Surefire Turboheads

Till

Newly Enlightened
How effectively do these extend the range of any given light?

Lately, I've been considering buying one for my G2Z.

Do they reduce the lumens or runtime in any way?

generic808

Enlightened
For your G2Z, you'd have to go with the KT1, but I would recommend extending your light to a 3-cell or getting a C3/9P to run the KT2. Not only will it balance out better with the huge head, but you get almost double the light output with the same runtime. 65 lumens vs. 110 lumens.

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire TurboHead Kits use the same amount of light and focus into a tighter beam.

Thus the 6P's P60 65 lumen counterpart is the N1 lamp, part of the KT1 TurboHead Kit. Same output and runtime, tighter beam.

The 9P's P90 105 lumen counterpart was the discontinued N2 lamp, formally part of the KT2 TurboHead Kit. Same output and runtime, tighter beam.

The KT2 has been using the MN15 lamp for quite some time. It's got slightly higher output 125 lumens and the light output is usually brighter and whiter than the N2 lamp even though the runtime is effectively the same (60 min rating).

When concentrating a beam into a tighter spot for illuminating things at longer ranges it helps to have higher output as well.

I agree that the KT2 should be the minimum output considered 'worth it' for the bulk and weight of the TurboHead bezel.

That said, I just use an M6 most of the time.
On rare occasions when I want a light-weight alternative to the M6 I'll use an M3T but with the MN16 High Output Lamp Assembly (even though the runtime is rather short). The MN16 lamp can be used instead of the MN15 in the "KT" TurboHead on a 9P.

Rather than extending your G2Z using an A19 and getting a KT2 I suggest you seriously consider getting an M3T, M4 or even an M6. No point messing about in my opinion!

Al :D

Last edited:

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey Al, would it be worthwhile using a KT1/KT2 with my C2/C3...im looking for throw that will rival Tiablo/DBS

Crenshaw

generic808

Enlightened
I have neither the Tiablo or DBS, but I have a KT2 on one of my C3's and I love it. I guess you can call it the "poor man's" M3T although I have an M3T too. My current C3/KT2 set-up is in black and I also have a C3 in HAIII which I'm debating on whether or not to get a Turbo head for. Most likely I will since I never use my C3's otherwise. Or maybe I should throw it up in one of my B/S/T garage sales :whistle:

Last edited:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
I have neither the Tiablo or DBS, but I have a KT2 on one of my C3's and I love it. I guess you can call it the "poor man's" M3T although I have an M3T too. My current C3/KT2 set-up is in black and I also have a C3 in HAIII which I'm debating on whether or not to get a Turbo head for. Most likely I will since I never use my C3's otherwise. Or maybe I should throw it up in one of my B/S/T garage sales :whistle:
Oh come on now, don't tease me!

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
back in the days when I used Halogens in this size/output-class, I used my 9N nearly daily.
At some time I also thought I need to have a turbohead. :rolleyes:
1st of all it adds so much to the diameter/size of the light, it is awful to pocket.

when in open field, the reach is more or less identical (means if some object can be spottet with one of the lights, it works the same with the other one, too) but the turbo makes a brighter dot of light at that "end-of-view"-distance.
not really important compared to the added size.

but there is ONE use where the difference is very obvious, thats forest/wood.
Imagine You are standing at a road inside a forest, brush around.
the normal head illuminates everything around You (has effect on the night adapted eyes, they switch brightness setting down) and does not go very far on that road.
The turbo on the contrary does not give too much sidespill (eyes stay wide open), the brush gets a glim, but somewhere there, at the very end of the view along that road, there is the light dot.
At these circumstances the turbo shines (but the normal head is best in every other field)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
But seriously, you have been here long enough to know that you should bore your C3 for 18500 support :) .

well i havnt even got my C3 yet..:ohgeez:

its on the way from cfromc, get this...im gonna use a solarforce strike bezel head, bk, and a Z41.....strike baton light anyone?..:sssh:

I was actually thinking of building a tower module from either an old MN series bulb, or an AW aluminium tower..

Crenshaw