Used light defensively last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEDrock

Enlightened
Just as I was closing my porch window last night before going to bed, I heard footsteps coming from between my house and the neighbor's house. Then this big black guy comes around to the front of my house and walks up the steps to my door. I had a light in my hand and instinctively turned it on and then turned on the porch light, after which this guy took off. About 5 minutes later, 4 police cars show up with search lights shining at people's houses. When they saw me, they came up to my house and asked me if I had seen anything unusual. I told them about what happened, and they said they were looking for that individual because he had pistol-whipped someone after a narcotics sale! The police then said I had to write a statement, so I did.

Soon after this, this guy's car, which was parked directly in front of my house and had no license plates, was towed away.

The moral of the story: When it's dark, you're much safer if you have a light. (Like I need to tell you guys that! :shakehead)

What light did I have? Nothing special. Just a ROV Roughneck 2D kryton bulb light. It's a plastic version of a maglite, I guess.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought from the sound of the title that you had used the strike bezel on an assailant.:twak:

Glad you're OK and its very good practise indeed to carry a flashlight when its dark.

Empath

Flashaholic
The story is of interest, but the presentation is patently offensive. It should be simple enough to edit into something worthwhile.

On a proper edit, I will also remove this post. Otherwise, the thread will be closed soon.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Empath,I was beginning to think you were a killjoy"no disrespect intended"I had to read it several times..now I see it ,second sentence,my apologizes to you for my initial thoughts.

(EDIT) my post is also ment as a clue to LEDrock.

Last edited:

Retinator

Enlightened
What may offend some is that the person's ethnicity is an issue. It doesn't matter what the person was.

Was the guy the same person that the police were looking for, maybe. And maybe the car was not his either. There are too many assumptions implied.

People are whatever they are, but it's impolite at best to point it out. Just as any person here is anonymous in both gender/so called race.

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like I said,I read it several time and that is all I could find potentially offensive..you cannot use words like that in the UK.no big deal, and I am not intending to make one.

Empath

Flashaholic
It's not a matter of being PC, any more than the use of "big" was a matter of PC. The difference is that "big" was a real cause for concern. Black wasn't. Had he written "this big white guy comes around", a possible majority of our members might have thought it had a strange feel to it. Since he's not fiing a description with us to help him with his search, "this big guy comes around", is all the scary we needed.

The thread is no longer on topic. It's closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.