Surefire E2E, RCR123A & std bulb or EO-E2R

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
I bought the following rechargeable CR123 batteries..and sadly after popping them into my Surefire E2E they firstly didn't seem to work, then when I used one normal CR123A with one rechargeable, the bulb immediately blew. :sigh:

Appreciate advice on:
  1. Why did 2RCR123 not work? Both are fully charged, probably a problem with the contact point?
  2. Why did the original Surefire bulb blow with 1xRCR and 1xCR123? Because of the voltage or wattage?
  3. I bought the Lumenfactory EO-E2R bulb. Yet to receive it. Is it safe to use with the RCR123s, or will they blow the bulb too?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rechargeable batteries
Replacement bulb
  • EO-E2R (7.2V, 150 Lumens) Extreme High Output Lamp Assemblyies

Mark@LF

Enlightened
1. Don't know why the bulb didn't blew when you used the 2 RCR, but it should. It's probably a contact issue. And you were lucky that it didn't blew.

2. You probably solved the contact issue after changing one of the batteries, so it blew the lamp. Your standard SF lamp is not designed for handling anything other then 2 x 3.0V CR123A primary cell. The design voltage of the lamp is lower then the voltage output of your batteries, so it blew. (Also, never use a combination like this ever again, mixing rechargeable batteries and primary cells can be dangerous.)

3. The EO-E2R is designed for 2 x 3.6V rechargeable cells, so it will not blow your bulb and it will be safe, well, on the lamp at least. If you want optimial performance from that EO-E2R, you should have brought AW batteries.

Cheers,

Mark

EV_007

Enlightened
Hey mark, I mus say I'm very impressed with the offerings I've tried thus far from you guys.

Keep up the good work in designing lamp assemblies that fit and work in existing hosts.

The EO-2R really packs a punch in my E series lights. Anyway they can be designed to put out 200+ lumens? Damn the runtime on the batteries, give me lumens. LOL

I use Lumen Factory bulbs when comparing them to LEDs often times due to their options for use with rechargeable batteries.

cykoed

Newly Enlightened
Mark,

Thks for your advice! Esp on mixing primaries and rechargeables...didnt know it was dangerous:eek:oo::duh2::poof:

1. What's "AW batteries"?
  2. What are the options to solve the contact point problem with the RCRs?
Thanks!

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mark@LF

Enlightened
Thank for the nice comments guys. :)

As for the E series pushing out 200+ lumens, it could be done. But then you will need larger capacity batteries to push it and the small reflector of the E series might have overheating issues when used for a longer period continuously.

If you use a longer body that enable you to use higher capacity batteries, such as offerings from "Vital Gear", then a 200+ lumens lamp assembly will be possible. Using 2 x 17500 or 2 x 17670 or 3 x CR123A or 4 x CR123A, at least 2 or more lamp assemblies with higher output could be designed.

Then again, why do this when you can get a 6P or 9P that is about the same size and probably cheaper to get and mod then going the above route?

Well, unless you are a super E series fanatic. :D

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited: