• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]This is Part 3 of the Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy thread. Part 1 is over here and Part 2 is over here.[/size]

img-x689.4-t2-embedded.jpg

img-x689.4-t2-midst.jpg

img-gotham-010-sm-gotham6.jpg

img-x622.4-kl2-mce-angled.jpg

Quote from first post in original thread:

The Reason.

Recently I've gotten some inquiries about what sorts of mods I do... and it's difficult to answer because the range is pretty broad! I'm hoping this thread will serve a little bit as a notebook of sorts, logging some new builds and ideas, showing some of the more interesting photos, and generally letting folks get a taste of my work.

Some Introductory Photos!

Here is a small collection of some of the more interesting things I've built, along with annotations... I'll keep the descriptions very terse for now but welcome inquiries. BTW, if you want ANYTHING built, give me a shout! As good friend Knight Lights is fond of saying, anything is possible... the impossible just takes longer! ;)

On to the show! Hee hee. :p

Project-M Runtimes
img-m-runtimes.gif

M180-Mag 2C Closeup
img-m180-ice-flare-closeup.jpg

3 Versions of the M180
img-m180-family-leefdapter.jpg

Kiessling's M180 "Jewelbox"
img-m180-kl2-kiessling-outdoor-closeup.jpg

M180-KL2 Runtimes by Cell Type

M180-KL2 Performance vs. Above Average SureFire L6
img-m180-kl2-leef-runtime-vs-lbu-complete-w-l6-linear.jpg

KL3 TIROS Optic Replaced with McR38cut Reflector
img-kl3-new-mcr38cut-profile.jpg

Milky L1
img-cpf-ml1-head-up-left-back.jpg

Optimator on 2 Cell Dual Stage Body
img-cpf-optimator-l1.jpg

Optimator on 3 Cell Dual Stage Body
img-cpf-optimator-l2.jpg

Optimator (a.k.a. Longinus) on Single Stage C3 Body
img-cpf-optimator-c3-fun.gif

M180-KL2 Crenelated Bezel... A Rarity!
img-m180-kl2-leef-standup.jpg

Mini-e Collaboration with Wasabe64
image-cpf-minie-ruggedized-profile-lit-closeup.jpg

PK L6 Porcupine Converted to X300-KL6
img-m180-porcupine-profile.jpg

img-m180-porcupine-closeup.jpg

M360 "Silver Guardian YS" Two-Tiered Reflector Array
img-m360-silver-guardian2-into-head.jpg

M420-KT4 Bezel Closeup
img-m420-kt4-bezel-trans.gif

M90-M1 Illuminator (LuxV WXOS, runtime 90m on 1x123 Primary)
img-m90-m1-benighted-head.jpg

img-m90-m1-benighted-head-closeup.jpg

img-m90-m1-benighted-beam-profile.jpg

img-m90-m1-benighted-beam-hotspot.jpg

L2 Shorty! Soul of the L2 Transplanted Into an L1 Body
img-milky-l2-shorty-standing.jpg

Milky Redbird Dorcy 1AAA Mod
img-cpf-redbird-upright.jpg

MSaxatilus' Makita Work Light LED Conversion
img-msax-makita-off.jpg

Prototype Project-M Body (Mockup)
img-projm-1x18650-design.jpg

X700-M6 In Action
img-x700-m6-garage.jpg

X700-M6 vs. Some Well-Known Friends
img-x700-m6-outdoor-beam-composite.jpg

Milky Candle v1 (current version is MC2, digitally controlled)
image-cpf-mc1-on-with-clock-small.jpg

Milky Candle "Shorty" Edition
img-cpf-mc-shorty-cistern.jpg

3 Different Fenix Mods
img-3fenix-beamshots.jpg

Pimped-Out Q3 (PQ3)
image-cpf-pimped-out-qiii.jpg

Arc-Aleph Hybrid Dual Stage EDC
img-arcls-1w-sxoh-585ma-mcr18-profile.jpg

Milkbone 2AA/1AA/1x123
image-cpf-milkbone-2aa-off-angle.jpg

KrollGard for Arc LS Tail
image-cpf-krollgard-bquinlan-tail.jpg

Classic Single-Lux Mag Mod
image-cpf-homemade-snii-1.jpg

Last but not least...

Milky Labs in full production mode!
img-pf6-milky-house-with-logo.jpg
img-pf6-milky-house-with-logo.jpg

:)

-=-=-=-=-=-

Unforgiven, thanks for the continuation! Hope I didn't cause you any grief in posting the new thread.

If I can help a bit by posting the continuation thread myself next time one of mine is in such a position, please let me know, I'd be glad to handle that if it might make your work a bit easier. You guys do a lot to keep CPF a nice place for all to visit! :bow:

Thanks again, much appreciated.

-=-=-=-=-=-

[size=+2]How To Contact Milkyspit![/size]

In general, a PM on CPF is a good way to reach me, though there are occasions when this won't work... perhaps PM Inbox is full, perhaps CPF is having a hiccup...

If you can't get a PM sent on CPF, you might want to send one to me on CPF Marketplace. I monitor both.

Or you could send me an email... I suggest you put the word 'CPF' somewhere in the subject line to make it easier for me to separate your email from all the spam...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

Regarding phone calls: I don't provide my phone number publicly but if you're unable to reach me by the above means, you might want to get my phone number from a fellow CPFer, there are several who know how to reach me. Or have them call me, give them a way I can get back to you (phone number and/or email address), and I'll get in touch as soon as I can. Sometimes a call is the best approach, though in many cases I would encourage you to try PM and/or email first.

If all else fails, post in this thread that you're trying to reach me. No need for details posted here, but at least I'll know I need to reach out to you!

Note: I do use Skype, which is potentially a useful way of doing a text chat... and I can call from Skype on my computer to a phone number pretty much anywhere in the world, so providing me with YOUR phone number would enable me to call YOU. Again, the above means of contact are probably preferable, but if it comes to it, this might be yet another way!

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited:

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
a reminder cliffnote: as awesome as Milky is, hes human, and is one man, serving hundreds. good things come to those who wait, as patience is a virtue. but in the end, milkyness is next to godliness!

speaking of... heres my new "Hoople" Head :naughty: that milky custom built to my specs. my goal was to get awesome runtimes on a 123 primary, not concerned with the brightness as im fine in low light conditions. 46 lumens for 10 hours aint too shabby for such a small package. not to mention the extra heatsinking so theres virtually no heat buildup. still has the Miser Mode, so ill have insane runtimes on the ultra lows. tacticool setup - max, ultra low, then medium (~30% max). on my fave 123 body, another Vital Gear. awesome light, exactly what i wanted, itching to put it to the test soon! always a pleasure working with milky too.

Tale of the Milky Tape:
Hoople
SSCP4 USVOH L2head UCL
AcornHC 138 'C-Corndogg' Firmware
Max 46Lm 10h / Med 14Lm 34h / ULow
Optimized for 1x123 Primary Cell

hhmilkyhoople01jc1.jpg

hhmilkyhoople02yr5.jpg

hhmilkyhoople03tb0.jpg

this is one of the sexiest things you can see on a milky :naughty:

:twothumbs

Last edited:

StrayLight

Enlightened
Tale of the Milky Tape:
Hoople
SSCP4 USVOH L2head UCL

Alright, B, how much extra to have both the light and the firmware named after you?

Sweet torch.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, B, how much extra to have both the light and the firmware named after you?

Sweet torch.

I have my own firmware version too. Ask milkyspit for the "ttran97" firmware. That's useful for the big lights. 100% brightness and 50% brightness. For the small lights, I like to go with the "Carey" firmware...full brightness and 5 lumen for low.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rouhgly how much is it to have a totally customised small light? i just got an ML1, and already want more...

Crenshaw

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rouhgly how much is it to have a totally customised small light? i just got an ML1, and already want more...

Crenshaw

The hot build right now seems to be the Creemator and Creemator Noir. They're essentially the same light, except the Noir is built into an E1B head instead of a KX2 head. Both use the E1B body or similar 1-cell body. I think milkyspit's getting them up to 303 lumen on high now. Amazing pocket throwers!

I don't like to discuss pricing since that's milkyspit's business...but I would say it wouldn't be much more than your ML1 mod. :)

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]X865.4: To Donn With Blood, Sweat, And Tears![/size]

Not certified for Ahab duty... see why in the thread posted over here.

A little quick eye candy...

img-x865.4-kl2-profile.jpg

img-x865.4-kl2-lit.jpg

BTW, spoke with Donn at length yesterday after hearing his phone message. Thanks for the usual good conversation, Donn, keep those contractors on the straight and narrow this week!

[size=+1]In Other Matters (or, Family Is Important! Refresher for One Milky Idiot)[/size]

In other matters, attempted to regain some semblance of work and family life balance by spending the weekend taking the kids on a road trip, visiting with friends, attending a church activity (Coffee House... I read some original poetry!), running errands and such. Dodged the need to replace a toilet handle but am sure my wife will snag me for this task sometime in the next couple days. Regardless, was one of the first weekends in recent memory in which I wasn't chained to the Milky Labs! Very, VERY nice. :eek:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The hot build right now seems to be the Creemator and Creemator Noir. They're essentially the same light, except the Noir is built into an E1B head instead of a KX2 head. Both use the E1B body or similar 1-cell body. I think milkyspit's getting them up to 303 lumen on high now. Amazing pocket throwers!

I don't like to discuss pricing since that's milkyspit's business...but I would say it wouldn't be much more than your ML1 mod. :)

thats interesting, also considering that a KX2 head would fit on an L1 body right? i really realy like the switching on the L1. Maybe I could get something along the lines of the creemator driver in the L1 body, and a nicely tinted Cree in a KX1 head. THat way i wouldnt need a second mode, it already being inherent in the switching.

actually, i agree on the pricing thing, best to let milky handle it..:)

Crenshaw

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats interesting, also considering that a KX2 head would fit on an L1 body right? i really realy like the switching on the L1. Maybe I could get something along the lines of the creemator driver in the L1 body, and a nicely tinted Cree in a KX1 head. THat way i wouldnt need a second mode, it already being inherent in the switching.

actually, i agree on the pricing thing, best to let milky handle it..:)

Crenshaw

As I explained in the other ML1 thread, the L1 has the circuitry in the body. The KX2 and E1B heads have circuitry in the heads. You can't combine two circuits like that. yes, the threading might allow the KX2 or L1 heads to physically fit, but it wouldn't work and you'll probably have the two circuits grind against each other.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, guys, there is a way I could combine the concepts of the ML1 and Creemator into a single light... something I've wanted the excuse to try for quite a while! I envision boring out an L1 Cree body so it could serve as a 17500 cell tube, thereby nearly doubling the cell capacity in the light (a typical RCR123 tests at 600mAh while 17500 is 1100mAh, if memory serves)... placing a KX2 or similar head on the light with all the usual Creemator amenities built in... then customizing the firmware so it operates as single brightness but still retains Miser Mode capabilities... and calibraring the tailswitch to provide the expected high and low beams at any time.

Crenshaw, wanna step up to the plate? :naughty:

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Youve got mail Scott regarding infos for some projects.
Please add info's when youre gonna reply about the HDS P7 mod.
(Output, pricing)
Regards
Apostolis

shawn a.

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
My name is Shawn and I live in Boulder Creek, California.
I sent you a U-2 last December with payment and a small gift.
Haven't heard from you.
Have I fallen through the cracks?
Shawn

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crenshaw, wanna step up to the plate? :naughty:

PM sent..over at MP though, your box here is full. I might just be forgoing alot of small lights in favour of more ML1s....i have an idea.....:sssh:

Consider me very interested in a Milky L1 Creemator too! send me details in above mentioned pm? thanks :D

one thing though, this paycheck will be my last before i go back to school...so some more ML1s/ML1 parts may be all my major puchases for awhile...:(:duh2::eek:

:thinking:

@ttran, hmmm, is it theoratically then, possible to have a "dud" L1 body to use with KX2 heads?

Crenshaw

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello,
My name is Shawn and I live in Boulder Creek, California.
I sent you a U-2 last December with payment and a small gift.
Haven't heard from you.
Have I fallen through the cracks?
Shawn

Shawn, nope, you haven't, although I didn't know your CPF name, glad to have the connection. I've got 8 completed U2by2 going out in the next few days and another batch going out once the assembled heatsinks come back late next week from 48 hour burn-in testing. As mentioned elsewhere, the whole U2 upgrade process has taken vastly longer than I ever could have guessed to get right, none of which excuses anything! I believe I have been in touch with you via email in the interim, though it's possible the mail didn't reach you? :thinking:

Anyway, I appreciate the reminder.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
PM sent..over at MP though, your box here is full. I might just be forgoing alot of small lights in favour of more ML1s....i have an idea.....:sssh:

Consider me very interested in a Milky L1 Creemator too! send me details in above mentioned pm? thanks :D

Crenshaw, PM replied over at MP. Since notifications there are spotty at best at present, and because the answer might be of some general interest, I'll post it here as well.

"I just tried a quick test using a Creemator head driven at 1.3A with focusable TIR optic, and found I went just a little over 10,000 lux... so yes, it's certainly possible. :naughty:

Now imagine what happens if we toss an R2 into the mix (it would be tint WC, not sure if that's too cool for you or not) and perhaps push drive current all the way up to 1.5 Amps, using an L1 body in bored-out form with a single rechargeable or pair of primaries depending on specifics... and yes, it's easy to imagine a real sleeper of an uber-long throw pocket light.

Strictly speaking, this would be a Creemator built around an L1 body and tailswitch, which also means the head would be usable on other bodies if you were inclined to do so. IMHO it could be pretty nice!"

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Milky Family!

Milky Arc-Aleph Hybrid Dual Stage EDC

Tale of the Milky Tape:
SSCP4 USWOH McR16ms 585mA MG

Other info:
- Aleph1x123cut HA-NAT
- McClicky DualStageTwist/Click

Milky info: = "#4 was my EDC for 6 months or so a while back and was built along the lines of what I wish in my "ultimate walking light," itself a quest that probably has no end! That said, there are some subtleties in this one put there for that purpose. The beam has a combination of throw and spill reminiscent of the Milky L1 builds. The switch is twist for on/off and click for high/low, allowing the user to preselect high or low beam even when the light is off... plus being twist for on/off makes the light far less prone to turning itself on when carried in a bag or pocket. The rubber ring around the head is present so one can hold the light in the palm, keeping the tailswitch still with one's pinky, and twisting the head end between thumb and index finger to turn on or off... I find this by far the more comfortable way to grip the light. The tailswitch, of course, allows the light to tailstand for hands-free use. The lanyard loop on the tail is made from a segment of paracord with the ends melted into hard plastic stop points, so the loop cannot be fall off but also doesn't impede switch activation. This is another case of a light I like that wasn't seeing the use it deserved around here."

Milky Hoople

Tale of the Milky Tape:
Hoople
SSCP4 USVOH L2head UCL

Other info:
- L2 head on a Vital Gear body
- Optimized for a primary 123, long runtimes, beefed up heatsink, Miser Mode. Tacticool mode - max, ultra low, then medium (~30% max).

Boxter Special Reserve

Tale of the Milky Tape:
Boxter Special Reserve
Max Medium Low Candle / Momentary vs. Tactical / Normal vs. Miser
Works with 1x Rechargeable or 2x Primary Cells
SSCP4 US2WOI AcornHC 867 ('Bailey' Firmware)

Milky info: "Boxter Special Reserve built into an L2 head with the latest Seoul U2S emitter (bin code U2SWOI), most likely 250+ lumens at max output, mounted on an Aleph HA-NAT 1x123 body with a discontinued SureFire E-series twisty tailcap converted to clicky using McClicky guts, a compact, elegant setup

All these lights have AcornHC drivers and provide 4 levels brightness... PLUS when you engage the new Miser Mode on them, you've got four more levels... All the lights run on 2x123 primaries OR on one rechargeable of any size.

The Boxter SR (Special Reserve) is built from a set of unique and/or discontinued parts and incorporates the latest and greatest Seoul SSC LED. As shown it's a nice, compact size for pocket carry and the tailcap has lockout capability.

Boxter had four brightness levels and works well on 2x123... it also works on 1x123 but not at full power, still plenty bright to be useful though, with long runtimes. It ALSO works on 1xRCR123 (or any size rechargeable for that matter) at full power.

Not to be over looked, these are the first-ever lights I'm releasing with my new version of the Acorn firmware. This new version adds what I call "Miser Mode," essentially the ability to turn your light into a lower-power "Miser" version and back in a few seconds, with an easy keystroke sequence. Miser Mode works identically to normal mode... you've got all four levels, memory vs. tactical capability, etc., just that the levels get scaled back so the human eye sees them as roughly 50% their normal brightness... and in so doing, runtimes increase by a factor of 5 or 6... 40 minutes turns into nearly four hours, for example!"

Milky Candle (MC2), Special Batch With Nichia GS

Tale of the Milky Tape:
Milky Candle Rev2
Nichia NSPW500GS-K1 White 5mm LED
LSDiodes Amber 5mm LED

Milky info: "Folks have been asking about my Milky Candles (a.k.a. MC2) for a while, whether I had any more, when I would build some more, etc. I've finally got enough parts on hand to help on that front, and right now have six units... yes, ONLY SIX... that incorporate hand-chosen Nichia GS white LEDs of Rank W (brightest available) and tint C0 (neutral to slightly warm, virtually none of the usual blue/purple in the beam)... testing by fellow CPFer JTR1962 shows these LEDs to be by far the brightest, most efficient 5mm LEDs yet seen.

In addition to the above, I've taken individual measurements of the operating parameters for each LED in these six units and am loading customized firmware on them, specifically tweaked to drive the LEDs to their full capabilities: this means longer runtimes at each level before the units failover to amber, and MIGHT also mean these will be the first Milky Candles capable of running the white LED in regulation on a single PRIMARY 123 cell.

Folks, I've been slowly gathering the necessary bits to build a handful more Milky Candles, and as of this moment I've got exactly SIX built, available to all, first to grab them, gets them! These six are particularly special in that I've mounted some handpicked Nichia GS LEDs (rank W, color bin C0)... these are easily the brightest and most efficient 5mm LEDs released to date. Another special aspect of this half-dozen units: I individually tested the voltage requirements of each LED in each unit and am recalibrating the firmware specifically to this batch's operational characteristics... what that means in real-world terms is longer runtimes before the units drop out of regulation and POSSIBLY (no guarantees, but hopeful) these might be the first and to date, only MC2 ever made capable of operating the white LED on a SINGLE 123 primary cell... all previous units would only operate in white when running with TWO 123 cells. Many LEDs lost their lives to give us this feature... well no, not really, but I did reject a fair number of LEDs that didn't make the grade for this little build... only the best made the cut... and since I don't have any more Nichia GS for these units at present, the 6 on hand are the ONLY ones for now with Nichia GS."

Milky P7 Optimator, on SureFire Z2 in black

Tale of the Milky Tape:
Optimator
KL3gen1 SSCP7 CSWOI Mc R27 cut MG AcornDx 1.5 ('Amity' Fw)
424 Lumens Max ... Runs on 1x Li-Ion or 2x 123 Primaries

Donn (seller) info: "This one is a primo KL3-BK in 99% condition. It's been Milkified with a Seoul Semiconductor P7 CSWOI , an McR27 reflector, trimmed to fit the immense emitter and the KL3, and driven at 4 levels of output by the Acorn driver, 'Amity' version, with ultra-low, low, medium and high (424 lumens). Takes 1x Li-Ion or 2x primaries. The beam from this head is awesome! A broad and well-defined hotspot, surrounded by ample sidespill. The 4-level output of the Acorn driver is extremely useful. As shown, mounted on a mint Z2 Combatlight body with tail-standing Leef clicky"

Last edited:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Danged Browser... Lost Some PMs, Please Resend![/size]

Got some bad news, folks. Earlier today my browser crashed with several half-written replies to PMs loaded in it... when I restarted the browser, the contents of those replies were lost... and since I'd already deleted the original PMs themselves to make some room in my inbox, I've COMPLETELY LOST THE PMs. I cannot even tell you whose I lost! :ohgeez:

If you sent me PM in the past few weeks and never got a reply, please send again. In the event my inbox here on CPF is full you can send the PM on MP or via email...

img-email-milky-quarryrun-com.gif

Many thanks for your understanding! Yup, I was a real nitwit. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.