Motorcycle, questions.

sawlight

Enlightened
Ok, I am thinking about geting one, I have wanted one for years, but with gas prices I think I can sell the wife on it.
Here's the deal,
I am old, and fat, I have a bad back, and I GET STUPID!! I have to know "what'll she do"! I like the idea of an R1, other than I'd be laying on my belly while the bike went on down the road without. Yeah, that kind of stupid!!
I have been reading nothing but SMASHING reviews of the new Kawi Ninja 250R. Small yes, but 70ish MPG, looks cool, fast enough to get me killed but I can do that on a bicycle.
My thing, I am 6' and 265#'s, and have a bad back. It also just cost me $90 to fill up my truck, at that rate it wont take much to offset the $3500 price of the bike, RIGHT?
Open for ideas and suggestions from all.
Thank you.

Lumenz

Enlightened
Since you have a bad back, I would say do not get a rice rocket of any type. The ergonomics of a sport bike mean that you have to support yourself with your back/stomach muscles. You may want to think about getting a cruiser or something else that lets you sit more upright.

If you are only getting one to off-set the price of gas, don't bother. When you factor in the cost of the bike, the cost of a helmet and leather gear and insurance, it is not an economically sound idea. It would be more cost effective to sell your car and get a Prius.

And since you already mentioned you plan to do stupid things on your bike, I think you should avoid riding altogether. It is dangerous enough riding out there when you are careful. The fact that you plan on doing stupid things means you are going to be a danger to yourself and others.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Lumenz said. Bad idea.

I used to ride a Kawi ZX12R, a ZX10R before that, a 600cc Ninja before that, and a smattering of other bikes before the cruise missiles. A sport bike will cripple you if you have back problems. Go to a dealership and sit on one for half an hour.

It's entirely likely that some clueless idiot who doesn't realize there's a world past their hood ornament will smear you even while you're riding in a perfectly sane and legal manner. If you're inclined towards idiot actions then the very least you can do for yourself is keep a cage around you.

The money saved will not buy your life back nor will it ease your loved one's grief.

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but I AM selfish. I don't want to read any more posts from loved ones about deceased flashaholics.

:buddies:

fnmag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given your age, size, weight, and a bad back/spine I'd have to recommend a bike that will allow you to sit upright....cruiser or touring motorcycle.
Under no circumstances get a rice rocket as it won't be simply uncomfortable...it will be painful...
I think the 250cc would not be a good choice for you.
Many people are buying motorcycles and scooters due to the price of gas. You can get a great deal on a used motorcycle and with the money you'll save, take a motorcycle safety class.
It is indeed very dangerous "out there". But riding is a great activity so I'm leary of warning you off.
Simply take the class and ride as though everyone wants to hit you and nobody can see you.
I wish you the best of luck, there are many choices out there.
Ride safe and keep the rubber side down.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't buy a bike to save gas. Take a gazillion years to catch up with the cost. But buying a bike because you want one is OK by me.

I recommend a dual-sport like the Kawa KLR650. Doesn't do anything perfectly but does everything pretty well. Tall with upright seating. Very good for us big guys with bad backs. Big single with loads of torque for around town. Proven - same bike made for 20+ years, so few problems and good parts and accessory availability world-wide. Mine gets 50-55mpg. You can pick up low-mile used ones for surprisingly little. (I'd avoid the '08s right now. First design changes in years have produced some problems)

BUT before you write a check, please take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation basic course. It will give you hands on riding experience and help develop good riding habits (you're fortunate that you've not developed bad ones to unlearn - like some people I know!) It may also help with your licensing (replaces the driving test in Texas) and will probably get an insurance discount. You'll also see several different types of bikes and might even get to ride a few other than the instructor bikes (generally 250cc road bikes).

Two things to remember if you do take the plunge: "All The Gear - All The Time" (protective clothing and helmet) and "Ride Like You're Invisible".

http://www.klrforum.com/

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Last edited:

sawlight

Enlightened
For the "stupid factor", I have a desire to know "What'll she do!" Not so much like riding like an idiot, I have mellowed a lot with age (pushing forty). So I guess the crotch rocket is a bit of a mid life crissis:naughty:
I had a friend tell me that a sport bike would kill my back, I just wanted to verify that. It seems I can ride my road bicycle for hours with no problems, but I guess it's not the same?
Good call on the dual sport Bigiron. The same buddy that warned me of the back issues has a '96? NS650 for $1200. It fits me nicely, but it doesn't look as cool:rolleyes:
I guess it's time to work something out with the wife!
And yes, I plan on taking the course if I get a bike.
Thanks guys.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If that Honda is the electric start version (probably is) and isn't ragged out and since you know the owner, I'd take a serious look at it at that price.

And I'll guarantee you'll look cooler on it than you would on a 250 Ninja!!!! Much less of what I call the MFF factor (monkey having intercourse with a football).

Daekar

Enlightened
I have to say that I partially agree with the other posters. If you know you're not going to be able to resist doing stupid things, a bike is not for you. However, if you think you can get over that, the 250 Ninja is a wonderful buy (especially a used one) and great starter bike. Allow me to point out that, despite other's suggestions to the contrary, in my experience (and my brother's, who did touring down the length of Florida down to Key West with us on a 2004 model of the bike) the smallest Ninja is NOT a crotch rocket. It has plastic, yes, but the seating position is neutral, more like a standard than a crotch rocket. Comfort should not be a problem unless you have trouble slouching in a chair. However, if you road bike is anything like the ones I'm familiar with, you should have absolutely no trouble at all! The only problem I forsee you possibly encountering is that the rear shock MIGHT need to be stiffened up a bit to compensate for your weight. However I can say that when I had a 250, my girlfriend and I totalled up to be more than your weight together and we got around just fine, even with her weight further out on the tail, causing more compression than you will encounter.

I definitely second the suggestion to take the MSF course! I can't recommend it strongly enough! Not only do they teach you to ride, and ride properly, but you can also get insurance discounts for taking the course. It replaces the riding test in Virginia, too, so it's possible it might in your state as well.

IcantC

Enlightened
Didn't read all the posts but a few things.
1) Do NOT buy a sportbike if you have back problems.
2) The 250R is not a sportbike. It is a nice bike, just don't pay $6k like I see some idiots paying for it. Or buy a older 250EX. Go sit on one in a dealer, they have an upright postion unlike a sport bike.
3) Try the KLR650 or a Ninja 650 or some cruiser/touring bikes.
4) Take MSF course
5) Wear FULL protective gear.
6) Do NOT buy one if you plan to push the bike to it's limit on the streets. You do not want to end up dead.

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't read all the posts but a few things.
1) Do NOT buy a sportbike if you have back problems.
2) The 250R is not a sportbike. It is a nice bike, just don't pay $6k like I see some idiots paying for it. Or buy a older 250EX. Go sit on one in a dealer, they have an upright postion unlike a sport bike.
3) Try the KLR650 or a Ninja 650 or some cruiser/touring bikes.
4) Take MSF course
5) Wear FULL protective gear.
6) Do NOT buy one if you plan to push the bike to it's limit on the streets. You do not want to end up dead.

Ey... Your stored private messages is full... When you clean that send me a message... :D