MilkySpit SureFire L1 LumaMax (a.k.a. Milky ML1) - Updated with 2nd ML1

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
Updated 07-18-08: Crenshaw just added his review of a different ML1. Thanks Crenshaw

I just got my new MilkySpit modded SureFire L1 LumaMax (aka Milky ML1). I was in awe with the way this light had turned out and I felt compelled to share it with you guys. Enjoy!

Brief Intro
Although SureFire L1 Lumamax is not the brightest flashlight out there, I always liked it. The overall size, weight, two-stage lock-out tailcap, and my overall weakness for SureFire E series style lights are to blame for. The SF L1 is not a new light, and many already know the specs (probably by heart), but here it is anyway:
  • Output: 65 Lumens High / 10 Lumens Low
  • Runtime: 1.5 Hours High / 16 Hours Low
  • Length and Weight: 4.52", 2.9 oz
What I Didn't Like About SureFire L1 LumaMax

Although I love the SureFire E series style flashlights, I am not too fond of the narrow beam pattern from Total Internal Reflection (TIR) optics. In addition, the relatively low lumens output, beam artifact, slightly greenish tint, and its inability to run on rechargable batteries are turn offs for me as well. Of course, all this is based on my jaded perception from the dangerous exposure to CPF. :nana: I'm sure I would have been more than happy with the SF L1 if I hadn't discovered this forum.

Milky Magic
I sent MilkySpit (Scott) a PM and discussed how I can improve my SF L1. Although Scott's a busy man, he was courteous in exchanging PMs with me for a few days. Finally, I decided that I wanted the following:
  • Replace the stocked CREE Led to Seoul SSC P4 USWOH
  • Replace the stocked TIR optic to UCL window
  • Add IMS20 Smooth Reflector - Scott calls it his "smoothie"
  • Change the stocked driver to a high-output buck/boost MadMax+ driver
  • Bore out the battery tube to fit rechargable RCR123a battery
  • Calibrate the tailcap to keep the low at around 10-15 lumens
Now Presenting .... the New Milky ML1

I sent out my SF L1 to Scott on Monday afternoon (6/16), Scott received it on Tuesday, called me on Tuesday night to discuss what he had done to my light, shipped it out on Wednesday morning, and I got it today (6/19)!!! Knowing that Scott has a lot of mods to work on, I didn't expect to see my SF L1 for at least a month :candle: .

After Scott worked his magic, my SF ML1 has became one of my favorite lights. Here's the new ML1:
  • Runs on both primary 3.0v CR123a and 3.7v RCR123a
  • Max output is approxiamtely 200 lumens on RCR123a (about 40 minutes), and 165 lumens on CR123a (about 1 hour)
  • Low output is approximately 15 lumens on RCR123a, and 8-10 lumens on CR123a (about 20 hours).
  • A very nice white and flawless beam pattern with bright hotspot with very useable spill. Among all the lights I have, my McGizmo Lunasol 20, McLux-Ti-XR19-PD, and Novatac 120P have the nicest beam pattern. The ML1 has equally nice beam but has the widest and brightest hotspot and spill.
Okay, enough talk, let's see some photos. I do apologize that my photography skills is not that great. I blame on my digital camera. :whistle:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My SF ML1 - Scott is not going to be happy, but after taking this photo, I rip the label off. :aaa:According to our fellow CPF member ttran97, he said ripping Scott's label off is like ripping the whoosh symbol from your Nike sneaker

SF_ML1.jpg

A Look at the Head - Bad photo, but I'm trying to show the reflector and SSC P4. You get the point
ML1_LED.jpg

Low Output - About 10ft Away - Running on a freshly charged AW 3.7v Protected RCR123a
ML_LOW.jpg

High Output - About 10ft Away - Running on a freshly charged AW 3.7v Protected RCR123a
ML_HIGH.jpg

A Failed Attempt to Show the High Output Beam - Note, the beam pattern is flawless. Any artifact that may be depicted on the photo is due to the uncooperating camera. :whistle:. Okay okay, the photographer sucked.
ML_HIGH_2.jpg

Overall, I cannot be more pleased with the result. This light will serve me for many years to come ... I might have lost my incentive to get any more 1xCR123a lights. :huh:

My ML1 will not be a shelf queen. Instead, it will be part of my EDC rotation, and number one choice for my future backpacking excursions. :twothumbs I will post more photos when I take this light outdoors.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any questions. If you want to get your light modded, drop MilkySpit a line.

Some of Milky ThreadsThanks for reading.

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Introducing My New MilkySpit SureFire L1 LumaMax (a.k.a. Milky ML1)

Second Flavour!

DSC01770.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

DSC01774.jpg

Receieved from Milky awhile ago. its bright!

ML1 on left, P1DQ5 on right
ML1vsP1DQ5max-1.jpg

Same shot, Lower Exposure
ML1vsP1DQ5maxlowex-1.jpg

Both on Low
ML1vsP1Q5low-1.jpg

Same shot, Lower Exposure
ML1vsP1DQ5Lowlowex-1.jpg

Output: 165+Lumen
Spec: 900ma on RCR123a
CreeXRE McR19cut MG MM+ 30ohm Tail

Its been in my pocket ever since i got it..:)

Crenshaw

Last edited:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

:naughty: That's the benefit of Scott living in NJ and me living in NY. He shipped to me via USPS and it only took one day. :nana:

NO FAIRRRRRR, i ordered first, and its still in the hands of USPS....

Crenshaw

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

it came in JUST as i was typing that...freaky huh...:D:D

short write up:

the beam is PERFECT, i have never seen a perfect Cree beam before. I origianlyl asked scott to leave the Optic in there, but he put in a reflector for me, at no extra cost! thank you so much scott! Scott has solved the problem of cree rings. Cree rings were there (i always thought so) because of that little silver ring around the actualy dome. What Scott has done, is the reflectors fits exactly around the DOME, not the metal ring. Thus, perfect, flawless, novatac-ish beam.
The Low is also perfect now, i envision myself using this for ALOT of things now.

and unlike the OP, i shall be keeping the white tag on, as a sign of the L1's superority to other stock L1s. :D

Crenshaw

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a similar light a few months back...the ML-1x. That one was driven harder and got roughly 250 lumen. I sold it, but occasionally think about buying it back from cqbdude. hehe.

These are really great lights and although they're not as small or as bright as the E1B Creemators, the ML1's have that great two-stage tailcap. Plus, I'm always more willing to actually use my HAIII natural color lights. The black lights look too nice for me to use without worry. :)

I'm amazed that milkyspit gets as many lights done as he does. Not only does he work hard, he also spends a good deal of time communicating with CPFers. He's a one-man operation. The positive thing about that is that he gives 100% into his work and when you get your light from him, you know it's going to be amazing. But of course, the negative side to all that personal attention is the amount of time it takes for some mods to get finished.

The majority of his mods have a fast turn-around time. I'd say less than 2 weeks. If you think about it, that's pretty darn fast! The more intricate and complex mods will take longer, of course...but that's to be expected. If you want something instantly, people are always selling milkyspit mods so you can just grab one of those. But if you want something done especially for you, and done right, patience is key.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think great works, take time, and i agree with ttran here, scott is a one man operation, and after reading this post it really puts into perspective exactly how much work there is for him to do.

Oh, if theres onething tiny gripe i had about my particular ML1, is the tint is abit cool for my tastes, but this is really nit picking,and differs from taste to taste, and if i wanted, scott COULD have handpicked the emittor for me at slightly higher cost. But, its a great light as is right now. cant wait for it to get dark

omg, discovered something else, it has a GITD oring behind the lens...wow!

Crenshaw

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

:twothumbs very nice. my 4th milky should be done soon i think! just spoke with him tonight... cant wait

good to hear this'll be a true user

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had a similar light a few months back...the ML-1x. That one was driven harder and got roughly 250 lumen. I sold it, but occasionally think about buying it back from cqbdude. hehe.

I remember that light. I could tell you didn't want to sell it. You post it up on BST, changed your mind and decided to keep it, and then a few days later, it popped back up on BST. That was a pretty sweet light.

~~~~~~~~
I'm amazed that milkyspit gets as many lights done as he does. Not only does he work hard, he also spends a good deal of time communicating with CPFers. He's a one-man operation. The positive thing about that is that he gives 100% into his work and when you get your light from him, you know it's going to be amazing. But of course, the negative side to all that personal attention is the amount of time it takes for some mods to get finished.

One thing I really liked about Scott is that he's honest about his work. He called me to tell me about what he did with my light and explained that it's not 100% perfect according to him. Of course, since he modded the light, he's a little more critical to himself than others would be. The little imperfection that he told me about I wouldn't have noticed if he didn't tell me. I had to do a white-wall hunt from 5 feet to see what he was talking about. Needless to say, I blinded myself for a bit :sick2:. He could have simply choose not to tell me about it.

cqbdude

Enlightened

:popcorn::naughty:

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

omg, discovered something else, it has a GITD oring behind the lens...wow!

Crenshaw

Ahhhhh. I was looking in the lens to see if I had the GITD oring, and I accidentally pushed the tailcap. :hahaha: Luckily, it was only on low. I didn't get a GITD oring ... oh well, not a big fan anyway (sour grapes) :whistle:.

EDIT: from cqbdude's response, I don't think ttran97 is going to get his ML-1x for awhile :candle:

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahhhhh. I was looking in the lens to see if I had the GITD oring, and I accidentally pushed the tailcap. :hahaha: Luckily, it was only on low. I didn't get a GITD oring ... oh well, not a big fan anyway (sour grapes) :whistle:.

haha, but youve got a nice warm beam with the ssc inside yes?
and youve got a SMO reflector = more throw

Crenshaw

Last edited:

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, I gotta warn you guys....even though the L1 head will fit on an E2e body, don't do it because it will direct drive the LED and make it go :poof:.

That's what happened to me and I had to send it in to get a new emitter installed.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

haha, but youve got a nice warm beam with the ssc inside yes?
and youve got a SMO reflector = more throw

Crenshaw

The SSC beam is slightly warmer than most of my other lights. The warmest light I have is my Novatac 120P ... luck of the lottery.

Actually, you still have the TIR optics, so yours should throw farther than mine, but I have more useable spill.

~~~~
Oh, I gotta warn you guys....even though the L1 head will fit on an E2e body, don't do it because it will direct drive the LED and make it go :poof:.

That's what happened to me and I had to send it in to get a new emitter installed.

Oooh ... thanks for the advice. I hadn't really thought about it, but I'm sure some point along the line I would have started legoing.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you say 165 lumens is it emitter or out front?

I'm still debating if I want to send my L1 in, maybe I'll wait till cree come out with a higher bin so I can have emitter swapped at the same time.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The SSC beam is slightly warmer than most of my other lights. The warmest light I have is my Novatac 120P ... luck of the lottery.

Actually, you still have the TIR optics, so yours should throw farther than mine, but I have more useable spill.

~~~~

Oooh ... thanks for the advice. I hadn't really thought about it, but I'm sure some point along the line I would have started legoing.

nope, actually Milky added in a MOP reflector for me. Originally, i wanted to keep the TIR, but after seeing this reflector, no way im going back. :D

Ill probably get a E2E at some point, so i can use 3.7 lithium batteries that are the size of 2 RCR123A (i forget thier exact number code), not 18650, the one thinner then that. Ill lego that to either the nitecore extreme (buying as soon as fenixstore stocks them) or ill lego the ML1 Head...

Crenshaw

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

When you say 165 lumens is it emitter or out front?

I'm still debating if I want to send my L1 in, maybe I'll wait till cree come out with a higher bin so I can have emitter swapped at the same time.

Scott told me those numbers, and I took his words for it. I'm not quite sure if it's emitter or OTF. :thinking: I presume it is from the emitter.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast

These mods look interesting. A few questions....first, how much do they cost? Second, I am going to assume (this may be a stupid question...and I am pretty sure I know the answer :D) that this voids the lifetime Surefire warranty?

Mike

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast

These mods look interesting. A few questions....first, how much do they cost? Second, I am going to assume (this may be a stupid question...and I am pretty sure I know the answer :D) that this voids the lifetime Surefire warranty?

Mike

Scott's price usually starts at around $85. The exact price depends on what you want. I would PM Scott for more detailed information.

Yes, the mod will essentially void the SureFire warranty. That applies for any mod service you do to any brand flashlight. However, I'm sure Scott will take care of it if he mod fails. I haven't heard anyone who experienced any failures with Scott's modded light.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic

Moving this to the Review section.