• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

How do I select a light engine?

wsmd

Newly Enlightened
Here is another newbie plea for enlightenment.

How do I choose another light engine for my backup AlephMc-Mule? My principal light has the the GDuP CREE LE (GDuPCQ4LE).

What would be a reasonable choice for the backup?

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Will

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you just want a single level light then the GD seoul or GD Cree LE would be my recommendation.

Another recommendation would be the GDuP Seoul Natural white version that I'm making a few of.

The natural white Seoul LEDs are not as yellow/orange tint as most of the general populas of warm whites out there. You still get a higher CRI over the regular white LEDs.

Wayne

wsmd

Newly Enlightened
Wayne,

That sounds interesting. What difference would I notice with the GDuP Seoul Natural white version versus the GDuP CREE LE (GDuPCQ4LE) in the principal light?

Remember, I'm a newbie. I do appreciate your advice!

Regards,
Will

GeorgeMaggos

Newly Enlightened
Another recommendation would be the GDuP Seoul Natural white version that I'm making a few of.

The natural white Seoul LEDs are not as yellow/orange tint as most of the general populas of warm whites out there. You still get a higher CRI over the regular white LEDs.

Wayne

Hey Wayne,

the questions from the OP Will interest me as well.

I have just ordered the GDuP Seoul LE (3 level driver) [GDuPSP4U] from your shop is this the new LE (GDuP Seoul Natural white) you are referring to in your post that your making just a few of?

Just like the OP Will I have already bought the GDuP CREE LE (3 level driver) [GDuPCQ4LE] from your shop & I have installed it in my Aleph McClickie-Mule set & it works great thanks for all your effort. :goodjob:

Like the OP Will I am also wondering is there any noticeable difference between these 2 LE's? :help:

Wayne:thanks: for your time ;)

~George

wsmd

Newly Enlightened
George,

Thanks for resuscitating my question. For a while I thought I was the one and only interested in this information!

Regards,
Will

GeorgeMaggos

Newly Enlightened
George,
Thanks for resuscitating my question. For a while I thought I was the one and only interested in this information!
Regards,
Will

Hey Will,

nice to meet you I am a newbie myself & am trying to learn all I can :wave:

Thanks for starting the thread I guess we are kinda in the same boat so to speak :) Take care.

~George

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
The difference between the regular white LED, natural white and warm white can be found in the datasheets for the different manufacturers.

The standard Cool white LED found in most products uses a blue LED and yellow phosphor to generate a white light source. In the vast majority of situations this cool white LED serves the end user quite well.

The other types of LEDs like natural white or warm white have additional red phosphor or other phosphors to add the missing reds in the cool white source. One area where this is noticeable is skin tones look palish or even goulish under a standard cool white LED. Shine you LED light on your arm.

Since I basically have screwed up the whole batch of natural whites GDUP LES of which I won't explain I don't have any updates as I am back to square one. I'd have to buy another batch of LEDs and try again.

For more specifics on LEDs

http://www.zled.com/en/product/prd/zpowerLED.asp

http://www.luxeon.com/pdfs/DS45.PDF

http://www.cree.com/products/xlamp7090_xre.asp#xredocs

Wayne

Ms_SS

Enlightened
Here are some other ideas you might want to consider when choosing a LE.

A GDuP is a 3-level buck/boost driver with a microprocessor interface. It will work with a single level clicky or twisty tail cap.
----------------------------
A GD is a 1-2 level buck/boost driver. Both will run on single cell primary or rechargeable battery.

NG is a 1-2 level boost which runs on a primary cell only.

SOB is a 1-2 level buck which runs on 2 cells.

The GD, NG, SOB uses a 2-stage switch to get 2 levels.

Read the description of the converters to get the specs.

Light engine used depends on battery configuration and Vf of the LED(s) used. Cree, Luxeon and Seoul LEDs have different focal points and specifications. Each works with specific reflectors and heads.

There are some informative threads that discuss these issues.

wsmd

Newly Enlightened
Okay.

We just ordered the GDuP Seoul LE (3 level driver) (GDuPSP4U) from the web site. Orders from the Shoppe have been getting here within just 3 - 4 days, so we will look forward to having a working light before this weekend!

dabrews

Newly Enlightened
Hi there guys!

I'm another one of those newbies...I'm still trying to figure out how to match up emitters with the most appropriate components (I still don't really have a good handle on what all I really need besides the emitter, epoxy, some kind of driver, heatsink, and what else?). Any key principles/theories I should be keeping in mind other than try not to get it too hot? : )

Also, has anyone tried the TerraLUX MiniStar2 TLE-5EX MiniStar2 EXTREME with CREE XRE-7090 LED for Mini Maglite 2AA Flashlights? I was looking at the Sandwich Shoppe for something comparable but just don't know enough yet and I am missing the way to ask anyone any questions there.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions and Take-Care!

Dave

da.gee

Enlightened
Another thing to consider is what kind of batteries an LE will use. The GDuP is flexible being able to use either rechargeables or primaries. I think it is a great LE. I put one in an A19 head with a McR 19XR and it is very nice light.