, the TFFC K2, but right now they don't seem to be talked about as much.

They seem to be though lights that are relatively easy for the general public to get their hands on.
I've mentioned several times my pretty constant use of an X5 (latest gen). It's a tough little light, gives me plenty of battery runtime and it's small enough to carry daily. I've left a few X5 sized half circle dings in floors from dropping it out of ceilings and from high up in racks. I don't even see scuffs or contact points on the X5 from these.

I've got a T2 ordered and on the way, and then I'll have to put my buying habits to bed for awhile.

OP: The Romisen you ordered looks like a good light as well. I'd be interested to hear about your impressions once it arrives.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Cree P4 and Cree Q5 are different bins of the same model of LEDs(they are both Cree XR-E LEDs).

The Q5 has a higher efficiency then the P4, so for the same input power the Q5 bin will create more light.

But the Q5 bin has a higher input voltage then the P4 on average. Some drivers don't deal well with this somewhat small difference in voltage so the new LED might only equal the older P4 in output, but then the Q5 might add a longer runtime.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well said Gunner12, i still say that you should have gotten the Q5 version.....too me leds are like a lottory, sometimes you get a good one and sometimes you dont.

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
@nightflyer -- I'll let you know what I think, since my only experience with LED flashlights is the Inova x5. And it was a model from 3-4 years ago, so I don't know if the comparison will really be fair. I'll look for a review of your T2! Honestly, if the Romisen RC-F4 is good, I'll never go back to the inova if I can get the same light and build quality for 1/3rd the price (or less).

@Gunner12 -- Thanks for the info. Maybe I'm just helping DX clear out their RC-F4 Cree P4 inventory out.

@alfreddajero -- At $19.97 minus 6% discount + free shipping ($18.77), I can afford to make the mistake of getting the Cree P4, and get the Cree Q5 version later! :) Maybe I'll get both and review.

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
oops, double post. Ignore. Admin? Delete.

Last edited:

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
Turns out that DX wasn't going to ship until 6/23/08 because it wasn't in stock. Well that just plain sucks! Not that I need it so badly, but I WANT it. Huh. Now I'm looking at their about page, and it looks like it's 12-17 days for delivery anyway. Ouch! Good prices, LONG wait. Any other recommended places, either local to Washington DC or in the US with faster shipping and good prices on the Trustfire charger and CR123A 3.6v Grey batteries? Or better recommendations on batteries + charger for the new flashlight?

So I canceled my DX order (which I could do online, thank you DX!) and ordered via ShiningBeam.com. I'll probably order the batteries and charger from DX anyway. May as well get the latest and greatest version if I'm gonna get it.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool, so now your going to get the Q5 version....nice. Shiningbeam is a good place to get it, since he's the only shop that carries the Q5.

NightFlyer

Newly Enlightened
@nightflyer -- I'll let you know what I think, since my only experience with LED flashlights is the Inova x5. And it was a model from 3-4 years ago, so I don't know if the comparison will really be fair. I'll look for a review of your T2! Honestly, if the Romisen RC-F4 is good, I'll never go back to the inova if I can get the same light and build quality for 1/3rd the price (or less).

You can bet I'll review the T2 and compare it against my X0 as well. (The X0 will go up for sale probably end of this week).

So I caught your note about DX not having your light in stock and the fact that you will be getting the newer version.. cool!

As for output, I can tell you right now that your new light will blow the old X5 out of the water. Usability, who knows? Your X5 has been faithful and reliable and is still quite usable as a backup or emergency, or even as a primary light where close-up work is performed. Sometimes a little less and flood is better than a whole lot of light concentrated to a beam.

Still, I'm sure you will be very pleased with your new light and look forward to your observations. Who knows, perhaps a ways down the road, I might get one.

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
Well damn, that is bright!!! I ended up getting the RC-F4 Cree Q5 after I found out DX took 3 weeks to deliver. I compared it to my maglite 3c (haha) and it was mostly a joke. I lost my Inova X5 a while back, and needed a new light.

What I didn't expect was how fast the thing sucks batteries!!! That's a bit of a disappointment, but I'm gonna get a rechargable solution soon, which should drop the pain a bit.

Anyway, very bright, hotter than reviewed IMO after a bit of use, but beautiful light, great throw, not a flood (which is good for me). I'm impressed for the money.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its a light thats going to be used everyday i would keep rechargeables and primaries on hand.......

ooglek

Newly Enlightened
@tonym -- According to the review page, the RCR123A's last about 75 minutes, and the 17670 lasts about 160 minutes until you drop down too low. I think I should get my next flashlight that accepts 18650's, seems to be the highest density of power.

@alfreddajero -- I don't need a flashlight every day for more than an hour, so I think I'll be OK with two sets of rechargables, two RCR123a's and one 17670. Primaries, or one-time-use batteries, like the copper tops -- didn't really understand what that meant until i spent an hour in the battery forums!

rcf4q5combinedvv7.gif