Foxfury Rook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenix P1D-CE - your opinions?

Default Fenix P1D-CE - your opinions?

Well... What do you guys think of it? I like it because of the different light settings, I dont aways need 135 lums and sometimes I need something stronger then only 12. Anyone have the lights? What are your thoughts. Thanks!
    Last edited by DM51; 06-30-2008 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Edit thread title to clarify purpose of thread

Enlightened

Default Re: Fenix P1D-CE

I bought 2 of the premium Q5's that have 180lms.

These babies are twice a bright as the Gladius I have been packing. I love them. I want to use them for a great backup light when I go backpacking and hunting. They weigh absolutely nothing in my pocket.

The threads were dry, and I lubed them with silicon grease, now they are very smooth. I am very pleased.

Well im glad to report I bought the Fenix P2D CE. Decided to go with the P2D because of the tail switch. First fenix light and expecting good quality.

P.S.- Anyone have it?

I own a pair of P1Ds and a pair of P2Ds; I like the P1D as a showpiece, it's the one I get out if I'm around non-flashaholics and need a light. It's a guaranteed crowdpleaser every time, no one can believe something that small and simple puts out so much light. I prefer the P2D for general everyday use, the tailswitch operation makes it much faster to use and select the level you want over a twisty, plus you can start it on low, which makes it a great bedstand/reading light as well.

Enjoy your powerful and versatile new toy

i believe the P1D-CE Q5 has a sorta of underground "cult" following here...there are alot of fans out there...

i know mikesalt for one, always has his with him..

im a fan too...

Crenshaw

I bought the P1D CE Premium Q5 edition two weeks ago and liked it so much that I just took delivery on another one for my wife. For me its tiny, lightweight, built like a tank, puts put a bright and beautifully patterned beam. The guys at work are drooling over it so much that I've noticed them carefully studying the Fenix-store website, I think more devotees are on the way.

i have a few. one is very special. noticeably brighter than three P1D-Q5's, but on the fourth P1D-Q5, i scored one that is brighter than that very first P1D-CE i purchased.

sometimes that last Q5 is on a custom Leef body w/McClicky tailcap like the one pictured in Crenshaw's Post. sometimes it's on its original body.

have some P2D's, both CE's & Q5's. they are nice lights, but i still prefer the P1D-Q5 b/c that 16lm (instead of 12lm on the original -CE version) is just perfect for some of my nighttime walking uses. when i want the P2D's "clickyness", the P1D-Q5 head goes on the "McLeef" mentioned above.

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    i believe the P1D-CE Q5 has a sorta of underground "cult" following here...there are alot of fans out there...

Indeed. Really, what else can anyone ask of a flashlight? Small, affordable, reliable, high performance (brightness and/or runtime), good beam.

Makes you wonder if those high-priced brands and customs are really worth it, if you can get this quality at this size and price. Why get a flashlight that cost double and weighs triple to get only inferior performance?

Of course, we all know that the big bucks have marvellous things, and are usually worth it: for a collector and connoiseur, not for a discerning and well-advised flashlight user and consumer.

The P1DQ5 is great, and so is the Leef body with McGizmo switch!!!
    EDC: mostly Surefires. At work: Spectrolab Nightsun mounted on an EH101!

Flashaholic*

Anyone sell the fenix P1DQ5 in black? I dont think i can find any. I dont see any at fenix store and i dont see any on light hounds site.
    - EL Pentalux - Inova T2 - ROP 3D - SF E2e - Fenix P1 - Fenix L2T - Fenix LOD CE - ML1 - D-mini - Malkoff Devices 2D - EL QSP (finally arrived) -

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=354

it a picture of the silver one, but its black.

okay guys fess up, who else is in the P1D cult?

Crenshaw

P1D Cult Tritium Member..

I too have an affection for the P1D. I have a black one with an OP, FLuPIC, and a R2 WC emitter. I thought about the Leef body, but it would take away from it's compactness.

edit; I'd like to add that the OP reflector in the light is one of the replacements that are made by Fenix and sold at the Fenix-Store. They are different than the OPs that come with the light. These eliminate the dark ring around the hot spot.... beautiful beam.
    Last edited by Nake; 06-30-2008 at 06:32 AM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by StarHalo View Post
    P1D Cult Tritium Member..

StarHalo
    I am not familier with the tritium vile on your light. Must have for my lights. Do tell me how this is done, send links and cost.
    Righty

I must confess that I have a few of them, including the one in my pocket right now!!! Its hard to find anything wrong with it
    Fenix TK35 & 75 / Eagtac TX25C2/Jetbeam RRT-0/Fenix TK10 /Nitecore EC25/Olight S10/Photon Rexlight / ...and on and on!!

I also have Q5 premium in olive, it was my first foray into LEDs (thanks to you guys ). It is definitely a crowd pleaser. Small, rugged, and crazy bright. Really want to get the Leef body for it but not really into the two-tone look. Note to future buyers, the leef clicky body only comes in raw and black.

StarHalo tell us more about the tritium P1D!

Default Re: Fenix P1D-CE - your opinions?

for those whom want to know about the tritium P1D, this is just a simple keyring throught the split pin, the tritium is a chemical inside the keyring that will glow for ten years, very usefull i have a few but expensive for what they are.

LINK

Im sure if you ebay them you will find more variations of colour/size

Quote Originally Posted by abarth_1200 View Post
    the tritium is a chemical inside the keyring that will glow for ten years
    Its halflife is a bit over 12 years. Meaning after said amount of time it will be half as bright. It will glow for a LONG time.
    01001100011010010111011001100101001000000110100101 10111000100000011101000110100001100101001000000110 0100011000010111001001101011
    00101100000011010000101001100001011011100110010000 10000001110100011010000110010100100000011101110110 1111011100100110110001100100
    00100000011010010111001100100000011101000110100001 11001001100101011000010111010001100101011011100110 1001011011100110011100101110

I have two, and I always carry one around with me. Without a doubt, one of my best and most versatile lights. The -CE now sports a R2 WG emitter and the Lux3 version now sports a SSC USV0H. The ONLY way it could be better is if the low and medium modes were switched. I didn't purchase a P1D until over a year into my flashaholicism because they only ran properly on primary lithiums, but due to their circuit efficiency, that one cell runs forever!

Got the P1D CE last week. Plenty of white light. Great little flashlight. Now I can't wait for my Nitecore to come in.

Enlightened

I think the P1D Q5 is the perfect EDC. It weighs nothing, is super bright, has the perfect balance of spot and fill, a beautlful beam quality and tint,and the twisty is extremely reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by righty View Post
    I am not familier with the tritium vile on your light. Must have for my lights. Do tell me how this is done, send links and cost.
    The tritium on my P1D is a Merkava DIY II Tritium Glowring, available in various colors and a couple different configurations for only $20 each, see them here: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=169870 . Merkava has different colors available at different times, so you have to check back occasionally if you're looking for a specific color that's not in stock. They're notably brighter and more compact than the usual commercial mass-produced tritium keyrings.

I don't EDC my tritium P1D, it's my nightstand light - even in pitch black I can see plainly where my flashlight is at all times. A lot of people spend extra money to buy aftermarket split rings that'll fit the tiny hole on the P1D, but here's a tip: Just remove the small split ring that's on the lobster claw clip included with your Fenix, it fits perfectly and is just big enough so that the Merkava vial hangs flush right next to the body of the P1D.

I'd like to know more about the emitter upgrade (esp. kavvika, nate). Did you guys DIY? Please gimme some details, I'm intrigued.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Crenshaw View Post
    https://www.fenix-store.com/product_...roducts_id=354

it a picture of the silver one, but its black.

okay guys fess up, who else is in the P1D cult?

Crenshaw
    Oooh oooh I am! it was my first "real" LED light, and was my EDC until 2 weeks ago when I got a P2D. I think it's an amazing little light. My only complaint is that it is really little, and is harder for me to use in some ways than the P2D. Since the P2D is not much bigger, that wins out. Still, the P1D is so small that I usually just take that one along too

Now, if the P2D just had a forward clickie instead of a reverse...

will these lights accept rcr123a batteries or is the voltage to high on hte li-ions and the p2d will only accept cr123a's

i really like the look of this light and the price isn't bad either. i would just love to use rcr123a's insted of cr123's that i would have to keep throwing out.

thanks,
    Mitch

My Q5 version accepts RCR123 with no problem, even though most folks lose the lower modes until the battery voltage drops.

Quote Originally Posted by GregU2 View Post
    I think the P1D Q5 is the perfect EDC. It weighs nothing, is super bright, has the perfect balance of spot and fill, a beautlful beam quality and tint,and the twisty is extremely reliable.
    What he said . It's also very compact . I like it alot . Atm, I can't see it being replaced as my EDC (nooo! I'm beginning to use flashaholic vocabulary!). I've had six-odd months flawless use from it, and can see another six at least.

Wink2 Re: Fenix P1D-CE - your opinions?

I have 3 Q5 versions. 2 black and 1 silver. The Leef body really transforms the light IMO, well worth the money. If you are picky about the beam make sure you get the OP reflector. Great little light. Also if you get a Leef body, make sure you lube it before assembly. A couple cases of cold welding have occurred.
    Last edited by MarNav1; 06-30-2008 at 08:03 PM.
    Reality is usually scoffed at and illusion is usually king. But in the battle for survival of western civilization it will be reality and not illusion or delusion that determines what the future will bring.

Quote Originally Posted by MARNAV1 View Post
    A couple cases of cold welding have occurred.

Crenshaw

wow that is great thank you

i was also wondering about the p3d ce will that take rcr123a's as well?

Thanks,
    Mitch