HDS EDC Basic 42 XR GT - Whistle Issue

Joseph Milton

Enlightened
Hello all,

I know this can be an occurance with these lights, but my HDS humms or whistles, or just makes an annoying high pitch sound when it is on. I have 3 HDS lights and this is the only one.

How can I fix this problem?

Who would I contact?

Thanks for the help.

Joseph

PS---I really want a new twisty (non-related to this issue!)

84Maroon

Banned
It is an issue with some of them, but I am afraid there is not really a "fix" for it.

Illum

Flashaholic
whats happening is a small piece of the ferrite core or some sort of debris that is magnetizable is lodged in the wire coil of the inductor in the lights boost circuit...when the boost circuit is being operated the magnetic oscillation that takes place in the inductor creates an "impromptu speaker" using that little piece of debris, thats what your hearing if its loud enough to be heard without pressing your ear onto it.

the only method to fixing it would be to swap out the inductor, but that will require the disassembly of your light, which if you don't know wtf your doing I'd suggest leaving it alone:)

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
I have two U60s which hum on some levels. As you said, it's a pretty comon occurrence with these lights. I have fairly sensitive ears and for me, the humming can only be heard when they are held up close to my ears. The humming doesn't impact on the reliability of the lights or affect their usability, unless it's so annoying that you avoid using a particular setting.

One thing you could do is try reprogramming your levels to ones where the humming is quieter. I've noticed that levels right next to each other on the brightness scale can be dramatically different in terms of noise. With your B42, using the 250 click backdoor, this could take some time. Apart from that, I don't think there's much else you can do about the noise. :shrug: