The Fenix-Store        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporting posts

Super Moderator

Exclamation Reporting posts

Members are encouraged to report posts that they think are in violation of CPF rules. These would include spam, advertising, rude or troll posts, cross-posting and posts in the wrong forum.

There is a report button at the bottom left of each post. Click on it for the post you wish to report, and give your reason in the dialog box why you are reporting it. An e-mail is then automatically sent to moderators of that forum, and whoever is around will deal with it.

Please do NOT use this button for frivolous matters. It is only for reporting Rule violations and potentially serious matters. Or to bring attention to a misplaced post or one you want moved to the correct area.

Thank you for your help!
    Last edited by Norm; 03-03-2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Updated
    Resistance is futile...

Super Moderator

Default Re: Reporting posts

Additional text previously contained in post #1, now unnecessary:

When you report a post, please also post immediately below it, saying “Reported.” That way, other members will know it has already been reported, and they won’t need to report it themselves. This will avoid an avalanche of PMs and reports being sent to moderators all about the same post.

If you think a post may be spam, it probably is - so report it. If it turns out not to be, no harm has been done.
    Last edited by DM51; 01-11-2009 at 09:45 AM.
    Resistance is futile...

That's where that button is! I looked for it and it was right in front of my eyes!

Thanks and sorry for the constant stream of PMs.
    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

A very helpful reminder to those of us who may have forgotten what that particular icon means.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

If I click on the Report Icon of a suspect post and just say something like, "This looks like spam to me", and send it, do you need a link to the post or does each post Report Icon contain that information and seen by you when received. I see nothing in the message box.

Quote Originally Posted by Lite_me View Post
    If I click on the Report Icon of a suspect post and just say something like, "This looks like spam to me", and send it, do you need a link to the post or does each post Report Icon contain that information and seen by you when received. I see nothing in the message box.
    A link to the reported post is automatically included in the message sent to the staff, if it's set up like other vbulletin forums.

Super Moderator

Correct. The post is linked automatically, as Aluminous says.
    Resistance is futile...

Got it!

KUL!!! so that's what that icon is for! .

Flashaholic

Already reported two rotten spammers

regards...
    Fenix L0D, P1D CE Q5, P3D Q5, P3D with aspherical Lens, T1, Barbolight U-15, Microfire T 503 , K500R, K3500R , Brightstar 24W (3x), Amondotech 35W (4x), Polarion Helios PH40 AND PH50 , WiseLed-Tactical 1500, Black Mag 6185 (100 Watt), 11D Mag (from Josey), 6-Q5 C-Mag (from "download"), Triple P7-3D Mag with Cooling Fan (from sabrewolf), Xevision 75 Watt HID (aka "Barnburner")

Flashaholic

Is the discussion of illegal activity sufficient to report a post?

Super Moderator

Yes.
    Resistance is futile...

I never used that Icon but I have reported (PM'd) posts to staff. However I have never added a post stating I reported it. Is it necessary to reveal oneself, or is being anonymous to the forum acceptable? Especially when the post may be ambiguous and one may be incorrect in the interpretation of the post, only making oneself look hebetudinous for disclosing it.

Thanks Dave

Bill
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
    Albert Einstein

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthespot View Post
    Is it necessary to reveal oneself, or is being anonymous to the forum acceptable?
    Not necessary at all. It is perfectly OK if you wish to remain anonymous. The report button is confidential, and has the same status as a PM. By using the button, your identity is only revealed to a member of staff, who will not make it public or reveal it to the person you reported.

There is no obligation at all to make an additional post saying “reported”. It is just a suggestion for something members may consider in the case of obvious spam posts, where there might otherwise be numerous reports made about the same post.
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    It is perfectly OK if you wish to remain anonymous.
    Thanks Dave

Bill
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hitthespot View Post
    ...Especially when the post may be ambiguous and one may be incorrect in the interpretation of the post, only making oneself look hebetudinous for disclosing it.

Thanks Dave

Bill
    Definition of the word hebetudinous:

1. Lacking mental and physical alertness and activity: lethargic, sluggish, stupid, stuporous, torpid. Slang dopey. See action/inaction.
    2. Lacking in intelligence: blockheaded, dense, doltish, dumb, obtuse, stupid, thickheaded, thick-witted. Informal thick. Slang dimwitted, dopey. See ability/inability.

I see no reference or insinuation that this word is directed or meant to refer to any particular group of people based on race and/or creed.

and it wasn't.

I just meant that if I happened to report a post that didn't need reported because I didn't understand the post, I wouldn't want to look stupid to everyone because I posted that I reported it.

Sorry if I was mis-understood. This post was strickly about me.

Bill
    Last edited by Hitthespot; 07-02-2008 at 08:43 PM.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator

It is appreciated when members report spam and even post "reported" in a post but please refrain from quoting the offending post. If a spammer is quoted and that quote remains after the original post is deleted, the spammer has accomplished his goal.

There's something else to keep in mind, when you post "reported" in a follow-up post. If it's a spammer, we're going to be removing their spam posts. Since we can remove all of their posts without even seeing the follow-up posts. That means your "reported" post is going to be stuck there without appearing to have any rhyme or reason. Hopefully someone that posted above your "reported" post won't think you're referencing their post.

Perhaps something like, "OP's post reported."

Or "Topic-starter's post reported."
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Flashaholic*

I just reported a couple of spam posts. Why is there a 30 second wait between when you report one to when you can report another one? Its a pain when your trying to do some good.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    Perhaps something like, "OP's post reported."

Or "Topic-starter's post reported."
    It's not really an issue when it was a whole thread started by the spammer. It's when the spam is posted as a reply in an existing thread that the confusion of "what post were they talking about?" becomes a problem, and those phrases would not apply at all.

I suggest the following for any "spam's been reported" posts:

"Spam post from SpammerUsernameHere reported."

There, no confusion possible.

Flashaholic*

Can't the mods look under all of the posts deleted and if there is a post that says "removed" under it then it can get deleted as well? That would make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminous View Post
    It's not really an issue when it was a whole thread started by the spammer. It's when the spam is posted as a reply in an existing thread that the confusion of "what post were they talking about?" becomes a problem, and those phrases would not apply at all.

I suggest the following for any "spam's been reported" posts:

"Spam post from SpammerUsernameHere reported."

There, no confusion possible.
    I see what you mean. Another option would be, "Post # __ reported."

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    I see what you mean. Another option would be, "Post # __ reported."
    But I'm pretty sure the in-thread post numbers shift when one is removed from a thread (for example, if the spam post was #6 in a thread and your post is #7, then when the spam post is removed, yours becomes #6). There are also the internal unique post ID numbers (for example, yours is 2546080), but getting those is a bit more involved than most people would bother with. Stating the username is really the only thing that works without confusion or being a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Aluminous View Post
    But I'm pretty sure the in-thread post numbers shift when one is removed from a thread (for example, if the spam post was #6 in a thread and your post is #7, then when the spam post is removed, yours becomes #6). There are also the internal unique post ID numbers (for example, yours is 2546080), but getting those is a bit more involved than most people would bother with. Stating the username is really the only thing that works without confusion or being a hassle.

Ooops! Forgot about the post numbers shifting after a post is removed.

I guess sticking with a User-name is best.

Administrator

What's wrong with simply stating "Spam reported"? Some spammers user names are spam. Wouldn't that make stating their name be almost like spamming?

Quote Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
    What's wrong with simply stating "Spam reported"? Some spammers user names are spam. Wouldn't that make stating their name be almost like spamming?
    I'm honestly not sure.

as soon as i read all this i ran into a spam post. i think it works well saying "[username]'s spam post reported"

The mod should remove the spam and the post saying it was reported. This way there will be no confusion.
    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast