Thanks!

Default Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

Mail from me also (email that is)

Crackup Re: Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 3

BUILD SCOTT, BUILD LIKE THE WIND!

Flashaholic*

Build like the wind? Yes, but WHEN?
    If I had as many requests as Scott has to answer emails, PMs and phone calls (in addition to keeping up with the latest technology and spending quality time with my family), it would certainly slow down my work output (and drive me nuts!).

Hey, Scott,

There should be a U2 on the way to you. No longer have the makings of a U2X2?

We'll have to figure something else out, then, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by gottawearshades View Post
    Hey, Scott,

There should be a U2 on the way to you. No longer have the makings of a U2X2?

We'll have to figure something else out, then, huh?

GWS, whether I have the parts to build still more U2by2's depends on the yield from my remaining supply of Rebel-100 emitters... meaning how many survive the initial burn-in testing... that's why I've been hedging my bets lately on how many more I can build.

That said, I've also been working on a couple contingency plans that ought to have the U2 upgrades still pumping out comparable performance improvements even after the Rebel-100 emitters are gone.
    --Scott

You, sir, are my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by milkyspit View Post
    GWS, whether I have the parts to build still more U2by2's depends on the yield from my remaining supply of Rebel-100 emitters... meaning how many survive the initial burn-in testing... that's why I've been hedging my bets lately on how many more I can build.

That said, I've also been working on a couple contingency plans that ought to have the U2 upgrades still pumping out comparable performance improvements even after the Rebel-100 emitters are gone.

Milky, I'm ready to take the plunge and take a new L1 to a respectable level. Sent you a PM and email about discussing mods. Take Care!
    Jeff

Is the 3xSSCP4, KL2-M273 safe to use with 3x3.6v RCR123s?

I got mine from another CPFer on B/S/T and he claims that it can run on 4xCR123a or 3xRCR123s.

Last edited by Fusion_m8; 09-07-2008 at 04:26 AM.
    Before we can become old and wise, first we have to be young and foolish.
    When I die, I want to be like grandpa, peaceful and asleep. Unlike his passengers, screaming and yelling...

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_m8 View Post
    Is the 3xSSCP4, KL2-M273 safe to use with 3x3.6v RCR123s?

I got mine from another CPFer on B/S/T and he claims that it can run on 4xCR123a or 3xRCR123s.

No, do NOT do that... 3x rechargeables is a VERY BAD IDEA! You will most likely fry the circuitry.

The general rule with your M273-KL2 head is to use a maximum of 9 volts.
    --Scott

Care to elaborate on what the next iteration of the U2by2 might contain? Someone here was asking about the Golden Dragon+ in place of the Rebels...

I'd like to start discussing a U2 build. PM sent.
    Last edited by StrayLight; 09-08-2008 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StrayLight View Post
    Care to elaborate on what the next iteration of the U2by2 might contain? Someone here was asking about the Golden Dragon+ in place of the Rebels...

Since we didn't really get anywhere with the stroller trade, I'd like to start discussing a U2 build in partial trade for the 2x123 pak.

StrayLight, I'd prefer not getting too far ahead of things with these contingency plans for the U2by2 until I've had more of a chance to gain some comfort with them here in the Milky Labs. That said, PM sent about other matters.
    --Scott

Thanks for the warning!

No, do NOT do that... 3x rechargeables is a VERY BAD IDEA! You will most likely fry the circuitry.

The general rule with your M273-KL2 head is to use a maximum of 9 volts.
    Before we can become old and wise, first we have to be young and foolish.
    When I die, I want to be like grandpa, peaceful and asleep. Unlike his passengers, screaming and yelling...

My U2x2 blew a rebel...what do I do?

Quote Originally Posted by AaronM View Post

Aaron, sorry to hear that happened. Send it back so I can replace the bad Rebel. PM if you need the mailing address again, and otherwise just let me know when it's on the way.
    --Scott

Flashaholic

Hi AaronM,

What did you do to make that happen? (so I'll know not to do the same thing )

Hi Scott,

That's actually very interesting. What happens if/when you run out of rebels and a few around the world start blowing.

I guess other options always appear to re-mod etc?

Thanks
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by werdnawee View Post
    Hi Scott,

That's actually very interesting. What happens if/when you run out of rebels and a few around the world start blowing.

I guess other options always appear to re-mod etc?

Thanks
    Andrew

Andrew, I've given this some thought for a while, too. For starters, the same possibility exists with any custom light... we CPFers tend to have a preference for premium bins that are not always available, which could put other builds in the same situation. First line of defense involves me doing my best always to have some supply of the premium emitters, including the Rebel-100, on hand... it's a tricky business in that it's not in my interest to run completely out of emitters, but at the same time no modder wants to be sitting on a huge pile of some emitter that suddenly becomes obsolete with the introduction of a new bin. This guesstimation process is one of the hardest parts of what I do, and while I won't claim to have mastered the black art of forecasting yet, at least I have built a fair amount of experience in dealing with it, often the hard way.

With the Rebel-100, at present I do have a cetain number of holdbacks for this sort of thing... it is of course possible they'll run out someday, but for now we're okay. Also, though there have been a few U2by2 that have required emitter replacements after leaving the Milky Labs, the number have been thankfully few. To put in some perspective, I've used maybe 150 Rebel-100 emitters in various builds... and had to replace maybe 5-6 emitters total, INCLUDING the one Aaron just reported. Keeping my fingers crossed that trends will continue this way... statistically speaking, the more hours logged on the emitters, the less likely they'll suddenly fail.

If the Rebel-100 emitters DO run out, including the holdbacks, that still leaves some more options...

I could acquire more Rebel-100 emitters from another modder. They're not very common but pockets of them do pop up here and there. Traditionally on CPF, there's always been a certain camaraderie among many of the modders as far as helping one another in these sorts of situations.

Also, the longer the time horizon, the more likely Lumileds releases a fresh supply of Rebel-100 emitters. Even today the Rebel-80 emitter is available... it's not quite as bright, but in a pinch could be mounted in place of a bad emitter and would do the job pretty nicely. Replacing ONE bad Rebel-100 emitter in a U2by2 with a Rebel-80 emitter would drop max output from 500 lumens to roughly 475 lumens, so all things considered, it's not that horrible... and this would be one of the LAST resorts, not the first.

There are also a few contingency plans as far as building the U2by2 with completely different emitters, and yes, a rebuild is possible in the event of a blown emitter... for a total rebuild I would have to charge the recipient at least for the replacement parts, but could contribute the bulk of the labor for free to make the bottom line cost more palatable. This one's a grey area in that it would be partly motivated in repairing the light, which I do of course stand behind... but would also in part be the customer's choice to move to the new architecture, so the customer would need to bear some (but not all) of the cost. Again, this one's not the first line of defense, but rather one farther down the line of possibilities.

There's also the prospect that another manufacturer offers a drop-in replacement for the part in question, which has been happening more and more lately as the competitive landscape for high power white LEDs heats up (Lumileds, Cree, Seoul, Osram, Nichia, Edison, Lamina, and more).

Bottom line, while the exact course of action could vary based on the circumstances, it's difficult to imagine a situation in which a customer would be left in the lurch with a blown emitter.

Hope this helps, and sorry if it was a little long winded.
    --Scott

Flashaholic

Hey Scott,

No, this is all really good information.

And I can understand it's a balance regarding the amount of "spares" to have on hand vs using them.

Anyway, we all appreciate what you do and sounds like there will always be backup options, new LEDs coming out all the time so that shouldn't be an issue.

Good info, Scott. Thanks!

Banned

How much is it?

Thought I'd share some photos from my new purchase. My goal was to have something in the size range of a C2 or L5. I also wanted a light that would out preform my L5 in both throw and spill. After brainstorming with Scott we decided on the light below. All I can say is WOW!!!!! ... This light makes my L5 look like a AA mini mag. Great job Scott. Unbelievable costumer service and build quality.

The Build:
    X602-M3: 603 lumens
    3x Cree R2-WC emitters
    McR16xr Reflectors
    M3 head
    C2 body
    Leef C to M Adapter

Right, I'll send it off in a day or so.
    BTW, do you now bore out battery tubes?
    I could use some done to.

Hey, Milky I was wondering if you starting do anything with the new Cree mc-e or xp-e. And I've never seen a mod like a sf m6 or maglite with 3000 or 4000 lumens but I wanted to know if it is possible with all the heat to get it to run. Possible with 20 rebels or 7 mc-e.

Quote Originally Posted by porschehotshot View Post
    ...And I've never seen a mod like a sf m6 or maglite with 3000 or 4000 lumens but I wanted to know if it is possible with all the heat to get it to run. Possible with 20 rebels or 7 mc-e.

Me too Scott, I want what porschehotshot wants! 4000 lumens/twenty Rebels ought to do me fine in that M6 that's heading to New Jersey. Heat? That's why they invented oven mitts! :~)

porschehotshot, it can be a lot of fun around here!

Hey, Milky I was wondering if you starting do anything with the new Cree mc-e or xp-e. And I've never seen a mod like a sf m6 or maglite with 3000 or 4000 lumens but I wanted to know if it is possible with all the heat to get it to run. Possible with 20 rebels or 7 mc-e.

Just imagine the cost in parts alone!!!

It would be cool though, and I never doubt what Scott is capable of.
    Flashlight Modifications available upon request
    "I have to go return some video tapes." -Patrick Bateman

Quote Originally Posted by puzzl3 View Post
    How much is it?

If "it" means U2by2, current price for the upgrade with 4x Rebel-100 emitters and McR12-R reflectors is $265 plus shipping, with you supplying the stock U2 for the upgrade... I can source a U2 on your behalf if that's more convenient... price varies depending on what sort of deal I'm able to track down. Send me PM and/or email if you have interest in this or any other project. Many thanks!

In Other Matters

Not something I've wanted to make much of a big deal out of, but somehow I came down with pneumonia in the past couple weeks... wasn't feeling all that great, thought it was allergies... apparently not! That really knocked me down for a while. Not back to 100% yet but am recovering steadily. Thank God for antibiotics!

The U2 builds are all over the place... not literally of course, but I have a handful of lights which arrived recently... plus some that are in the process of being machined for the upgrade... plus a couple that failed burn-in testing the first time around, and need some additional work. Then there's the question of just how far my remaining supply of Rebel-100 emitters as well as McR10-R and McR12-R reflectors will stretch. On this latter point, the other day I spent a fair bit of time physically separating-out reflectors from the general stash, to keep them with the lights for which they are destined... that will ensure the builds will in fact have the proper reflectors ready and waiting, and avoid a scenario where I unexpectedly run out with more builds to go. I really love this build, and really hate this build, if that makes any sense.

Regarding the 3000-4000 lumen light, I'm not gonna say no to that! But I do need to work out a feasible design for such a thing... it presents some significant challenges.

As for Cree MC-E, I don't have any yet. If anybody happens to get some and wants to share, I wouldn't mind buying a few to play with. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by milkyspit; 09-09-2008 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Dorky misspelling
    --Scott

Be sure to get plenty of rest Scott!

And eat plenty.

Right, I'll send it off in a day or so.
    BTW, do you now bore out battery tubes?
    I could use some done to.
    Yes, I do bore out battery tubes now.

Porsche, I'd like to work with both emitters and have no doubt that I will... however, as of this writing I've yet to receive a supply of either emitter, not even samples. As soon as I can locate some to play with, will start to research potential applications.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksheepvictor View Post
    Thought I'd share some photos from my new purchase. My goal was to have something in the size range of a C2 or L5. I also wanted a light that would out preform my L5 in both throw and spill. After brainstorming with Scott we decided on the light below. All I can say is WOW!!!!! ... This light makes my L5 look like a AA mini mag. Great job Scott. Unbelievable costumer service and build quality.

The Build:
    X602-M3: 603 lumens
    3x Cree R2-WC emitters
    McR16xr Reflectors
    M3 head
    C2 body
    Leef C to M Adapter

BSV, glad you like your light. (BTW, to all, his light was ALREADY showing wear as I understand it's seen plenty of use... I didn't do that!)
    --Scott

Having been fortunate enough to have obtained a couple of Milkyspit modded flashlights recently, I've decided to experiment with a photo tribute to . . . The Surrealistic Magic of the Milky Mod.

Here's to you and your outstanding work, Scott (as interpreted in a perhaps bizarre sort of way).

You may click to view if you're at all inclined to see a larger version of any of the photos, above.

OK, here's one more small set. I figure it falls under an "eye candy" category. (That's my excuse, in any case... )

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131417 ... LastLast