Anyone try this Bruton Extendible LED lantern?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks pretty neat.
918507.jpg

The add does not specify what type of switch or even battery type. Anyone have one?
http://store.yahoo.com/donawald/lamplight.html

-Two lights in one -Bright, focused flashlight to find the trail -Soft glow lantern for reading in your tent -Rugged as all get out -4.25" x 1.25" -Less than 3 oz. -Easy on/off switch -Batteries included -Bright-white LED -Bulb can't burn out -Runs for 200 hours -Hanging wrist lanyard

P.S. Does anyone know of a similar sized "extendable flashlight/lantern" that might be a good candidate for an Everled?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
that one looks just like nuwai's. they use 3AAA battery and one led. the beam was shaped using a magnifying glass (or should i say plastic?). This is a pretty neat light.
nuwai

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link. Those folks at nuwai seem to be doing A LOT of innovation lately. Too bad about the AAA batts - one would think that 3 AA could be stuffed into a compact size light. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
It's nearly identical functionally to the Clipper 1, other than its stretch light function and the lack of a clip at the back. The switch is an identical rotary switch at the front, and the rear access to the 3AAA battery operates identically. I've viewed the Bruton at the store, and have one under the brand name "Extreme Light" that I picked up at another store a couple of months or more ago. They're identical other than a few cosmetic differences. They're okay, although it never won a place of top honor among my other lights.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! I was just at the store today and I saw the Brunton lamp and was wondering what everyone here thought of it. I was gonna ask but you beat me to it.

How do you all think that the plastic would hold up? Is $19.99 a good deal or should I keep saving (to spend on LS4). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Jason

John John

Newly Enlightened
I have one... I got it at the SHOT show. Its pretty bright but the candle feature doesn't give much light on the sides. Whats wrong with 3 AAA's? NiMH works well with it. Mine doesn't have the silver side... mine is black.

John

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam was slightly worse than Brinkmann Longlife and for 3AAA, you may well be better with Mini LGI. Not that bad for 19.99, but it is better to save up for LS4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
just my 2 cents

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
It's a great little tent lantern, but we use ours for the bathroom during power outages. Keep one hanging under the sink, just inside the cabinet.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought this exact same light back in December at The Discovery Channel Store. The beam is slightly "ringier" than the Brinkmann Longlife, but it's also slightly brighter. It runs off of 3XAAA, and uses 1 LED behind a magnifying lens. In the area lamp mode, it doesn't give off very much light at all since there's nothing to direct the LED's light out to the sides...you get a faint glow that wouldn't illuminate anything bigger than a 2 man pup-tent, and faintly at that. In regular flashlight mode, if you like the Brinkmann Longlife/Rebel, then you'll like this, too. It's slightly brighter than the Brinkmann's, but slightly dimmer than a PT Impact. I think Empath summed it up pretty good when he said that they're pretty good lights, but they won't win a place of honor among my top lights.

PJD

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast
John John:
I've just never liked AAA - as the few that I've handled seem to go dead almost immedietly. Plus I'm a sucker for the option of putting lithium batteries in it.

shiftd and flownosaj:
What's an LS4?

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
SL4... Go check out the ARC forum. Sweet little toy that will set you back quite a bit come next fall /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Put a dollar a day in a safe place for the next six months and be one of the privileged few to get this with no feelings of guilt or remorse. The flashlight fund must be maintained.

And now we wait /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

-Jason

John John

Newly Enlightened
Worse then a Brinkmann? The shape to me seems better. I disagree. The Brinkmann we are talking about is the walmart silver and black plastic one that says long-life led on the top of it right? I prefer the brunton... it also seems a little bit brighter.

John

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
John...I said "ringier" than the Brinkmann, not worse. The Brunton does have more rings and artifacts in the peripheral light than the Brinkmann, but it is slightly brighter and has a better defined border on the beam. Also, the LED's leads are not visible in the beam of the Brunton as they are in the Brinkmann. Also, because of it's more compact size, I think the Brunton feels better in the hand than the Brinkmann...it all comes down to preference. For the $$$, they're both pretty good lights.

PJD

John John

Newly Enlightened
Oh... yeah I agree. It does feel better in the hand. Switching it with one hand can be a chore if your palms are schwetty. The three AAA's fit in there very snug.

John

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Man are we "sick" or what? "Ringy, Artifacts, Uneven beam..."

Compare the price of this torch to what the ARC LS4 is going to cost! (There's a fellow that sells this on eBay for about $15. This is a great little "affordable" emergency lantirn! Apples to oranges...

If we can afford $150 torches to hang in the bathroom in case of a power outage...then yeah, this torch sucks!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eastern Mountain Sports carries those, as of the last time I was there (last week). I didn't buy one, though, so I can't comment.