Will the old 123 twisty work with a new Arc-LSH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gandalf

Enlightened
Somewhere I read that the new Arc-LSH was a smaller diameter than the older Arc-LS's. I don't like the Kroll switch on the current Arc-LS's; and I'm thinking of getting an Arc-LSH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But I'd want to put a 123 twisty pack on it. Anyone recently buy an Arc-LSH, and put an old 123 twisty pack on it? TIA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hi Gandalf-

I just bought a brand new Arc LSH-P a couple weeks ago (last week of March 2003) and I also bought an Arc 1x123 twisty tailcap switch from this is nascar... the twisty tailcap fits perfectly on my new Arc LSH-P. Plus, it turns on the light with an easy twist of the tailcap.

I often trade out the tailcaps when I want to go ultra-compact; the twisty tailcap is just a bit shorter than the pushbutton tailcap, not including the length of the rubberized pushbutton switch. They're both quite useful and have their own purpose in my opinion, although I find myself using the pushbutton tailcap more and more often nowadays during everyday general lighting uses.

Hope that helps out -

-Jim

onelight

Enlightened
Gandaf I bought a twisty from arc that they sold in the seconds section,it would not turn the light on as was warned in arc's web sight, but with a slight mod it works on both my LSH-S & my LSL-P both ls are new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Fusion

Newly Enlightened
I just got a Arc LSH-P and the twisty works fine. The only thing is if i shake it sometimes the light turns on intermintently.

paulr

Flashaholic
What's the deal with the twisty? Won't it be offered any more? I find the tail switch makes the light too big. I'd rather use the twisty and keep it small. A smaller diameter tube (like Surefire E1/E2) would be nice too, even if it means the head being larger than the tube.

Gandalf

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
What's the deal with the twisty? Won't it be offered any more? I find the tail switch makes the light too big. I'd rather use the twisty and keep it small. A smaller diameter tube (like Surefire E1/E2) would be nice too, even if it means the head being larger than the tube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks to all who answered; my small tax refund, which I filed about a week ago, is going for a Arc-LSH-P. I got a good price. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aside from my opinion that the Kroll switch is a POS (put it in your pocket, and it has a 100% chance of getting turned on, for a greater or lesser period of time, in any given day, considering that I have other things in my pocket.....) I too greatly prefer the smaller size of the 123 twisty.

In fact, if the 123 twisty wouldn't have worked, I wouldn't have bought an Arc-LSH-P. That's how little I think of the Kroll switch. And to be perfectly clear: it's not *just* the size, although that's a pretty big factor. Kroll switches are crap. Put one on a $120+ light, and you have a $120+ piece of crap. I can't believe they were ever made 'standard' on the Arc-LS, after all of the talk about keeping the size down, the quality as high as possible, and lets not forget that it's nice to set an Arc-LS on end to light up an area. Try that with one of those crappy $4 Kroll switches on an Arc-LS. Just my opinion, of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

C

chuahc

Hi
I just brought a ARc LS2 as well and the power pack 123 does not works.
Can you please teach me how you modify it?
Thanks in advance
Han Chuan
Singapore

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Chuahc. Welcome to CPF.
is your power pack a twisty or a clickie? If it is a twisty, then maybe your version is not compatible with it, that is why the twistie was discontinued. If, on the other hand, yours was a clickie, check the connection; remove the kroll and clean it thoroughly. if it still does not work, i don't know else. perhaps yours was a failed one? i don't want to suggest that but there is still a possibility.

btw, did you click the switch? (don't want to mean anything, but just in case you forget)

C

chuahc

Hi
Thanks for all your help.
I manage to resolve the issue by inserting some foil into the end, now the flashlight works fine.
Have a Nice Weekend!
Han Chuan

Gandalf

Enlightened
I received my Arc-LSH-P, and my spare 123 twisty works like it was made for it. I simply cannot imagine using the light with the clickie switch, but to each his own, I guess.

I really helps if you have one of the foam washers to put in the head; I had a spare on hand.

The Arc-LSH-P is a very nice light; the beam is quite tight, but with plenty of sidespill. And it's very white, compared to any Luxeon Star I've ever seen; with a *tiny* bit of greenish in it, which can only really be seen if you compare it to another LS light.. I'm not sure that its worth all of the extra money to get the premium model, as a bluish tinge isn't objectionable; especially compared to the violet found in virtually all KL-1 heads. But I like mine, and as I am fond of my E2 + KL1, which has been my EDC light for so long, I simply have to carry both.

I put a couple of layers of white electrical tape around the twisty body, and this makes the Arc-LS very handy for holding in my teeth; much more so than the larger SF E2 + KL1.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i actually prefer a blue tint to a green tint /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received my twisty and it works great with my LSH-P. The "shake for intermittent on" issue only seems to occur with mine if you leave it just barely twisted off. A little more twist off makes it secure from incidental ons.

Where does one get those foam insert washers to prevent battery rattle?

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
DSAllen: i think you can send a SASE to arc and they will send you some free of charge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome! make sure you do what jack mentioned and specify what you want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.