Newby with a very first post.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. I'm Orion. . . . . . and I'm a flashaholic. It all started with a free flashlight from Road & Track magazine for 1 year subscription. It was a 4 AA cell light with an incandescent bulb (screw type) on the front, and a florescent tube light on the side. Since then, I've accumulated almost 2 dozen lights of varying size and brightness (from a single AA disposable to a "million candlepower" spotlight). Most of my purchases weren't that expensive, until recently. A few weeks ago, I purchased a modification for the Mini Maglight. It was from NewBeam and has 3 white 5mm LEDs with 1 red 3mm LED that lights up when the batteries have been used to their fullest. Usually about 10 hours, with another 5-10 hours of diminishing light. That mod ran me about $30. My most recent purchase was more that double that amount, and I keep trying to resist the urge to buy a Surefire and go broke on 3V Lithium batteries.

Anyway, it is a pleasure to meet others with my affliction.

smile.gif

bwcaw

Enlightened
Everybody: Hi Orion... As for the surefires,
they are Surefire, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated. BTW what part of the midwest do you live in? I am in extreme NE
Nebraska.

Oh yeah, welcome to CPF!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"they are Surefire, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know.
frown.gif

I'm in MO.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My SF addiction started with a 6P then the rechargeable kit then brighter lamps then a Turbo head then a A-19 adaptor and more lamps now another A-19 and even more lamps
shocked.gif
When all the receipts are in it will be well over $400
frown.gif
But it is the most versatile light I have ever owned and the best
smile.gif

Welcome to CPF!

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know you're too much into flashlights when you start receiving them for your birthday and for Christmas.

Thanks for the welcome!

Darell

Flashaholic
Actually, true flashaholism begins when people are *afraid* to give you lights as gifts. When NOBODY else in your life knows more about lights than you do, THEN you've arrived....

Being the snobby SOB that I am, I just laugh at what most people call "flashlights."
grin.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Welcome, Orion. If you do decide to...cr*p, I mean *when* you decide to buy a SureFire, there are ways of buying lithium batteries as cheap as $1/ea, delivered. I managed to snag 12 of them at $0.72/ea delivered(!)
I remember the pain of paying $12 plus sales tax for 2 123's, but those days are loooong gone, now.

For a taste of SureFire light intensity, at a lower cost (and, of course, not quite as nice) there is the Brinkmann LX, which sells for around $20. Puts out as much light as a SureFire 6P, and consumes 2 123's in an hour. Lots of posts about the Brinkmann LX, if you want to do a search and read up on it.

And so, the slide down the slippery slope accelerates....
wink.gif
cool.gif
shocked.gif

rycen

Enlightened
Welcome,DONT GET ONE and I reaaly mean this because you will realize what a light should be.Iknow it will end up happening though.Maybe a G2 or a scorpion.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gandolf, very useful information! Please, could you inform me of such places to buy cheap 123's?!

I may try a Brinkman LX. Thanks! As far as Surefire, I think I'll step into them slowly and just get an E1 for my pocket.

Slippery slope, . . . . .. . yes! Someone needs to come up with a Graemlin that's sliding down a hill!

\
.\
..\
...\
blush.gif

....\

D

**DONOTDELETE**

hey orion,

i'm in columbia.. welcome to the board!

--erik

Saaby

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Orion:
Near Branson, actually, but I have friends up near St. Louis.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just had some family in Branson...I was
frown.gif

ANYWAY you ought to check out the "50 states" topic...don't think we've heard from Missouri yet...well unless you already have, in which case I'll come edit this.

I am resisting SF at current too...not a problem since I am broke and need an Arc, but we can do it
wink.gif
("I will not buy a light that takes 123s I will not buy a light that takes 123s I will not...)

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Darell said this:
Being the snobby SOB<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Saab??

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Aloha and welcome to the board!

Regarding getting the E1: Get it later! Get an E2e now!!!!!!

One night, my brother took out his 4D Mag. I took out my E2e. He shined the 4D against the wall. I shined the E2e and ... you just to have to get one to find out how the story ends!
grin.gif

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any SureFire's yet either, and the operative word here is YET!

The Brinkmann Legend LX could be called the Poor Man's SureFire E2. Both run on 2, 123a batteries, and some people say that the LX is actually a brighter, better beam! At any rate, it is very good.

Also, the Priceton Tec Surge is a very nice light.

Do searches on both of these, and you will have hours of reading to do!

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, Orion! You're not too far gone yet if you're just receivingflashlights from others.

You know you're truly addicted when flashlights are the only thing you give to other people. Imagine your friends and family, as they tear open your gift on Christmas morn, and exclaim, "Thank you!," only to be followed by a short silence when they see what's inside, "Ohh...another flashlight..."

On a more serious note, you indicated that you might be picking up the E1. For whatever it's worth, I agree with SFR above, and suggest the E2/E2e over the E1. For a little extra length, you get so much more light, plus the low output lamp should be out soon(?) for more options.

The E1 is well constructed like all SureFire lights, but for me, the amount of light you get for its size and cost is not warranted. But it depends on your own wants and needs, so perhaps the best thing to do is see if you can try out the light before buying.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Howdy, and Welcome to CPF, your podium to the Glittering World of Flashoholism. And uh -- get your second (or third) mortgage application ready...

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the continued greetings and advise. Okay, when I get my first SF, I'll do the E2. Of course, it all depends on if I can find a cheap supplier of 123s.

Also, thanks for informing me that I'm not TOO far gone yet. It's always helpful to know that there are others worse off than you!
wink.gif

yclo

Flashaholic*
Welcome...

Here in CPF resistance is useless...

Now repeat after me:
"I will get them both... I will get them both..."

YC