Black Moon LTD
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    The Acorn is regulated on all levels, so your light would have absolutely flat output (in other words, the line on a brightness vs. runtime graph would look flat, not sloping)... at some point the light would fall out of regulation but running on a primary as you're doing, it the output would STILL look about as bright, just start dimming very gradually... you probably wouldn't even notice the dimming for quite a while.

Are you running on low or ultralow? I assume the latter.

nice. yeah still seems flat after 11.5 days now on "low". it goes high, low, medium on this one, so its the 2nd setting low. not miser mode, thatll be even longer...

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    You mean during the rare scenario that something accidentally falls through the cracks?
    Sorry, just teasing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    Hey Scott, just musing...not really gonna get anything other then the Creemator Built now...but wondering, what could you do with a Longbow Macapsule to fit the Longbow stock optic? (Luxeon)

Crenshaw

Crenshaw, the Longbow stock optic is an NX05, which was designed for the low dome Luxeon from WAAAAAAY back, but also was commonly used for the high dome Luxeons as in the Longbow. Yes, something based on a Seoul P4 ought to work, but to be honest the optic itself is pretty obsolete... even replacing it with a different optic of similar size, like the smaller Fraen optic, would be a big improvement and would not cost much more... in fact, it would be easy enough for you to swap optics yourself. As to the larger question, yes, something CAN be done and the improvement would be significant.
    --Scott

Hello Scott/Mr.Milky...
    this is probably the quickest way to contact you at the moment,

I have a Surefire KL2head+M3 body just purchased on ebay, Id like to send it to you, to join the Q for your magic wand work. If interested, please PM a delivery address, So I can get the guy to send it directly to You, it would be very helpful ,as I am not in the USA at this time.
    regards,
    Gabe.
    ADDED: This is no way an attempt to rush you to do any work for me. If you tell me it will be 6 weeks or 6 months before I get anything, thats fine.
    But I do need to do something proactive,
    ....Ill better knowing Ive planted a SF seed in your workshop, then patiently wait while genetic LED engineering take its course.... .
    Last edited by Kn1; 07-08-2008 at 12:12 AM.

Crenshaw, the Longbow stock optic is an NX05, which was designed for the low dome Luxeon from WAAAAAAY back, but also was commonly used for the high dome Luxeons as in the Longbow. Yes, something based on a Seoul P4 ought to work, but to be honest the optic itself is pretty obsolete... even replacing it with a different optic of similar size, like the smaller Fraen optic, would be a big improvement and would not cost much more... in fact, it would be easy enough for you to swap optics yourself. As to the larger question, yes, something CAN be done and the improvement would be significant.
    Interesting..

my Micra is just sitting there, cos i dare not use the original Pill for fear that it will fail one day...i know, paranoia...but still.

I would be able to replace the optic myself...i usually take it out to clean it anyway..this would be an interesting project.....

but lets finish that ML1 first..i get way too ahead of myself...

Crenshaw

PS: C'mon guys, Milky labs seems to already be running full tilt, I imagine that there a plenty more orders out there that never make it to a post, so we dont know they exist. My ML1 turn around time was very quick

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post

PS: C'mon guys, Milky labs seems to already be running full tilt, I imagine that there a plenty more orders out there that never make it to a post, so we dont know they exist. My ML1 turn around time was very quick
    +1 to what Crenshaw says. Milky is working at 110% right now. I have no doubt he will make good on all work, long-term and short-term. I think what he needs is a part-time assistant to deal with business issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
    +1 to what Crenshaw says. Milky is working at 110% right now. I have no doubt he will make good on all work, long-term and short-term. I think what he needs is a part-time assistant to deal with business issues.
    yep, and remember, quality is top priority here, no point in half baked work that will just need to be sent back to milkylabs again right? and quality takes time

im very happy with my ML1

i would volunteer to be an assistant at milky labs! imagine being the first too see all those cool builds...

Crenshaw

Last edited by Praxis; 07-11-2008 at 07:42 AM.

Flashaholic*

I received my 2 Milky mods last week. Right now both my PC and my camera are fried. When the new PC and camera combo get here I'll post pics/review.
    Anybody on the fence about whether or not to get a Milky you have to do this. Be patience the guy is busy. Shipping takes some time. Once you get it home ,run to the darkest room in the house,shut the door and with that first click it'll all be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopleHead View Post
    nice. yeah still seems flat after 11.5 days now on "low". it goes high, low, medium on this one, so its the 2nd setting low. not miser mode, thatll be even longer...

non-scientific runtime test completed on the Hoople. when on low (just a bit brighter than the novatac 120Ps lowest setting) it lasted ~14 days and 5 hours (341 hours) before dropping out of regulation and starting to dim. still usable after that point, still could be turned on to high, but thats about where it started dropping. so over 14 days on a single 123A primary. sweet! dont think i wanna try on the miser mode...

thanks for a great light, just what i wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw
    Well... I could do better. (And yes, there are a number of orders that never make it to a post, the majority of them in fact.) I try to be at peak productivity every day but quite honestly, there are days, even stretches of days once in a while, where I feel as if I'm just fighting myself and not as productive as I could potentially be. Then again, I work most evenings and weekends as well, even holidays... heck, I built a few ML1 on Christmas Day! Would love to have an assistant but of course it would need to be somebody who lives close to me, and who has at least a basic knowledge of the flashlight world... and that kinda limits the potential field of candidates.

I will always opt for quality over quickness, as it's my belief that getting a mediocre product out quickly serves nobody's interest. All of us being flashaholics, however, the lack of immediate gratification can tend to drive us crazy... it's always been my hope that on receiving the completed light, the wait will have been worth it!

Here are a couple preview photos of the light I recently completed for SS2NV... it's a 6x Cree R2WC build in a SureFire KT4 turbohead, with estimated output of 1628 lumens...

On a different note, just updated the master runtime chart in the Project-M Thread to include some of the newer emitters...

Finally, here are the three little Milkys enjoying an evening last week at the local carnival...

--Scott

ETA:
    Last edited by ss2nv; 07-08-2008 at 02:25 PM.
    Milky M375 3xSSCP4 USWOH w/ 1x18650 Leef body and SW02 clicky,Milky X1628 KT4 head on a 2x26650 BigLeef system,P1D-Q5 w/ Leef body,Boxer 24W HID,Wolf-Eyes 6A w/ Cree H.O. drop-in,Amilite T5,Borealis (Mag85) w/ FM3H-2 head,FM 1450L 2 1/4D Mag,SL Strion,SL Ultrastinger

Quote Originally Posted by ss2nv View Post

ETA:

If you're asking about ETA, it's already in the mail so I'd look for it soon.
    --Scott

Very nice master list Milky.

If you're asking about ETA, it's already in the mail so I'd look for it soon.
    ETA = "Edited to add"
    Milky M375 3xSSCP4 USWOH w/ 1x18650 Leef body and SW02 clicky,Milky X1628 KT4 head on a 2x26650 BigLeef system,P1D-Q5 w/ Leef body,Boxer 24W HID,Wolf-Eyes 6A w/ Cree H.O. drop-in,Amilite T5,Borealis (Mag85) w/ FM3H-2 head,FM 1450L 2 1/4D Mag,SL Strion,SL Ultrastinger

3 little future flashaholics eh....or are they already?

Maybe they'll help you out when they're a little older...

thanks for all youre doing for the flasholic community Scott!

Crenshaw

Yankeefist KL4-P7-DD... 700-800 Lumens on a 17670 Cell in a SureFire L4 Host

Over the July 4th holiday weekend yankeefist posted a few photos of his build, a KL4 with Seoul P7 emitter designed for direct drive on a single 17670 cell. Just posted some comments on the build itself as well as several photos... overall output on 1x17670 rechargeable is in the 700-800 lumens ballpark, and the light can work with dual stage tailswitches...

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit
    Yankeefist approached me looking to turn his KL4 into the brightest pocket rocket I could come up with...

(snip)

The complete thread including all the info is over here.
    --Scott

Received the x1628 head in the mail today. Very impressed with the build quality. Here's a few shots of it on my BigLeef system:

In a mostly dark room. It lit it up pretty well, I'd say.

Once again, thanks goes out to Scott for his efforts and no hard feelings about the timeline.

Flashaholic*

Wow what a great looking light!! Isn't that what the queen of england uses to knight someone?
    my typin is bad and my speeling is evenworse...

you have a mouse on your couch!

that hotspot is enormous

Beautiful light... What are its stats?

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheepvictor View Post
    Beautiful light... What are its stats?

Here are some of the stats as listed on the label...

6x Cree RCWC with McR17xr reflectors... 1628 lumens on 6-10 volts input (optimized for a pair of Emoli or A123Systems 26650 cells)... suggested runs of 5 minutes at a time, with some cooldown time between runs (can run for longer than that, but the light was designed for maximum-output in lieu of continuous runs, and heat does eventually build up, hence the suggestion)... overall runtime on 2x26650 Emoli is likely to be 45 minutes or so.
    --Scott

Thumbs up Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Hey Milky, long time no talk to.

I just received a U2by2 from Thom. I just had to drop a line in this thread and compliment you on this build. It is very well put together cleanly!

All the emitters are centered and the foam around the bezel is perfect, I am truly in love with this mod. I have always liked the U2, I have been wanting another ever since I gave mine to my brother for X-mas 2 years ago. So now not only do I finally have another U2, I have a badass U2!

I imagine it will compliment my PSM Chrominator Destroyer nicely.

One quick question though. Do you think its safe to take snorkeling? I wouldnt go much deeper than 15 feet.
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Quote Originally Posted by PoliceScannerMan View Post
    Hey Milky, long time no talk to.

I just received a U2by2 from Thom. I just had to drop a line in this thread and compliment you on this build. It is very well put together cleanly!

All the emitters are centered and the foam around the bezel is perfect, I am truly in love with this mod. I have always liked the U2, I have been wanting another ever since I gave mine to my brother for X-mas 2 years ago. So now not only do I finally have another U2, I have a badass U2!

I imagine it will compliment my PSM Chrominator Destroyer nicely.

One quick question though. Do you think its safe to take snorkeling? I wouldnt go much deeper than 15 feet.
    Hey PSM, it HAS been a while!

I'm glad you like your U2by2.

As for snorkeling, you need to understand that I'm typically conservative in what I'll ever claim my builds can do... and while everything I build is designed to weather even a severe storm like hurricane-driven rain and wind, for example, I've never specifically designed these lights for dive use, so I'm not comfortable saying it would be okay.

What I can tell you is this: IF you want to give snorkeling a try, you'll first want to make sure the o-rings on body and tail are giving the light a good seal. Assuming that's taken care of, the most likely point of water entry will be around the lens itself... the stock rubber gasket is in place behind the lens, and as the lens gets pushed inward by water pressure, the seal should improve... BUT it's possible the reflectors underneath will hold the lens out just a little, preventing a truly diveworthy seal and allowing pressurized water to squeeze around the gasket. Worse yet would be if the inward pressure from the water put too much mechanical stress on the reflectors themselves, which could cause the reflectors in turn to press on the emitters to the point that one or more emitters fail. There is both high density foam matting and 3M VHB adhesive cushioning the emitters, but those measures can only do so much... at some point, too much inward pressure COULD make something fail.

Does that mean the light WILL fail underwater? The truth is, I don't know. This one's going to have to be a judgment call on your part. Wish I could give you a more definitive answer than maybe, but I cannot guarantee it will work, nor can I guarantee it won't.

Anyway, I hope you'll put the light to good use even if it doesn't make its way underwater with you! And I can build you something more truly diveworthy if I set out on the project having that as our goal... give me a call and/or send PM if you want to explore our options.

Thanks again for the compliments!
    --Scott

Thaks Milky. I have plenty of other lights I can take, thats why I asked first!

The whole water pressure thing makes sense. I wouldnt wanna risk this baby, I do however have 100% confidence in this being storm proof.

The emmiters are on foam? How is the heatsinking conducted? Maybe I just read the post wrong.

Thanks Again Scott! Maybe see ya @ SHOT?
    -Gene Malkoff

Quote:
    Originally Posted by coloradogps
    5. Surefire Backup KX2 “CREEmator”...$305...$300...$295....$290
    Details:
    - HA-BK CreeXRE Focusable TIR
    - AcornHC 1.0 ('Bailey' Firmware) 4 modes + Miser Mode
    - E1B Body and E2D Guarded Tailswitch

#5 light is similar to the 1.3 Amp Creemators I'd sold in a sprint run a few weeks ago, except this one has max output of 1 Amp rather than 1.3 Amps. That means max output will be around 255 lumens instead of 303 lumens, but also that runtime will be at least 30% longer. The output difference as the human eye perceives it will be only 7% or so. IMHO this one is well suited for single-cell use given the longer runtime, reduced demands on the small RCR123 rechargeable, and not-that-significant decrease in brightness. HOWEVER, I wouldn't mind grabbing a spare guarded tailswitch... so if the buyer wishes to trade me that for a standard E1B clicky tail, I'll upgrade this light to 1.3 Amps free of charge. Not sure if that helps anyone, but let me know if you're interested.

Milky, PM incoming shortly regarding your offer copied above... I hope this still stands. Though I'm looking for something a little different in terms of programming, I hope you still want the guarded tailswitch in exchange for at least a partial upgrade. Also looking for two more MC2 with regulated Nichia GS & Kingbright orange LEDs.

I also just want to say that your unsolicited, but detailed and down-to-earth descriptions in the above thread convinced me to buy two of your builds from coloradogps. Hearty thanks.

Gotta love it. This thing wowed the hell out of me last night!

Ti PD-S on left, U2by2 on right, both on high.
    -Gene Malkoff

WOW! That is really sweet! Does the selector ring still work to adjust the output on the U2by2?
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
    WOW! That is really sweet! Does the selector ring still work to adjust the output on the U2by2?
    Yep, the driver and ring stay stock, so the runtimes are the same.

Everyone needs one of these.
    -Gene Malkoff

Very nice U2by2! I can't wait 'til I get mine back from Milky!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891013 ... LastLast