The Fenix-Store
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Scott do you still have KL3 1st Gen heads avaliable ???

Quote Originally Posted by tx101 View Post
    Scott do you still have KL3 1st Gen heads avaliable ???

Yes, I do.
    --Scott

hey Scott, any updates for me?...

Crenshaw

Thanks for the info Scott.
    At my work we used to have a sign that said...

"The satisfaction of meeting a delivery date is overshadowed by a poor quality product"

I had to paraphrase, I don't remember the exact wording. I would much rather wait a little longer for the quality you ship out.

For any potential customers who haven't read the Milky mods thread where Scott tells the story about working for the lady down the street when he was a kid, please read it. It will give you a good idea of his mindset when it comes to builds.

Thanks again for doing these awsome mods for all of us here
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by 1wrx7 View Post
    Thanks for the info Scott.
    At my work we used to have a sign that said...

"The satisfaction of meeting a delivery date is overshadowed by a poor quality product"

I had to paraphrase, I don't remember the exact wording. I would much rather wait a little longer for the quality you ship out.

For any potential customers who haven't read the Milky mods thread where Scott tells the story about working for the lady down the street when he was a kid, please read it. It will give you a good idea of his mindset when it comes to builds.

Thanks again for doing these awsome mods for all of us here
    Keith

Keith, you really did some digging! You know, my mom still teases me about the "we don't need an engineer on the job" part.

Here's the meat-and-potatoes of that post... it's from the thread over here...

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Once upon a time there was an old lady who had a lot of cats and lived alone in her unobtrusive little country cottage. Seriously. In those days I used to revel in snow days, not so much for not having to go to school, but because they represented a financial windfall! In a good morning's work I could earn $20 shoveling snow at three of the neighbors' homes... and my biggest customer was Mrs. Allmansberger, the elderly cat lady.

I can read your mind, kind reader! "So what the heck does Milky's crazy cat lady have to do with high end lights?" Please, pull up a comfy chair and let me tell you, dear friend.

My father was cut from old-school cloth... "there's a right way and a wrong way to EVERYTHING, son..." even shoveling snow. I won't bore you with details but suffice to say, I was out there laboring hard, doing quite the professional job of hand shoveling (which to this day I'll defend as totally superior to any plowed or snowblown work! although also far more laborious of course) as my father had so expertly taught me... and out came Mrs. Allmansberger, clad in her signature weatherbeaten coat and black rubbers (when "rubbers" most commonly referred to footwear for inclement weather, and NOT anything sexual)... this itself was unusual as typically my sole interaction with the woman was when she reached out her split-level window to reach down with my payment... she watched for a time, then made this infamous statement: "We don't need an engineer on the job."

I later graduated from Princeton University with an engineering degree.

"So what does this have to do with FLASHLIGHTS! Show me the beef!" you say. Please, read on!

I've long been overshadowed even at PhotonFest, my own event for goodness sake! because the lights I design tend to be ENGINEERED and don't impress... my personal definition of engineering is the study and application of compromises to achieve the most desirable whole. So my lights aren't brightest, nor largest, nor smallest, nor the strangest colors, nor capable of igniting one's hair... no mine are only reasonably compact lights with good output and decently long runtime, the sort I personally prefer for a good walk through the woods or down to the quarry behind my house. The PhotonFest attendees, God bless them, are very polite... they take the requisite time thoughtfully examining my creations... then move on to the Thors, crazy supercharged HIDs, teeny Larry-inspired lights, big 22x18650 bird cooker headlight-on-a-stick mods (seriously, this exists!), and many, many more. And those lights are impressive, they're fun to play around with! I love seeing all the great stuff folks bring around. Sadly, my small milky fleet gets left far behind.

Now given all the above, which hopefully was at least mildly entertaining...

Project-M is a family of engineered lights.

(snip)
    Read the full post in its original context over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    hey Scott, any updates for me?...

Crenshaw

Crenshaw,

--Scott

Crenshaw,

yummy ........
    i know photos are subjective, but i like the look of that tint..:

hope this means its almost ready...

Crenshaw

Received my creemator R2WC in the mail today.

I'm very impressed with the build quality and the output.

Thanks a lot for your great mods.
    Laurent

Quote Originally Posted by Tapete View Post
    Received my creemator R2WC in the mail today.

I'm very impressed with the build quality and the output.

Thanks a lot for your great mods.
    Laurent

Thank you Laurent! I'm glad you received your light safely.
    --Scott

g'day Scott, just to confirm i would love the Optimator on 2 Cell Dual Stage Body, if u could supply the entire flashy from scratch would probably be the best way to go, just let me know costs and i will paypal u what u need. cheers, steve

this is one of the sexiest things you can see on a milky

Milky -

in an epiphany last night i figured out what id like to do for my next project with you. will be somewhat unique i think! email coming today or this weekend, be on the lookout! (update: email sent!)

hint: Milky Candle "XXX"
    Last edited by HoopleHead; 07-25-2008 at 11:54 AM.

A candle you shouldn't use when children are around?

Quote Originally Posted by HoopleHead View Post
    Milky -

hint: Milky Candle "XXX"

C'mon, Scott, please reply to my email!

Is it possible to buy one of these Acorn drivers by itself? How much?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cryhavok View Post
    Is it possible to buy one of these Acorn drivers by itself? How much?

Thanks

Cryhavok, unfortunately I'm not geared to sell and support the drivers by themselves, nor do I have enough on hand to do that... at present I only have enough for my own needs. It's something I've been considering, though, and I won't rule out selling them at some point down the road.
    --Scott

Perhaps I've missed this somewhere in this thread, but is there a "best" way to get in touch with milky? I sent a PM, but I imagine he gets quite a few of those.

Quote Originally Posted by mejesster View Post
    Perhaps I've missed this somewhere in this thread, but is there a "best" way to get in touch with milky? I sent a PM, but I imagine he gets quite a few of those.
    Mejesster, I happened to be updating this thread when you posted. I have your PM, and at the time apparently didn't get a reply sent to you. In general if the PM was accepted (PM inbox was not full), I will eventually get back to you... I rarely delete PM until I've had a chance to digest the contents and reply as appropriate. Will get you a reply later today, God and family willing!

In addition, you can always send PM to me on MP, and/or email to...

--Scott

Comparing The Brightness Of Two Lights

Someone in a third-party sales thread posted a question on brightness that got me thinking about how one can go about getting a sense of the relative brightness between two lights. Here are some thoughts, some of which are excerpted from my post in the other thread, with additional thoughts gathered here...

First, when comparing two LED flashlights, the difference in tint between the two beams could make one light look brighter than it really is and/or make the other look less bright than it really is.

Also, if one beam is more focused than the other it would tend to look "brighter." For that reason, the best comparison of overall output between two lights (assuming you don't have an in-house integrating sphere and appropriate training in its proper use, that is) is to perform an A-B ceiling bounce test... go into a dark room, hold both lights over your head, both pointed at the same spot on your ceiling... do NOT look directly at the beams, but rather focus your eyes on a piece of furniture, one of the walls, something on the floor... anything that will prevent you from seeing the beams directly. Now alternate turning on flashlight A, then flashlight B, then A, then B, ...back and forth as many times as needed to get a good sense of the relative brightness of each. Remember that LED tint can affect the way the human eye perceives brightness, so try to take that out of the equation as much as you can via conscious thought. With a little practice the ceiling bounce test does surprisingly well at giving a good brightness comparison between lights.

Ambient lighting that's a particular tint could make one light look more or less bright than it really is, too, as similar-tinted ambient lighting would tend to "gobble up" some of the light's output, basically disguise it, whereas a greater contrast between ambient and flashlight tint would tend to make that one stand out, appearing brighter.

It's also possible (though I'm not sure how likely) that a person's eyes could make a particular tint look even dimmer than normal due to some sort of color blindness or other tint-specific deficiency in the eyes themselves. It's not the first thing I'd assume, but I suppose it could be a factor for some of us.

It's important in all this to think about the human eye's response to brightness... for example, a light that measures at twice the lumens of overall output will look only a little brighter to the eye. Mathematically, it takes MORE THAN FIVE TIMES THE LUMENS (556%) to make a light source look twice as bright to the human eye. That's one of the underpinnings of the Project-M lights, which embrace a more balanced design approach.
    --Scott

Thanks Scott for the Tip!

Comparing The Brightness Of Two Lights

Someone in a third-party sales thread posted a question on brightness that got me thinking about how one can go about getting a sense of the relative brightness between two lights. Here are some thoughts, some of which are excerpted from my post in the other thread, with additional thoughts gathered here...

First, when comparing two LED flashlights, the difference in tint between the two beams could make one light look brighter than it really is and/or make the other look less bright than it really is.

Also, if one beam is more focused than the other it would tend to look "brighter." For that reason, the best comparison of overall output between two lights (assuming you don't have an in-house integrating sphere and appropriate training in its proper use, that is) is to perform an A-B ceiling bounce test... go into a dark room, hold both lights over your head, both pointed at the same spot on your ceiling... do NOT look directly at the beams, but rather focus your eyes on a piece of furniture, one of the walls, something on the floor... anything that will prevent you from seeing the beams directly. Now alternate turning on flashlight A, then flashlight B, then A, then B, ...back and forth as many times as needed to get a good sense of the relative brightness of each. Remember that LED tint can affect the way the human eye perceives brightness, so try to take that out of the equation as much as you can via conscious thought. With a little practice the ceiling bounce test does surprisingly well at giving a good brightness comparison between lights.

Ambient lighting that's a particular tint could make one light look more or less bright than it really is, too, as similar-tinted ambient lighting would tend to "gobble up" some of the light's output, basically disguise it, whereas a greater contrast between ambient and flashlight tint would tend to make that one stand out, appearing brighter.

It's also possible (though I'm not sure how likely) that a person's eyes could make a particular tint look even dimmer than normal due to some sort of color blindness or other tint-specific deficiency in the eyes themselves. It's not the first thing I'd assume, but I suppose it could be a factor for some of us.

It's important in all this to think about the human eye's response to brightness... for example, a light that measures at twice the lumens of overall output will look only a little brighter to the eye. Mathematically, it takes MORE THAN FIVE TIMES THE LUMENS (556%) to make a light source look twice as bright to the human eye. That's one of the underpinnings of the Project-M lights, which embrace a more balanced design approach.
    Sometimes, when I'm feeling down because nothing seems to be going right, I like to take a home pregnancy test. Then I can say, "Hey, at least I'm not pregnant

Hello Milky

I'm ready to buy a Creemator. However, should I wait for your next sprint run or just order it now?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheepvictor View Post
    Hello Milky

I'm ready to buy a Creemator. However, should I wait for your next sprint run or just order it now?

Thanks

Blacksheepvictor, the simplest thing is just placing your order right now. That does two good things... first, your order will be underway regardless of when I may or may not post the next sprint run, and whether you catch that run or not... lower stress IMHO... and second, you'll be sure to get exactly what you want instead of settling for whatever happens to be available in the sprint run itself.

Then again, it's late as I write this and maybe I'm already half-asleep, and not thinking straight!
    --Scott

Sounds good to me. I sent you a PM about a week ago regarding the same thing. I'll send it again.

Chris Andrews' M458.4-M3 Hybrid

Fellow CPFer Chris Andrews commissioned a light reminiscent of the C2 desTROYer... he hasn't seen his light yet up close and personal, so wanted to post a couple profile shots to whet his appetite. The light consists of parts from Leef, RPM, and of course, SureFire. IMHO it's a nice looking piece. Enjoy, folks!

--Scott

Flashaholic*

I've had these little guys for awhile now. One is an E1L Cree TIR Optic MM+. The other is A KL1 SSCP4 USWOH with OpticMM+. Both run on AW's. In terms of lumens,HELLA BRIGHT! The KL1 rides with an Aleph 123 tube and McTC. It's my favorite special light and both are worth every cent.
    my typin is bad and my speeling is evenworse...

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by houtex View Post
    I've had these little guys for awhile now. One is an E1L Cree TIR Optic MM+. The other is A KL1 SSCP4 USWOH with OpticMM+. Both run on AW's. In terms of lumens,HELLA BRIGHT! The KL1 rides with an Aleph 123 tube and McTC. It's my favorite special light and both are worth every cent.

Pictures...................

That Kl1 riding on the Aleph sounds awesome...!!

EDit: forgot that my work comp. is restricted on showing pics...!
    Sorry...

These look awesome..!

Very nice work!
    Last edited by lumafist; 08-08-2008 at 01:40 AM.

Blacksheepvictor, the simplest thing is just placing your order right now. That does two good things... first, your order will be underway regardless of when I may or may not post the next sprint run, and whether you catch that run or not... lower stress IMHO... and second, you'll be sure to get exactly what you want instead of settling for whatever happens to be available in the sprint run itself.

Then again, it's late as I write this and maybe I'm already half-asleep, and not thinking straight!
    how do i get on the list to order? i can paypal immediately. would love a creemator... i want to blind my friends. augi_yi@yahoo.com - i emailed you the other night too.

Enlightened

PM sent

Naughty KT4 X848.4 - 8x Seoul

I think it's time for a few new pics:

Greetings
    Dirk

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111215 ... LastLast