Removing This Switch from a 2D Mag - solved

Lucero

Enlightened
UPDATE

Here's a link to a page with a diagram.
Am I meant to use that spanner wrench tool shown in Item 25?

The 2D cells are stuck inside the body and I'm trying to get the ring off from the head side so I can push the cells out of the body. And, "no, I won't be using an EZ-Out for this operation". Thanks for the PM and the laughs.

Many thanks,

Lucero

Last edited:

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Stuck KIU switch in 2D Mag

the retaining ring? flat head screwdriver, the wider the better it works for me.

scottaw

Enlightened

If you want to remove the switch all it takes is a small allen wrench (2mm), take the rubber switch cover off, put the allen key down the hole in the switch, and the whole assembly falls right out the back of the light.

mdocod

Flashaholic

5/64ths allen key through switch hole, if you haven't already, (there's a socket set screw with cone point driven into the mag body through the back side of the switch assembly)

as I recall, your original question mentioned that the batteries were STUCK inside the tube from corrosion/leaking, and that you needed the switch to come out the front so you could drive the cells out.

Problem with this, is when the switch assembly is driven right up next to that snap ring, it's nearly impossible to get out. I've personally used all sorts of various tools in an attempt to remove that snap ring with the switch still in place and I can tell you that I am not sure if it's even possible.

Lucero

Enlightened
Re: switch in 2D Mag

5/64ths allen key through switch hole, if you haven't already, (there's a socket set screw with cone point driven into the mag body through the back side of the switch assembly)

as I recall, your original question mentioned that the batteries were STUCK inside the tube from corrosion/leaking, and that you needed the switch to come out the front so you could drive the cells out.

Problem with this, is when the switch assembly is driven right up next to that snap ring, it's nearly impossible to get out. I've personally used all sorts of various tools in an attempt to remove that snap ring with the switch still in place and I can tell you that I am not sure if it's even possible.

Winner! That's where we are with this host. I guess it's toast. Nice color blue 2D with flawless condition exterior. The devil is that I believe there are 2 rechargeables in there --- and if they're Fouled up, then it's all a chucker for sure.

Apologies to scottaw. I did edit my orig post and deleted the important parts. Fixing now.

Last edited:

Lucero

Enlightened
Re: Removing This Switch from a 2D Mag - UPDATED

Hey - sooo, this wasn't a KIU switch that was stuck, it was really the 8AA-2D battery carrier with oversized AA's in a narrow body 2D. I was able to softly beat the tail end of the body and slide a feeler gauge between the "battery" and the body to fully loosen / remove the carrier.

Case closed.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast

For future reference, you can use a flat head screwdriver. The ring came out pretty easy from my 2C ROP when I installed the MagCtower. There was an indentation / notch in the ends of the ring that I could get the tip of the flat head screwdriver in enough to pry and lift the end of the ring out of the groove and then work the ring out of the light.

Lucero

Enlightened

For future reference, you can use a flat head screwdriver. The ring came out pretty easy from my 2C ROP when I installed the MagCtower. There was an indentation / notch in the ends of the ring that I could get the tip of the flat head screwdriver in enough to pry and lift the end of the ring out of the groove and then work the ring out of the light.
Yeaaaahhhhhhh, I wasn't successful with any of the five flat bladed screwdrivers I own. Tried two at once, filed down one to make it skinnier... etc. I can picture the tool that is required + the action of that tool... I just couldn't expend the energy to make it.