4 Sevens
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Quote Originally Posted by HoopleHead View Post
    non-scientific runtime test completed on the Hoople. when on low (just a bit brighter than the novatac 120Ps lowest setting) it lasted ~14 days and 5 hours (341 hours) before dropping out of regulation and starting to dim. still usable after that point, still could be turned on to high, but thats about where it started dropping. so over 14 days on a single 123A primary. sweet! dont think i wanna try on the miser mode...

ive been using the Hoople as my middle of the night move around the house light, the low is perfectly adequate for that. its been great, and the same battery has been lasting me forever.

does no one else think that 340+ hours on a single primary CR123A is insane? and havent even tapped into the miser mode yet...

i think i may have to get a 2x123 version...

ive been using the Hoople as my middle of the night move around the house light, the low is perfectly adequate for that. its been great, and the same battery has been lasting me forever.

does no one else think that 340+ hours on a single primary CR123A is insane? and havent even tapped into the miser mode yet...

i think i may have to get a 2x123 version...
    That is awesome! Like a fine wine, milky is getting better as he ages!
    I may not be that bright, but my lights are!
    "I hate when I buy crap, so I try very hard not to sell it."
    -Gene Malkoff

Milky?
    You out there somewhere?? Everything Ok??

I think Milky is just snowed under and trying to catch up on jobs.

Let's give the guy some breathing space. . . . at least until he finishes my build.
    The best weapon in the world is a flashlight. . . . Why? . . . So you can look deep into the other guy's eyes.

I'm hoping the U2 that I sent to Scott in March will become a U2by2 before Christmas.

When I spoke with Milky earlier this week, he said he had about 100 active projects on his bench. So patience is definitely needed. Of course, depending on your project, Scott can turn some things around in a matter of days. The U2s and other more complex projects have required considerably more time.

Kato, good luck with your U2x2 build. Scott just finished mine after nearly a year and it is sitting at my post office waiting for me to rescue it on Monday morning! Can't wait to post results here.

Quote Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
    When I spoke with Milky earlier this week, he said he had about 100 active projects on his bench. So patience is definitely needed. Of course, depending on your project, Scott can turn some things around in a matter of days. The U2s and other more complex projects have required considerably more time.

Kato, good luck with your U2x2 build. Scott just finished mine after nearly a year and it is sitting at my post office waiting for me to rescue it on Monday morning! Can't wait to post results here.
    Thanks for the update Praxis
    So I can expect my U2x2 sometime next year then

Thats cool .... as long as I know Scott is still working on it

*Flashaholic*

WOOT!

A couple of new Milky-built heads hit just now, and were promptly installed on waiting bodies.

On the bottom, a Project M McLux PR-T-HA head, X600.4. 4 Rebels in McR10-R reflectors, running on Acorn 1.0.

On the top,"Silverado," X632.4, a bare Aleph 3 head with a SSC P7 CSWOI, in a cut-down McR38 reflector, and running on Acorn NR.

Two incredibly powerful beams from lovely early McGizmo heads.

I love them both, but am especially happy to reunite the two PR-T heads I sent Scott back in the early spring.

Do you suppose McGizmo ever thought he'd see builds like this in his heads?

When does it get dark!

Great work, Milky, as usual!

Flashaholic*

Holy Batman....!

That is some serious ones you`ve got there Donn...!

The PRT`s revived by Scott...

This is how a proper COLLABORATION should look....!

Many happy moments with these ones I should guess.....

//Axel

The PR-T is a great head, IMHO one of the nicest designs ever! Not the easiest to upgrade with multi-emitter AND Acorn, however.

Donn, I'm glad you like the lights!

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzler View Post
    Milky?
    You out there somewhere?? Everything Ok??
    Been tough going lately... had pneumonia, got better... lost all our electricity for two days, discovered modding is really hard in a cold house with no electricity... been knocked around with various large expenses, health insurance issues, and similar... been grappling with a large number of builds (more on that below)... had a bout of anxiety that perhaps was related to some or all the above.

On the large number of builds: this by itself isn't a showstopper for me, in fact, last December (I reference that month because frankly it was the last time I actually took the time to count how many builds I did in a given month) I spent some quality time with the family and STILL managed to deliver 70 builds. The real problem for me is a never-ending need to upgrade my own organizational scheme as build volume has grown... what worked with 5 builds didn't with 20, which didn't with 50, which didn't with... well, you get the idea. Each time the given organizational scheme starts to break down, I end up reinventing everything behind the scenes while (hopefully) continuing business as usual from the perspective of you guys. It's a challenge, but one I find strangely intriguing! Still, it causes inefficiency, which doesn't help anyone. The picture isn't really all that simple anyway... the truth is, first in doesn't always mean first out. I pipeline several simultaneous builds, meaning at any given time some of the more involved ones might be in progress, perhaps waiting for anything from glue to dry to parts to be fabricated to components to arrive by mail... and in the meantime, I'm still building what I can, the relatively simpler, parts-in-hand builds. Historically, the Creemator, Boxter, Milky L1, HDS, among others, have quick turnaround time, while turbohead builds, various one-offs, and U2by2 tend to take longer. The U2by2 in particular has been the most frustrating platform I've ever built... the results are great! But getting there, from my vantage point, is one heck of an ordeal. Those have been taking the longest and those customers have waited the longest. I would hope the result has been worth the wait for the 25-30 folks who so far have received their completed U2by2, but I'd rather those builds had gone more quickly, and I'm sure others would prefer that, too.

Technology obsolescence is generally NOT an issue for folks who have waited a while for their builds: I've always had a practice of upgrading folks to newer, better components (with their permission of course) if a better emitter or other technology has come along while waiting for their build. That costs me more money but is IMHO the right thing to do. This has always been my approach though I haven't done a very good job of publicizing the practice.

It's always been my nature to hold a light longer rather than ship a build I didn't believe in... I'd imagine most people would be glad for that practice, but it does make the wait longer in some cases and given our nature, we as a group are not particularly known for our patience. I understand that, and ask only that folks understand the situation and that I've been doing my best, for everyone.

Thanks so much for so many kind words, guys. I sincerely appreciate it.
    Last edited by milkyspit; 11-12-2008 at 03:30 PM. Reason: (misspelling)
    --Scott

Great post Scott. Summed things up for everyone with work-in-progress question (at least I think so).

Please get better / spend time with the family!
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillphoto View Post
    Please get better / spend time with the family!
    +1

We as flashaholics tend to be very impatient when it comes to build times. On the whole, CPF is a community of caring people with genuine concern for others' well-being...myself being one of those people. Scott, my popcorn posts are in no way meant to show my impatience regarding my build, they're simply intended to keep this thread bumped to the front page; and to see what interesting developments are under way at MilkyLand Keep up the good work

Talk about the guilt's...Now I feel like some kid asking "are we there yet". Get to mine when you get to it Scott. Thanks, Gary

Thanks for the update, Scott! Glad you're feeling better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    Thanks for the update, Scott! Glad you're feeling better.
    +1

Thanks for the update Scott ...

milky!

the mantra still applies:

as awesome as Milky is, hes human, and is one man, serving hundreds. good things come to those who wait, as patience is a virtue. but in the end, milkyness is next to godliness!

Email sent.

I like visiting this thread. It makes me happy.
    -Barry-

Flashaholic

Hi Milkyspit,

I have a question about a mod and tried to pm you but your inbox was full. Could you provide an email address so I can ask you something?

Thanks
    Phil
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 11-22-2008 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Hi Milkyspit,

I have a question about a mod and tried to pm you but your inbox was full. Could you provide an email address so I can ask you something?

You can email me at philelauria@yahoo.com

Thanks
    Phil
    refer to post #286
    "There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature.
    Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."

[George Washington, address to Congress, 8 January, 1790]

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus View Post
    Hi Milkyspit,

You can email me at philelauria AAATTT yahoo DDOOTT com

Thanks
    Phil

Hi Phil,

First off, I'd suggest you don't post any email addresses in ordinary text as you've done with your own... I edited it in the quote above to make it less readable by spambots. Here's my email address in graphic form, again to frustrate the spambots...

Please put "CPF" and your username somewhere in the header, to make it easier to pick your email out from the other gunk in my inbox!

Hope this helps.
    --Scott

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    Hi Phil,

First off, I'd suggest you don't post any email addresses in ordinary text as you've done with your own... I edited it in the quote above to make it less readable by spambots. Here's my email address in graphic form, again to frustrate the spambots...

Please put "CPF" and your username somewhere in the header, to make it easier to pick your email out from the other gunk in my inbox!

Hope this helps.
    Email sent. Thanks

Email sent

Project-M Revisited: M367 'Pinky' Mag 2C!

Just finished a light destined for night hikes and similar outdoor use by a fellow CPFer. This one remains true to the original Project-M principles as expressed in the Project-M Thread, of balanced performance, extreme efficiency, and high quality regulation. (367 lumens continuous for 3h8m on 2x18650 AW protected 2200mAh cells, with enhanced color rendition.) Will post a short thread devoted to the build but in the meantime, here's a little eye candy...

BTW, the host itself is hard anodized black, one of the last of a special run Leef did for me some time back.

(Got lots of other eye candy, too, that I haven't gotten around to posting yet!)
    --Scott

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    (Got lots of other eye candy, too, that I haven't gotten around to posting yet!)

Looking forward to seeing whats up your sleeve

Pics please!!

On the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by DaFABRICATA View Post
    Looking forward to seeing whats up your sleeve

Pics please!!
    Me too!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Chaser View Post
    Me too!!
    Me three