Whic oven for baked potatoes, tonight

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I never use the Cafe, but I have a real time limited problem here. We moved into a new house and it has four ovens. One micro wave/convection. one large gas oven, one dedicated large convection oven, and a large electric oven. I am cooking baked potatoes tonight, and do not want to use the micro wave/convection oven. Which other oven I have is better? No rush on cooking time except I have to have them in the oven in the next 20 minutes or so.

Bill

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say, whichever is smallest, as it'll probably take the least energy to reach and maintain the desired temperature.

Man, four ovens! That must be one big house or the previous owners were oven-o-holics (both?). Maybe, they were avid cooks/professional chefs and/or they did a lot of entertaining with many guests, eh?

LED_Thrift

Flashlight Enthusiast
generally the convection oven will be best because it helps the heat to transfer to the food because of the hot air flow over the food. Potatoes need a lot of heat since they are heavy. Convection ovens work better than regular ovens for almost all foods.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I am running out of time guys. Maybe 10 minutes, I have three ovens turned on. Just need a couple of more responses.

Bill

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Convection as said above. The other thing would be to wrap them in foil with some butter at 375 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes, then test them by poking with a toothpick. If they are soft inside, then they're done, still firm, not done.

Good Luck!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Time is up, thanks guys (gals?). I am picking convection, so will turn the other two ovens off. I like my potatoes sort of crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Thanks, again.

Bill

TOOCOOL

Enlightened
Nuke for a while in the microwave until they start to soften, then finish them off in regular oven at 350 - 375 fast and tasty ;)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Turned the convection oven off about 15 minutes ago. Done perfect. Crispy on outside and soft on inside. Not sure I am sold on the convection oven. I will try out the gas oven next time. I have done, in the past, not this house, the micro wave start and finish in electric oven. They turn out ok, but not as good as when done in the same oven. I think, energy wise, I am better off doing that, but like good flashlights, there is no cheap, quick way to a good flashlight.

Bill

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just had a baked potato myself, and it had an especially thick and flaky crispy crunchy skin. I love that. The potato before baking had gone a little soft..I'm not sure how to induce this condition -- I may have had that one in the fridge a few days, then a couple days outside..but for sure it made a superior crunchy skin..

does anyone know what's going on here?

the best way to bake potatos, though, is in the ashes of a campfire by the lake. ;)

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I have never seen one of those, but my GE Advantium 120 oven (microwave/oven) uses a 500 watt halogen bulb and a 600 watt ceramic heater in the speed cooking mode, and uses a 1100 watt heater and a 375 watt ceramic heater to bake foods. I haven't baked or speed cooked yet with the GE, because the metal round black tray is missing.

Bill