Thinking of what should be my first incan..

jxwhadley

Newly Enlightened
I got bit by the flashlight bug about 4 months ago. I first got an Inova X5. Then I found out about Fenix lights and got an L2D, a
TK-10, and an L0D. Then I got a Photon Freedom Micro. I like all of them and they each have a place in the little flashlight
family that's growing here. They're all LED lights though and now I'm thinking about an incan. So far, I'm leaning heavily toward
a Wolf Eyes M90 Rattlesnake. I like the size and the versatility but it was the two beamshots from an M90 here that really snagged
me - https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/173535. I'm also trying to stay at under $200.
If I get one from www.pts-flashlights.com, I see that currently it comes with an HO-9L bulb at 380 lumens which seems to be the
highest output bulb that you can run for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time. Seems like a nice option. But I'd also like to go
with the M90-13V LRB-168 Conversion Kit and a 4-LED tail cap. Between these 3 options, the light could cover a nice range of use.
I'm thinking that the best way to go is to get the M90, go with the charger it comes with and get the conversion kit that consists
of just the extender and the EO-13 bulb. I can see more flashlights in my future and perhaps the CH-02 would allow me to charge
other size li-ion batteries too.
Any comments, endorsements of the M90 or suggestions of alternate lights/configurations? I love the wall of light, the color you get with an
incan, and am hoping for a bit more throw than the TK-10 gives me. So far, the M90 seems like the strongest candidate.
Thanks in advance!

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Get a 6P, A19 cell extender, and a P90 lamp assembly. You can do alot with a 6P or 9P platform. Turboheads, high output LAs, LED dropins, many, many, configurations are possible.

Or if you want to go small you can't go wrong with the E2e.

kelmo

Glen C

Enlightened
JXWhadley, I am a Wolf Eyes dealer so somewhat biased, but I think the Rattlesnake 13V with EO13 make a really nice combo. In the LRB150A version it's size is quite modest for the output. Hope you enjoy the world of incans.

jxwhadley

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to you both. Hm. Kelmo, am I right in assuming that putting the A19 extender onto the 6P host gives you the ability to run with the P90 or P91 or LF D-26 series of lamps? Also, can you run a P6n or P9n Surefire lamp with RCR123s?

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seriously? Step up to the M4, or M6. Those two offer the most options if you are looking for a high output light.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the A19 converts a 6P into a 9P. I don't own any after market lamps or use rechargebles so I can't comment on those items. Adamlau has a point, the M4 and M6 are quite impressive. I have both and am quite satisfied. They are alot of fun.

mdocod

Flashaholic
if rechargability and meeting a price point are important, then the wolf-eyes is the way to go. Buying a 6P now, then trying to mutilate it into a light as powerful as a M90 will require the replacement of the body with a 2x18650 leef, and possibly the replacement of the bezel with a turbo kit, by the time you're done all you have left of your 6P is a tailcap, I like to call that a $59 tailcap. If you think you'd like to standardize on the surefire platform but want a larger format rechargeable solution like the M90, start with the 2x18650 leefbody to begin with, or the 3x18650, and buy a tailcap that doesn't have a flashlight hanging off the front of it (I've heard they are less expensive that way), slap it on there, with a C-C body you'll need a KT2, for the C-M body you'll need a KT4, the C-C solution is a little cheaper usually, but looks may be important.... did I mention I've had 5 cups of coffee? great!

RCR123s are not a viable solution for any high power incan. they don't have enough capacity and can't deliver enough power to bother with. If being rechargeable is important, and you must have a heavy hitting incan, start with 18650s, thank me later.

KeeperSD

Enlightened
+1 for the Rattlesnake with the EO13, awesome light, tough as nails with a great output in a decent sized package.

Already owning the the TK10 i would suggest you look at the larger bezel incans rather than a D26/P90 bezel sized 9V light. I have a Raider with an EO9 (one of my preferred set ups) and the extra output isn't that obvious over the Q5 Wolf Eyes drop in, since you have the TK10 already you may not offer you the increase you are looking for.

IMO High powered incans are definately nicer with rechargeable cells, can save some dollars when using them regularly. In relation to your budget the Rattlesnake will come in under budget with all the extras required to run it, while the M4 and M6 will be likely to be well over without batteries.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
JXWhadley, I am a Wolf Eyes dealer so somewhat biased, but I think the Rattlesnake 13V with EO13 make a really nice combo. In the LRB150A version it's size is quite modest for the output. Hope you enjoy the world of incans.
I just clicked and saw the price, and fainted.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just clicked and saw the price, and fainted.
How so? a Hotwire Mag-kit once you include all the components, shipping costs & necessary accessories can quickly cause a budget to equally spiral out of control...

I really like my SF 6P and intend on collecting many bits'n'pieces to create a lego kit (as it were) if this sounds like you then go Surefire... however if you piece together the WE Rattlesnake package you'll have what you want/need without the hassle of hunting down specialized components :thumbsup:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
In fairness though, Glen's suggestion is right on the money (if you pardon the pun).

It's just that, to me, a first incan is something like a $3.25 Eveready E250K, not a 700-lumen monster...

scottaw

Enlightened
Sounds like your collection of led lights has most of your light "needs" covered, so you might as well go for huge lumens for your first incan.

For $200ish you can build a Mag11 with a multi-mode switch and a spare battery carrier. Might as well jump right up to the 800 lumen range. And from there if you decide you like the hotwires you an change to a 5761, more light less runtime, or start all over and build a mag85. Look around the custom and mod BST and you should be able to find one already put together.

Welcome to incan-land, you'll never have enough lumens from here on out....

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to incan-land, you'll never have enough lumens from here on out....

You can sat that again... the more Lumens the better! :devil:

Still my biggest frustration with M@g hotwire projects (and I'm sure that others can attest to this) was planning, sourcing the necessary components and then waiting for them to finally arrive :shakehead

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If you have had little or not experience with a Maglight such as a 3D, or 4D Mag, stock bulbs, you should start there. You can then move to higher output bulbs, such as offered at Radio Shack, then move to even higher output bulbs such as offered by Carley. Along the way as you get closer to the higher amp, hotter incan bulbs you might opt for an aluminum reflector, something in a light, or medium orange peel type coating, particularly with the higher amp bi-pin setups and bulbs.

Also, along the way I progressed to Surefire lights and many of the offings available.

This is sort of how I started out, sort of from the ground up, and this beginning learning experience helped me really appreciate using incan bulbs, and when I see what some of the advanced incan users are doing, I am in awe.

Bill

EV_007

Enlightened
If I would do it all over again, my first incan would be a SureFire C3 with an A19 extender that way I have many options including the LF EO-9 bulb running off of 2x17670s for bright, guilt free operation or running the bulb with three 123a primaries.

With this set up I run the following bulbs or LEDs:
SureFire P90
SureFire P91
Lumens Factory EO-9
SureFire P60L (LED module)
M60 (LED module)

The grip and pocket clip adds extra useful value as well. You'll have both guilt-free and "guilty" lumen options

Glen C

Enlightened
In fairness though, Glen's suggestion is right on the money (if you pardon the pun).

It's just that, to me, a first incan is something like a $3.25 Eveready E250K, not a 700-lumen monster...

LCTorana, I learnt to drive on a $150 car I paid for but I see plenty learning to drive on 2-3 year old Mercs, so can see where you are coming from. I think the original poster seems to have some experience and has the smaller LED end covered so thought if he is choosing from versions of the Snake it is probably worth picking the one furthest from his LED lights. I must say the Rattlesnake 13V in 18500 size is probably my personal favourite in that size balancing output, size, rechargeability, etc. At least I didn't suggest a M6 at Aussie prices :)

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
LCTorana, I learnt to drive on a $150 car I paid for but I see plenty learning to drive on 2-3 year old Mercs, so can see where you are coming from. I think the original poster seems to have some experience and has the smaller LED end covered so thought if he is choosing from versions of the Snake it is probably worth picking the one furthest from his LED lights. I must say the Rattlesnake 13V in 18500 size is probably my personal favourite in that size balancing output, size, rechargeability, etc. At least I didn't suggest a M6 at Aussie prices :)
Agreed, Glen.
(I learned to drive in a driving school 120Y...)
Your suggestion met the OP's criteria, and was within his stated budget.
And will compare favourably with anything, LED-wise, short of a P7.

On a side note, Glen's "M6 at Aussie prices" reference has reminded me to ask does anyone know if Surefire are in the Australian market, at all, in any price bracket? Or are all the Surefires I've seen at CPF private imports?