WF-800 P7 with 3 driver in paralel @2.4A

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flashlight DX SKU 6965(WF 800)
This happend to be a bit tricky mod for me, since the drivers i have is an older version (DX SKU 3256) which has 2 large electrolyte capacitors while the new one seems to be using a SMD capacitor hence the thinner profile. The only place where i can put this drivers is around the small place between the head and the reflector and i have to bend the capacitor flat out to minimize the overall thickness.

with all the drivers soldered and arranged(kind of) ready to be placed inside the body.
DSCN7584.jpg

The pill screwed inside the body, i wrapped each driver with kapton tape just to avoid unnecessary problem later on like shorting and some other unwanted stuffs.
DSCN7588.jpg

Now with the reflector, windows and the bezel attached.
DSCN7593.jpg

the flashlight
DSCN7595.jpg

With unmodified reflector the spot and throws is good but i cant screw the bezel with the glass installed since reflector sits higher so I have to shave a mm off the base of the reflector, but with the shaved reflector it doesnt throw as good as before since the LED sit deeper inside the reflector. I will solve this problem latter.

Original reflector
DSCN7598.jpg

Modified reflector( i should have cut the top not the bottom :( )
DSCN7596.jpg

Measured Current:
Battery draw ~1.6A, Emitter Current ~2.4A (Using 2x18650)
Seems better compared to 8x7135 at this battery setup.

I'll probably add 1 more driver to get 3A when i get additional driver (assuming it will work) and sputtered the reflector if i cant get the original beam.

Thanks.

UPDATE: having weird problem with the driver running in paralel, it shuts itself off after around 5 minutes of runtime probably heat from the pill since its very close position to it. After just 5 seconds of rest it always work again and then shuts it self off again. I think i have to sink it to body.

Last edited:

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hotspot looks pretty intense on your first pic. at what distance was it taken? Do you see the 4 dies or a cross in the center of the hotspot? Any long distance beamshots? Looks cool!

AlexGT

Drewfus2101

Enlightened
Very nicely done. I don't feel like doing the efficiency numbers (long day here at work) but I've been putting off actually building a light with those drivers. When I get around to ordering some P7 sinks I'll probably get a few for C size Mags and do a 2 x 18650 setup with the same drivers.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I've always though that if I were to make a light, the driver will be around the reflector to save space.

Nice mod!

KRS1

Newly Enlightened
Rizky

is that plastic reflector?

got scratch marks on my reflector wanting to get replacement / hoping some one here make aluminium reflector:popcorn:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hotspot looks pretty intense on your first pic. at what distance was it taken? Do you see the 4 dies or a cross in the center of the hotspot? Any long distance beamshots? Looks cool!

AlexGT

The distance was around 2 meters, it looks intense but doesnt throw like it should despite a deep reflector. I can adjust the reflector and get the same donut hole like the mag plastic reflector+P7, that adjustment throws alot further.

in the last shot i see a cross in the centre just like when you screw down too much with the mag head running P7.

@KRS1: yes it is the original plastic reflector.

eprom

Newly Enlightened
Hi rizky_p,

The problem of shutdown is caused by driver, it is reported that this driver can not handle over 6V input for a long time,

Queted from Reviews section of DX (orjinal post by _CiViLiS_)

I have found a detailed analysis of this board: http://www.caves.ru/showthread.php?t=17400
Unfortunately this review is written in Russian.

The resume is:
* This board can works only when input voltage is 3-5.2v. The board is overheated and very quickly destroyed when input is more than 6v.

* The average efficiency is 88% and maximum efficiency is 92% when input is 3.0 volt.

Good Luck...

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have been using the same driver on 2x14500 running SSC P4 and fine maybe something in the paralel connection?

Arent DX advertized this as a 3.6-8.4v driver?