• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Recall of La Petitie Killer

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
9/3/08 EDIT

The reverse polarity boards for the Killer have arrived!

RPConverters.jpg

For those who have returned their Killers for the installation of the RP converter instead of the PEEK sleeve option, the payment of the $10 fee for a new Killer head with the RP converter installed is now due.

End Edit

The replacement options:

1) I will install the PEEK sleeve and ship your original Killer back to you, with the solder blob also fixed, for no charge to you--in fact I will throw in at least a couple of Renata batteries to cover your return postage on the Killer, or

2) I can build a new head using the reversed polarity converter and return your Killer a bit later, i.e., most likely this would take a month. There would be an additional charge of $10 for the new head in lieu of the old head, but no shipping charges, and the couple of spare batteries for your return postage would also be in effect.

Am I embarrassed by this fiasco? You bet, but as I've noted before--I learn from my mistakes. No more indications of interest threads, no more rushing to get things out before they have been thoroughly field tested, yada, yada. :D

Please e-mail me for my address, if you don't already have it, for returning the Killers. Also, please send me an e-mail at once, if you know that you'd like a refund instead of the repair or replacement.

Thanks, and I do apologize for the mess.

For those who have yet to even receive their Killer, please e-mail me and let me know if you would like a refund, or will be willing to wait for the new reverse-polarity converter board to arrive.

Last edited:

jefft

Enlightened
Re: Issues/Problems with La Petite Killer

Hmm, I see. I was wondering why my light arrived DOA. Since it was one of the early ones shipped out, I guess the electrolyte residue problem is what I'm experiencing. Is there any special procedure for cleaning out the dried-on electrolyte? Is it too late for a distilled water rinse?

StrayLight

Enlightened

Thanks for addressing these issues quickly and publicly.

Mine was DOA. I don't have the means to test the battery, or know off the top of my head where to find replacements. I do see a bit of what may be electrolyte near the negative contact. I can't really say if the anodizing is high enough. I've got no soldering skills, so I'd like to send mine back to have the blob augmented and the anodizing checked.

x923x

Newly Enlightened

Yes, thank you for this info. Mine was not DOA, it did have a little bit of juice when it arrived but only for a few seconds. I'm going to get some new batteries tomorrow to see if it's the soldering blob issue you mentioned since I was able to twist it on and have it flash on for a second. I was able to do this two or three times looking for the "sweet spot" for it to stay on before it went completely out. Once I install a fresh battery I'll continue to test. Either way it's still a very cool little light!

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmm, I see. I was wondering why my light arrived DOA. Since it was one of the early ones shipped out, I guess the electrolyte residue problem is what I'm experiencing. Is there any special procedure for cleaning out the dried-on electrolyte? Is it too late for a distilled water rinse?

Hi Jeff,

Not too late at all--the residue is easily removed with a toothpick, and then cleaning with either distilled water and drying, or with Isopropyl Alcohol.

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for addressing these issues quickly and publicly.

Mine was DOA. I don't have the means to test the battery, or know off the top of my head where to find replacements. I do see a bit of what may be electrolyte near the negative contact. I can't really say if the anodizing is high enough. I've got no soldering skills, so I'd like to send mine back to have the blob augmented and the anodizing checked.

Yes, please send the Killer back. Most of the electrolyte would appear in the corners of the battery tube, as capillary forces drew the liquid to the junction of those two surfaces. What you may be seeing near the battery button is just small areas of unanodized Ti where the nail polish masking went slightly past the button. Those small bare Ti areas near the button are no issue--the battery physically can not reach them.

Chief-Yeah

Newly Enlightened

I also received mine DOA but with a fresh battery it seems fine so I'm going to keep mine because "I like angst in my life".In fact I've already modified it with the addition of a smaller split ring and two gitd o-rings.
It is a pretty cool little light,I've seen women wear earrings bigger then this.....hey,there's an idea

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh boy Fred, little package but big trouble!! Sorry for that same trouble!

Karl

knifebright

Enlightened

AAA tube definatly for me if it happens! Thanks for the tube idea :). My liL Killa's sitting at my appartment as I'm out of town but when I get back if anything is wrong I'll let ya know but i'm sure I'm in the group of "I need more angst in my life" ;)
Jimmy

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Fred , how long does the light can actually stay on before it drops the amperage to unusable levels??

jefft

Enlightened

Fred, light's coming back. After electrolyte scrape and rinse, the light is still wonky so I think I'll take up up on your repair option. Thanks for being so proactive about this.

Erasmus

Flashlight Enthusiast

La Petite Suicider :p

Last edited:

GeorgeMaggos

Newly Enlightened

AAA Battery Tube Possibility??
I've already had suggestions/requests for a AAA battery tube option for the Killer. This might be a great option since the AAA would have higher capacity and AAA batteries are widely available. If you might be interested, post your interest here. If there is enough interest, I'll get a quote from the shop.

Hey Fred,

I dont have my 2 La Petite Killer's yet I am # 66 & 67 on the list but the AAA battery tube sounds great & I would be very interested in that option as well. I would need both a bare AAA tube & a turquoise AAA tube to match my lights. I am looking very forward to recieving these little Killer's I cant wait to attach it to my keyring :)

Thanks for all your time & effort Fred I appreciate it ;)
~George

foxracer72

Newly Enlightened

just got mine in the mail today, unfortunately it was doa, i hope its just a dead battery ill go to the store and try to find that battery type. but its a beautiful little light, cant wait to get it going:)

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received mine, DOA also.. Upon opening the light up I noticed a red fluid in the battery, solder blob and threads, I have no idea what the stuff is. Checked the battery for voltage and it was dead, no reading at all. Replaced the battery and it worked so I guess it turned on during shipping and arrived dead. I'm guessing the red fluid must be battery acid, but I don't know...

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Received mine, DOA also.. Upon opening the light up I noticed a red fluid in the battery, solder blob and threads, I have no idea what the stuff is. Checked the battery for voltage and it was dead, no reading at all. Replaced the battery and it worked so I guess it turned on during shipping and arrived dead. I'm guessing the red fluid must be battery acid, but I don't know...

The "red stuff" is Pro Gold, and nothing to worry about. I posted already that I put Pro Gold just about everywhere. :D

Pro Gold prevents oxidation and facilitates electrical conductivity.

The Killer will now be shipped without the battery in it. Anyone who has received a Killer with a dead battery should e-mail me and I'll send you a couple new batteries.

Last edited: