Buying my first high end torch.

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
Hi, i will be buying my first high end torch and i have no idea which torch to buy. I have just moved neighborhood where there are no street lights so i can not see where im going. When i walk my dog at night it is completly black. I have a cheap supermarket torch with the big battery but its not satisfactory. I know Surefire are a good brand so im going with them. The problem is i cant decide which one to get. The more i look at the website the more i convince myself to buy The U2 led but common sence tells me to go with the 6pl or the G3 Nitrolon and im not even sure if they are the right choice. I would really apreciate any advice.

mdocod

Flashaholic
You might pick up something semi-fancy for starts and see where it leads you. Once you dive into lithium powered lights it would be wise to decide before a lot of purchases if you are going to use the lights enough to warrant the use of rechargeable cells li-ion cells. If it be the case, you may be better served by a collection from a smattering of alternatives that offer flashlights *geared* for use with slightly larger diameter li-ion cells.

Try not to worry too much about that now, just go down to Lowes and pick up a TaskForce 2C size 3W LED flashlight. It's silver bodied with a black grip, look for the package with the big "60X" in large lettering and small lettering that reads "Xlamp" on the package. For $30 it's about the best introduction to what a fairly decent flashlight can be. There are many better lights out there, but not at that price :)

Eric

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You don't have to pay a lot to get what you want. If you don't want to pay a lot(under $40) check DX in the Cree/Seoul/Rebel section(current gen LED) for lights getting good reviews.

What do you need?
Battery?
Runtime?
Beam pattern?
Multimode?(low, high, strobe etc.)
Preferred price range?

I'd start with something light the Fenix L2D-CE Q5 or L2T V2.0(8% off coupon is "CPF8"). The Olight T25 would be a good choice too(coupon is "CPF2006").

:welcome:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:
There are plenty of lights out there. Most of them would be amazing to a newbie.

Do some research on this board, there is an abundance of info!
You can't go wrong with a Surefire, however there are many other manufacturers that offer great lights at great prices.

See this excellent thread for reasonably priced flashlights. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199062

As Gunner12 says Fenix make great mid range lights and are very popular here at CPF.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Pila is a great company that makes tough lights, but IMO the Codex should work a lot better with the LEDs. The LEDs won't get yellower with a lower current.

nickbizzlex13

Newly Enlightened
Do you think 500 lumen's is to much for a bouncer at a night club? would 200 lumen's be better? Trying to figure out what flashlight to buy.

Zenster

Enlightened
I know Surefire are a good brand so im going with them. The problem is i cant decide which one to get. The more i look at the website the more i convince myself to buy The U2 led but common sence tells me to go with the 6pl or the G3 Nitrolon and im not even sure if they are the right choice. I would really apreciate any advice.

For your very first high-end light, you couldn't go wrong with the Surefire 6PL.
However, if you buy the standard 6P (incandescent), you'd pay less at first, but then take a look at Malkoff Devices M60L drop-in.
All total, you'd end up paying more than the 6PL, but it would give you a light much brighter than the stock 6PL (140 lumens vs. the 80 lumens of the 6PL), and you'd get 4 hours+ runtime as well.

And if you'll consider other ways to go, don't overlook some of the more compact but VERY bright for their size lights. I'm thinking of the Fenix L2D-CE/Q5 as one of them. It runs on AA's (including rechargeables), and it is is a multi-mode light that offers different levels including a strobe (great for helping someone pick you out in a crowd).
That was my very first new generation LED light, and it's performance amazed me compared to anything else I'd ever owned, and it's what started me down this crazy path of Flashaholizm.

My .02

ToeMoss

Newly Enlightened
Assuming you'll be walking the dog often, I suspect you'll be very interested in a rechargeable flashlight.
I'd be looking at the L7 LumaMax kit if I were in your shoes. Bright but not too bright, easily rechargeable, high quality, pocketable.
Happy Shopping and welcome to CPF!

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
Yes now that you mention it i will be walking the dog almost every night which is a lot of lithium batteries. To anyone who has contributed to my post thankyou for trying to find a cheap alternative but i think i may have to buy a rechargable torch now.How many charges can i get from the b90 battery before having to replace it?

Last edited:

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
No i dont own any high end torches, i have a Eveready torch which is hopless too say the least. It just gets swallowed up by the dark. I guess i didnt realise how crap it was until i had no street lights.

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
How long do the bulbs last on the Commander and can you buy rechargable 123A lithium batteries?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I don't know how long the bulbs last on the commender but there are rechargeable CR123 batteries. Most bulbs don't work with them(they will pop) because of the higher voltage of the rechargeable batteries.

Will you be looking at other lights besides Surefire? Surefire is not the only higher end flashlight company.

Stating what you need in this light can help with the selection(size, output, battery and so on).

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
The reason i like Surefire is because i have looked through the forums on here and many people say that Surefire are the best quality. Im not really worried about saving a few dollars here or there if i can buy something once and never again or at least a long time. I know Fenix are popular but they are made in china and i never buy anything made in china. Also they look like they have copied the design of Surefire.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason i like Surefire is because i have looked through the forums on here and many people say that Surefire are the best quality. Im not really worried about saving a few dollars here or there if i can buy something once and never again or at least a long time. I know Fenix are popular but they are made in china and i never buy anything made in china. Also they look like they have copied the design of Surefire.

Because we all know Surefire invented hard-anodizing and knurling. :tinfoil:

I wonder how much of your computer originated in China as well. :wave:

kelsojack

Newly Enlightened
Im sorry, I take back everything i said. I have looked at the Fenix torches and i will be buying one of those. I just cant understand how they can make better performing torches for a much cheaper price.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Fenix might have gotten the inspiration for their T series from Surefire(pretty easy to see that connection) but the others models are all original. Surefire makes more hard use/tactical use lights. Fenix makes EDC everyday use lights. Fenix has only recently tried the Tactical market.

Two different companied making lights aimed at different markets(well, most of the time).

If you reason for not buying from China is quality, then you shouldn't be worried quality wise. Many of the more expensive($70 and up) lights are similar to Surefire quality wise. If you have another reason, then I'll probably understand.

If you want to buy once and never again and want to get Surefire, I'd suggest a P60/P90 lamp accepting light. Those will be pretty easy to upgrade.