Nitecore: From out of nowhere

robbydob

Newly Enlightened
Not an old timer here, but I find it really quite fascinating to have watched Nitecore lights explode onto the flashlight scene. I remember stumbling onto the original NDI sales thread and thought wow, what's this all about. Got on the list early and really do the like the light. Then, boom, the Extreme. Not that it received NDI type attention but pretty cool w/ good horsepower. Then.....Kaboom! EX10/D10; piston drive...almost 'super cool'.

The point is, whether you like the lights or not, these guys seemed to have stormed the market with good quality, pretty good pricing, and alot of Threads and discussion. Unprecedented...i'm sure not; but these folks are probably high fiveing each other back at the Plant. And, imo, deservedly so.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This shows once more that nowadays it is surely not enough to have a good product. The way you promote your stuff is the real route to success and I believe that we can agree on the fact that the initial NDI sales thread on CPFM was an actual masterstroke. :cool:

BTW I have a $50 NDI from that first batch and an Extreme, an EX10 already in transit and I am asking myself why shouldn't I get also the D10.....:p

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what happens when you combine passion for flashlights with flexible industry. All of a sudden mass producers of flashlights who are unable to quickly produce what consumers want are shocked by the new guy on the block.

Listening to the consumers and giving them what they want is the best strategy, especially at great prices like what these guys are able to do.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
I LOVE where this is going. I always liked flashlights but then, my choices were shitty little maglites with candle like output so I never used them much..

FsTop

Enlightened
Innovative design and quality manufacturing also count....

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
Just received my NC Extreme today and I must say, quite pleased, what a fine lamp. I purchased mine from Tad Gear on special but they're sold out now and no longer a dealer. Fenixstore.com has them all now and still priced very reasonable. I have some great lamps but this one's the brightest in the single cell family so far and appears extremely (no pun) well made.

holeymoley

Newly Enlightened
This shows once more that nowadays it is surely not enough to have a good product. The way you promote your stuff is the real route to success and I believe that we can agree on the fact that the initial NDI sales thread on CPFM was an actual masterstroke. :cool:

BTW I have a $50 NDI from that first batch and an Extreme, an EX10 already in transit and I am asking myself why shouldn't I get also the D10.....:p

Agreed...even the title of that thread was brilliant ~"NDI, titan for the masses?" It made me want to find out:huh: I also got one for $50, and I can honestly say that I was extremely happy at the quality of the light.

I also jumped on the EX10 bandwagon this weekend even though I absolutely do not need another CR123 light. I am unable to resist the blitz of PD threads and all this talk about the piston drive and even the teaser pics.

You would think I would be resentful that I am such a sucker for these products, but they really seem to make a good light. So since Nitecore can fulfill the hype, I will stay on board.

Aluminous

Enlightened
Nitecore/Edgetac does move impressively fast. :cool:

I wonder how long their development cycle is (when did they start working on the EX10/D10, how long before the release?). It seems like they must've been working on these with 4sevens starting before the admission that they were going to be replacing Tadgear with a different US distributor (shortly thereafter bringing news that it would be FenixStore). People had been suggesting for FenixStore to be added as a dealer since the early Nitecore threads; I guess Nitecore was secretly paying attention to that back then and so decided to pursue business with FenixStore.

They are also one of the few guys using a harder aluminum alloy 7075 than more expensive lights.
I'm curious, who are the others?

bltkmt

Enlightened
Has there been any mention of their making an AAA light, hopefully with the PD system, in any of the zillion threads lately? Just curious, as I would be ALL OVER that light.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Chinese lights are popular today, just as Japanese products were (before they became high priced), just as Taiwanese goods were (before their price went up). As China's standard of living improves & wages increase, NiteCore, Fenix, et al, will sell at or near SureFire prices. Another emerging country will fill the void when that happens.

carrot

Flashaholic
Yeah... no.
That CPFMP sales thread for the NDI seriously turned me off on Nitecore. A pre-pay of that scale, with tiered pricing and from a completely unknown manufacturer? You gotta be kidding. The only reason I changed my mind about Nitecore is because I spoke with 4sevens and he was exceedingly happy with Nitecore and their build quality. That, and 4sevens' design goals are similar to mine (simplicity of operation).

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore is not a new player. Some of them(Nitecore employees) have been in the flashlight business, so some experience there.

Rzr800

Enlightened
Not only did the custom and "buy american, by God!" crowd treat Nitecore like less than fellow human beings from the very beginning...but they often piled on anybody who dared defend their right to market their product in the first place or be treated just as respectfully as anybody else up here.

It was a huge lesson in common decency that I'm not sure many bothered to learn and I would just like to (belatedly) thank some of the few CPF members up here who very publicly fought back against the obvious prejudice exhibited day in and day out against them.

I have never witnessed a company treated that poorly up here on the net and I hope to never again witness folks simply sit back and witness it happening....sans the stones to say a word about it. :shakehead

bltkmt

Enlightened
I am not here to judge how Nitecore was treated. I simply saw an interesting new light for about $40 (if I was willing to act quickly and take a slight perceived risk), and jumped on it. Have not looked back. The light proved to be special (I was able to trade it for a beloved Atwood Bottlebug) and I am very enthusiastic about my new EX10. So far, Nitecore has proven to deliver a very special product in my eyes.

Rzr800

Enlightened
Nitecore is not a new player. Some of them(Nitecore employees) have been in the flashlight business, so some experience there.

Thank you for reminding folks of this and would add that they managed to outperform (actually dominate) a good share of their industry peers up on this forum for a good period of time there afterwards.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually I can think of one or two more brands from the same region which 'exploded' even more violently and quickly got distributed to many dealers worldwide. Their products however does not really sweeten my coffee and threads on these lights popup like mushrooms every now which rapidly induce vomit everytime I visit the LED forum. It's the same case with the nitecore now.

However, my first Nitecore is interesting. I looked at the build quality, knurling, wall thickness, it's all good. Boy! I am glad I am the #5 to get the discounted NDI :p.

I think Nitecore should just add this to their advertistments...
"Nitecore - Light, Out of Nowhere" Hahaha much better than "Strong Light".

Illum

Flashaholic
Its not really a surprise, many light company's turn out fantastic products. Just because it didn't have a place on the forum doesn't mean its origins are spontaneous