RMSK, Inc.        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reporting posts

Administrator

Default Re: Reporting posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Aficionado View Post
    The mod should remove the spam and the post saying it was reported. This way there will be no confusion.
    Ideally that would be the best thing to do but with the amount of traffic and spam CPF gets it isn't always possible to do so. Sometimes there are several spammers working at the same time creating posts as quickly as they can. When we removed it, we generally delete all of their posts at the same time and don't even see any follow up posts as Empath has already stated.

Quote Originally Posted by Empath View Post
    There's something else to keep in mind, when you post "reported" in a follow-up post. If it's a spammer, we're going to be removing their spam posts. Since we can remove all of their posts without even seeing the follow-up posts. That means your "reported" post is going to be stuck there without appearing to have any rhyme or reason. Hopefully someone that posted above your "reported" post won't think you're referencing their post.

you guys did a good job of removing my report post for a spam while the spam was removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight Aficionado View Post
    The mod should remove the spam and the post saying it was reported. This way there will be no confusion.
    That's what appears to happen a great deal of the time when the spammer creates a new thread for "look at my fake cheap crap I'm selling". When they post in existing threads it gets trickier and a "spam reported" post might be missed, but is it really that big of a deal?

Marduke - I was replying to other posters problems.

Sometimes a Reported Post is left and people think that the post above is the culprit, but the offending post was removed. One person suggested saying Post # is reported. Someone else reminded them that the numbers change when a post is deleted. Another person said, just add CPF Name reported. Someone then said that sometimes the CPF Name is spam.

So that's when I suggested the Mods remove both. Personally I don't care. I can easily infer that the offending post was removed. I was just trying to help.
    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

Flashaholic*

I know that the mods sometimes just go through and delete all posts by a single user and don't look at the posts below. What if you reported your own post (or someone else's) that said "Reported" in it. In the reason for report box you could write "remove report post" or something. Would that work for the mods?

Super Moderator

There was a case recently where a respected member of long standing made a good and measured post on a particular topic. The very next post in the thread happened to be an unpleasant piece of spam. Almost immediately, another respected member posted a comment about the spammer: “Well that stupid post is the last one you’ll be making here, buddy,” or words to that effect.

Soon afterwards, a moderator came along and deleted the spam post. What was left was the knowledgeable and sensible post from respected member #1, immediately followed by the angry post from respected member #2.

It looked as if the two members had been having a blazing row, which of course was very far from being the case. It was actually extremely funny, but it was perfectly obvious what had happened and it did not even really need the explanation that followed a few posts later.

I have removed 3 spammers today (or maybe it is 4) and deleted their posts. Where I have seen subsequent posts saying “Spam reported” I have then deleted those posts too for reasons of clarity and because they were no longer required; however this probably isn’t going to happen in every case. My point is that I don’t think it matters too much – in these cases it is pretty obvious what has happened, and people are sensible enough to see that.
    Resistance is futile...

Flashaholic

How does a person report a piece of spam in the private mail box from a member?
    P1; P1 CE Q2; P1D CE Q5; L2T; L0D; ARC AAA-P DS; Gerber LX-3.0; HDS Rotary 200

Administrator

If you are getting spam as a private message, you may forward it to a CPF staff member.

tried to report a post but got a database error.
    its in the cafe under the plasma vs lcd thread.
    f bomb in hoopleheads comment about thx.

Super Moderator

There are currently (Oct 5-6) some problems with the reporting system - reports are not being received.
    Resistance is futile...

I found your referenced post, Snakebite. I bleeped it.

Always enjoy a good laugh if done in the right spirit with a little . Where do we report mods/admin with avatars that exceed the max size.

Quote Originally Posted by CampingLED View Post
    Where do we report mods/admin with avatars that exceed the max size.
    You can report them to me. Send a money order for $39.99 along with your complaint to my address. PM me for contact info.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Quote Originally Posted by Monocrom View Post
    You can report them to me. Send a money order for $39.99 along with your complaint to my address. PM me for contact info.
    They are doing such a good job. Think I should let them go and buy a new light with the $$$.

Sigh Re: Reporting posts

Why i can not send the thread ??

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by silvialights View Post
    Why i can not send the thread ??
    ATTN: NEW MEMBERS!!
    Resistance is futile...

Is reporting the "Spam Reported" post O.K. if the actual spam post has been deleted?
    If you don't use a flashlight, you'll probably fall off a cliff, get hurt, or die - Hooked on Fenix
    CPF: Because 6-figure illumination just isn't enough. - maxa beam
    As a backup to my backup to back up my backup's backup. - Roger999

Super Moderator

If it has been deleted, you won't be able to see it.
    Resistance is futile...

Quote Originally Posted by DM51 View Post
    If it has been deleted, you won't be able to see it.
    Say a post in a thread is spam and is reported and deleted. He's asking if the post below it saying "spammer reported" can then be reported for deletion.

It probably could, but it wouldn't likely be a very big deal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12