Coleman Cree XR-E headlight

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
105 lumen 3AAA Coleman Cree XR-E headlight

I just bought a Coleman Max 3AAA l.e.d. headlamp from Walmart in Poway, CA for $25. The light has a Cree XR-E l.e.d. and claims 105 lumens on high. I think this is the first Cree headlight at a brick and mortar store with more than one level. It claims 6 hours on high, 20 hours on low, and 25 on the two red l.e.d.s. The two point bracket (pivot point) seems strong and does a good job of keeping the light from moving up or down on it's own. The low level seems to be about 20 lumens by my guess. Settings are adjusted by turning a dial on the right side of the bracket. It is set up pretty well. Turn it one click back towards you for red l.e.d.s to preserve night vision without going through brighter settings. Turn it away from you one click for high (when you need high, you need it to come on first), and two clicks forward for low. This U.I. should actually work best for most people. The Cree l.e.d. puts out a wide floody beam with a decent sized hotspot. There are no donut holes in the beam, though there is one or two rings if you go white wall hunting at close range. The reflector is textured with a small smooth ring directly around the l.e.d. (probably gives it better throw). I doubt the light is regulated since there's a large resistor in the battery compartment. Light doesn't seem to be waterproof (nor does it claim to be). I found out that a Jakstrap is the perfect size to replace the current headband strap (not that there's anything wrong with the one supplied). I just found it useful to be able to attach on a backup light like a Fenix P2D or P3D in case the headlight fails or the batteries die. I think this light is a step forward from the River Rock Cree headlight since it has more than one level and uses normal batteries. Next steps toward a better headlight will be making one that is waterproof with current based regulation. I bought this light because my PT Quad headlights were cracking and wearing out and I needed a replacement. I couldn't wait for Princeton Tec to update the EOS and Quad. However, if they do update, I might have to buy a new headlight (if something better doesn't come along first).

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Cree XR-E headlight at Walmart for $25

It's sort of the same light as in that link, except the one I got is 105 lumens and has a Cree XR-E l.e.d.. The one in the link has an XR-C. Other than that, it's the same light. I think the runtimes are the same as the one in the link too, just about twice as bright/efficient.

Last edited:

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yay, I finaly found a light mentioned here in my local store. I swear the Walmart's and Target's here never have anything. They had 2 of these in stock, I took one. The other one looked very off center, but was probably just a matter of taking it apart and putting it back together. They also had the Coleman max 3aaa handheld that claimed 135 lumens.

Now, to just find the little AAA dorcy with a nichia.

BlackDecker

Enlightened

Nice looking light... Looks like the design the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme should have been.

Too bad it didn't come with 1AA instead of 3AAA's.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't know why I succumbed and bought one of these things. :ohgeez: I could buy some serious lights with all the money I've spent on cheapies. :broke: And I promised myself I'd never buy anther multi AAA light again. But I had just hit Circuit City and am flush with AAA eneloops from the closeout.

Anyway I haven't taken it fully apart yet, but there is no attempt at waterprofing at all. Thats OK because there is no circuit to short circuit. Just rinse with clean water shake it out and set it in the sun to dry.

No where near 105 lumens on Nimh. It is just a tad bit brighter on max than my SSCP4 mod EOS. The beam is pretty good. Very wide spill which is what you want in a headlamp. my guess is around 60 Lm on Nimh. Since it is direct drive it will be more on Alkalines but the output will drop faster.

This will be gifted to a friend. It will be much better than her old halogen PT solo.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

The only headlight I have to compare this too is my streamlight enduro, I must say it soundly kicks it's butt. Have only run it on primaries so far.

The swivel mechanism is pretty cool too. I don't really like the battery case. The batteries were extremely tight with the included Duracells. Also, I worry for the plastic clip that keeps the door on. So, for durability, I think I can only give it a 5, but for light output, at least a 7!

The red 5mm leds surprised me with there brightness as well, indoors at least, but the focus on them is a little funny. Either one is higher than the other, or my head is crooked :)

HookedonFenix, still liking yours?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I still like mine. By the way, your head isn't crooked. The red l.e.d.s in mine have hotspots one on top of the other, which seems strange since the beams should be side by side. I tried mine out on a overnight backpacking trip up Mt. San Jacinto last weekend. I wish it had a third lower setting. I tried seeing my freeze dried dinner at night with it. The white low was too bright for this task and the red l.e.d.s didn't make my dinner look very good. I had fun putting my Fenix P3D Q5 in the Jakstrap headband and turning both lights on their highest settings. It's nice having a 320 lumen headlight. I wish I had more time to use the lights on the trip, but that hike wore me out and I went to bed at 9:30 p.m. I took Marion Mountain Trail, the steepest, fastest route up Mt. San Jacinto. 6 miles each way, 4800 ft. elevation gain, with a 27 lb. pack. No water available until you're half way up the mountain. My legs are still sore, but it was worth the awesome views and I like a challenge.

hopkins

Enlightened

sounds like a great hike Hooked!
Now with the advent of led headlamps I look forward to the sun going down
so I can start using them.

DaveG

Enlightened

Took mine back it had a greenish tint that I dont like,the store had no headlights so I picked up the 2-aa Coleman Cree that so far seems good,nice white beam and well made for the price.

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened

Does anybody have the model number of this light?
Please post if so.
Thanks.:)

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is one of the times I chose to throw out the packaging, darn it, and I can't find a model # on it anywhere. But, it says Coleman Max Led Performance, and it looks just like the XR-C model found here: http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4343-704&categoryid=1116

I am 99% sure it said XR-E on the packaging though, just like the 2AA handheld did as well, and it should be like 24.99

mattchase

Newly Enlightened

The model number is 2000001571.

headlamp.jpg

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, went to use this headlamp a little while ago to install a hard drive, and the batteries are dead. I don't think I have over 20 minutes use on these. This could be a problem. I am not in love with the switch, and I can only guess for some reason it wasn't positively off, and drained the batteries. No light was on though, so I don't really understand how that happened.

Would like to hear from other users what there experience has been with leaving the batteries in it. They have only been in it for 10 days.

hopkins

Enlightened

Hi Vegasf6 -dead batteries!!
OK, you can guess the first thing any CPF'er does is measure the batteries with a DVM to see if they are really dead?
If you don't have a multi-meter put them in another device to test their 'deadness'.

Does the switch have a positive feel/click or is it sloppy?
-hopkins

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Between .32 and .35 volts apiece.

The switch has some feedback, but not a lot. The switch mechanism is also part of the pressure mounting system, so there is some friction against it, then each of the 4 stops is more like a "slope" than a positive click. The "resistance" or feedback you feel lessens at any of the positions but is easy to go past. There is a small philips screw that holds the switch cover on, I just backed it out a little, might feel a tad better.

Even at less than 1 volt total I still got the slightest light from the 2 red side leds, but of course it wouldn't light the Cree. I just stuck some standard nimh cells in there that I had to charge up first. I was too lazy to set up the quick charger, so it took about 2 hours to get those ready. My eneloops are in something else and I didn't feel like finding them either :)

So, the trusty Streamlight Enduro to the rescue again. I have to say considering I have had that light for 3 or 4 years, it is still a quality piece for an antique.

hopkins

Enlightened

So from the evidence there must be a high resistance path somewhere in the light. Did some assembler at the factory spill some salty soup on it or what?

I'd be pretty mad and probably just remove the batteries, then pour some 100% (91% ok)
iso alcohol into it and shake awhile. Like making a martini! Let dry:mad:

A less radical option would be to take it apart for swabbing all surfaces
and inspecting for any untrimmed wires causing shorts.